shape
carat
color
clarity

Doozey of Diamond Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smithy

Rough_Rock
Wise diamond people, I have a puzzle:
Three diamonds that I am looking at all appear identical from the available info I have, but differ quite a bit in price in $/Carat from $3,385 to $3,440 per carat
See for your self on pricescope (which rocks!)
0.75 F VS2 60.7% depth 55% table 5.85x5.88x3.56
Does anyone know (1) why the prices vary so much; (2) how well regarded is EGL as a diamond grader (compared to, say, GIA and AGS etc); and (3) whether I can I tell from the info whether the diamonds are an excellent / ideal cut.

I have had a look into depth and table ratios, and measurements as well, but I thought I''d check with you diamond gurus...

Smithy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Smithy
35.gif

OK first thing, as some diamonds are considered to be ' virtual' and are released to different vendor's databases from the cutting houses, you could be seeing the exact same diamond on many different websites and varying prices. Also with some vendors you can get a discount by paying by wire transfer, this can account for a lower or different price too.

EGL is considered by some to be softer on grading than GIA and AGS, EGL USA is considered the most reliable, there are many other branches however with varying reps such as EGL Europe, Antwerp, Israel etc. EGL graded diamonds usually carry a lower price tag than GIA or AGS. You can do a search as this subject has been discussed many times too, which will give you the help you need.

The info given with the diamonds can help you determine how well they are cut, but you need the crown and pavillion angles to be able to make a reasonable judgement as well as depth, table, girdle thickness. These should be listed on the grading reports or even better, if you stick to in house diamonds, or ones that the vendor actually owns, they wil have this info and can eyebll the diamonds for you, without having them called in. Also there is a tool on this site called the Holloway Cut Advisor which can help you narrow your search. Don't automatically assume that if a diamond has an Ideal label on it to describe it's cut that is IS well cut. You have to take each diamond on a case by case basis. All the info you need is here on this site under Advanced Tutorial to help you. Make cut your top priority and you will end up with a beauty!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what Lorelei said.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend sticking to GIA and AGS certs. You have a better chance of knowing what you''re getting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results