shape
carat
color
clarity

Doubts after Ring Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Hi. If only I had discovered this wonderful site prior to purchasing a diamond ring for our 10th wedding anniversary. I posted before about how a local reputable jeweler beat the price of a costco ring by $1000. After we received the ring, I went to this site and learned that an EGL certified ring is not as good as GIA, the cut was only an average cut, in fact the depth was very high at 64.1%. The return policy is store credit, so I brought my concern to the dealer and he suggested I upgrade to a very good cut, as there is no really visible difference between a very good cut and an excellent cut. So, I paid $1000 more and I will tell you what I got:
VS2 I
1.03 carat round brilliant center stone
GIA certified (but nothing inscribed on the ring)
6.54-6.59x3.88mm
Depth 59.1
Table 62%
Girdle Medium to slightly thick faceted
Culet none
Very good Polish and Symmetry
No Florescence
Although the table is towards the large side, it has a good spread and looks much bigger than the the previous stone. The brilliance and fire appears good, although I have since learned that a Sarin report will give me more details on the cut than the GIA.
The setting is platinum and there are two side stones weighing .38 carat each that are VS1 I, but not certified. The dealer is the only one in our city that does appraisals, and it will take a couple of weeks for me to receive mine. I also plan to take it to an independent appraiser to make sure the ring matches the GIA cert. We paid $6000.
My only concern is the GIA cert says no florescence, yet in bright sunlight the stone has a blue hue to it. Could it be because of the fire? I guess I am trying to appease my own mind until the independent appraisal confirms that all is fine. Again, this is a very reputable dealer and I am embarrassed to call them and challenge the florescence issue until I get feedback from this board.
So, my two questions are: How is the price of the ring? I did some looking around at Blue Nile and Good Old Gold and saw that I perhaps paid $500 or so more than I could have, but this dealer promises service after the sale with bi-monthly cleanings and prong checks. I only get store credit for any returns, so if the GIA cert does not match the appraisal, I guess I am stuck. I wonder if I should have gone with the Costco ring which ended up at the same price, as I have since learned on this site that the cuts are often ideal with H&A patterns.
Thanks for the anticipated feedback!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

I think that you can relax - most round diamonds that have a balance of white light and fire exhibit this phenomenon. Not necessarily blue, but a darkish tint in bright sunlight. If you shade the diamond with your hand in the sunlight, you will see that it displays much better. Also, on a more overcast day, diamonds look their best. In my opinion, round diamonds do not look as good in direct, bright sunlight. My diamond is an F color, no flourescence, GIA cert, H&A and absolute fireball in most any lighting situation, and I have other diamonds as well that behave in this manner.
10.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi H.L. It's tough to tell without the crown and pavilion information, but it looks to me like you probably bought a great color and clarity diamond with a very good (probably an AGA Class 2) cut.

Did the price include the mounting and sales tax?

The blue you're seeing could be one of the components of the "fire" (colored light return). You'll see all the colors of the rainbow at one time or another in the dispersed colored light return, and blue is one of the predominant color flashes exhibited.

If the stone is GIA certified you don't have much to worry about with the grading, and chances are pretty good that the cert will match up with the stone.

Congratulations!

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Thanks Caratgirl and Rich. You have put my mind at ease. Rich, the price did include the mounting, but not the tax. How is the price according to this information?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Also, if the blue you're seeing is light blue, it could be a reflection of the sky.

sweetlou

Rough_Rock
Hey there.
I think you did ok with the price you paid.
Asyou said you could have possibly got the ring for $500. or so less, but if there offering service and there reputable that makes up for it.
As for as the floresence, if the GIA cert says no floresence, then its been truly tested and it should have any. What you have seen in the sun is normal.
However you should get the independant appraisel for piece of mind.
Over all you did good. Rest easy.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly this stone sounds better than the first one you posted on, so you probably did a better job this time around!
1.gif
The independent appraisal will be able to give you the best indicator IMO. But if you love the look of the stone, that's the real point. This stone will definitely look bigger than the 64.1% depth one as I am sure you were losing tons of carat weight in that deeph stone. This one with the larger table and slightly shallower depth should look a bit bigger, maybe something like a 1.05c or similar. Since your last stone (if it was 1c) with that depth probably looked more like a .95 or similar...you will definitely see the difference which you already noted. That's a plus!
1.gif

My stone also exhibits a very blue hue in direct sunlight, to be honest I don't like it at all. It makes the stone look very odd. But others have also said that direct sunlight is not the best way to view a stone, and an overcast day is indeed the best kind of natural light for my diamond to be very beautiful and look very 'sharp' and faceted inside (if that makes any sense). It could also be that stones like ours (for mine is also a larger table, shallower depth stone, looks bigger) the blue hue is intensified. Who really knows!
1.gif
I don't recall looking at other women's diamonds in the sun to see that same blue hue. My diamond has faint fluor.

Good luck with the appraisals and congrats!
1.gif
Finding the board after the fact but still being able to do something to better your situation is always nice.

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I guess my only regret at this point is had I stayed with the original Costco ring that I may have ended up with an ideal cut stone with H&A pattern, but who will really know. I love the stone I have and it is adored by our friends and as long as the independent appraisal supports the GIA cert, which it probably will, I still have a good cut stone. This has been a lesson for me. I think next time around, I may consider the internet due to what I have read on pricescope. All is all, I got a reasonable deal despite the lack of knowledge I had in the beginning. Thanks again for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results