shape
carat
color
clarity

Dounts after Ring Purchase and Indepedent Appraisal just received

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Hi. I got some great responses from my previous post confirming the purchase of my 3 stone diamond ring. I got the independent appraisal today and the value is fine, but the grading differs from the store''s appraisal. Here are the specs on the ring one more time:

Center stone
Round Brilliant
GIA Certified
1.03 carats
VS2I
59.1 depth
62 table
Symmetry Very Good
Polish Very Good
No Florescence

2 Side stones
Round Brilliant (uncertified)
VS1 G/H
.38 each

The ring is in a platinum setting and we paid about $6000 plus tax. The dealer appraised the ring for $11,200.

Now, here is how the independent appraisal came out. The center stone matched perfectly, not surprising with the GIA cert. However, one of the side stones was graded SI1 and the other an SI2. This to me seems like a significant downgrade from the stores VS1.

On the positive side, this independent appraiser who I knew upfront would not inflate the appraisal like many do and who is GIA certified appraised the ring for $7700. He was surprised I paid only $6000, as he claims most of his appraisals come in at close to the purchase price.

Nevertheless, I am disturbed about the side stones grading so low, yet the most important stone is the center stone with matched perfectly. All in all, I believe I got a good deal.

For those reading this for the first time, this local jewelrer attempted to match a ring I was about to purchase from Costco, who as many know guarantee a grade VS2 I or better. They designed the ring exactly as was pictured on the Costco.com. I got better in color, yet lower on clarity. Also, they gave me somewhat larger stones, as Costco ring was 1 ct in the middle and .33 on the sides. I ended up with 1.03 in the middle and .38 on the sides, so I look at it as kind of a wash. Are these appraisal grading differences common and should I address the jewelry store with this and demand that they replace the stones with the quality they promised? After all, I still paid about $1700 under retail. I love my ring and know the the visual difference between the SI 1/2 and VS1 I will not be significant because of their sizes. The dealer only will give me store credit. I wonder if I should have stayed with Costco for their promised ideal cuts and guaranteed quality.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results