shape
carat
color
clarity

donut makes a ring stronger?

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Does the little "donut" thing on the base of solitaires have a structural purpose? I've noticed some rings have them and some don't. Do they provide more support and strength perhaps? Thanks!!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Excellent question. I’m interested in the answer too. I imagine that, just like the foundation on a building, the foundation of a ring is improved by better materials and structural design. But how much torque does a ring need to withstand?

And for low-impact pieces, like necklaces and earrings, can we remove the donut to make the piece lay lower, and not have structural challenges?

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
As a prolific donut maker, I can say that any dunut below a crown is a matter of aesthetic equally as much as it is a matter of structure. I don't know how many solutions there might be to the support side of.it. I haven't been around long enough to see the last of them.

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! I mean as opposed to a ring like the attached that does not have a donut. Would that be much weaker without the donut? 834D6E9B-9C2A-44A1-BE85-15578EAA009F.png

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i think the donut would allow a large stone to set lower if you go for a halo setting. interested to find out more about the function of the donut

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Reviving this thread! I'm curious what the purpose of donuts are? Does the donut prevent diamond bands from rubbing...for example, if ering had a donut with diamonds in the band and the wedding band had diamonds in the band too? It seems like 6 prong settings have a donut and it's rare to find one without. Maybe it's the 6 prongs at the base needing a base and the donut is esthetically pleasing?
If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reviving this thread! I'm curious what the purpose of donuts are? Does the donut prevent diamond bands from rubbing...for example, if ering had a donut with diamonds in the band and the wedding band had diamonds in the band too? It seems like 6 prong settings have a donut and it's rare to find one without. Maybe it's the 6 prongs at the base needing a base and the donut is esthetically pleasing?
If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Victor Canera explains the function of a donut and other aspects of ring design in this educational piece. :)

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you soo much @Lisa Loves Shiny great article!
If an ering and a band both have the same diamonds and a little donut on the ering, does that prevent the damage that diamond on diamond rubbing that might happen if rings were flush? I'm hoping the little donut prevents damage.
My wedding set of 4 years which was flush fit diamond on diamond, showed many loose stones but none damaged thankfully.
Thank you for your insight PS friends!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results