shape
carat
color
clarity

done my homework, still need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dianeflys

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for the input....still searching for a diamond. Re: this one and the one following, is this one such a better diamond that it justifies spending $1,700.00 more?

AGS round brilliant 1.182 ct. H SI2, ACA, $5247.00
HCA 0.7
Five Star Whiteflash rating
Depth %: 61
Table %: 56.8
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15
Star : 55
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 42.8
Lower Girdle %: 76
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Measurements: 6.80-6.83X4.16
Light Performance: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible

OR..........see next post as I don''t know how to put two images in one post!!

d.d..jpg

dianeflys

Rough_Rock
Sorry all!! I lost my second post! will try again..

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
You can't link to an off-site image. You have to save a copy of it and upload it here to make it display. Only 1 image permitted per post.

These are the PS cheat sheets for diamond parameters:
Todd Gray
Nice Ice Ideal Cut Diamonds
GemTrace Laser Inscribed Diamond Registry
crown 34.3 - 34.8 degrees
pav 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
table 53 - 57%
depth 59 - 61.8%
(HVVS comment: 55% table is likely to be the minimum typically on a H&A RB listed by a PS vendor.)

FB's pick:
GIA Excellent cut grade.
Very good or better polish.
Excellent symmetry.
Not sitting right on a carat boundary; go at least a couple of % above the magic weight marker.
Medium girdle, or medium-sl.thick, or thin-medium (but don't accept thin-slightly thick; it's too variable).
Total depth: 61.8% maximum.
Table size: 55-57%
Crown angle: 34.5 degrees.
Pavilion angles: 40.8 degrees.

("Borrowed" from Lorelei )
depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above
From expert John Pollard.

With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

=============================================
Garry, maybe? I'm not sure who said this. -- HVVS
"A good recipe for a diamond that has more brightness and less fire would be to have a larger table, flatter crown and deeper pavilion. Something along the lines of:

Crown angle: 33.0
Pavilion angle: 41.0
Table: 59-60%
Depth: 58-61%"

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience, ACAs are all nicely cut. Is that SI2 eye clean?

dianeflys

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the confusion...here''s number two, from James Allen

GIA 1.01 Round brilliant G SI2 $3,540.00
HCA 0.9
Cut: Ideal
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35
Crown %: 15
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 43
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Cutlet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.40*6.45*3.95

Thank you for the input!!..
28.gif

j.allen.JPG

dianeflys

Rough_Rock
Here''s an Idealscope image, I hope, of the first one...

whtflash.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA does not have the same upgrade policy that WF has, and I don''t think they have a lifetime buyback policy. Check those things if they matter.

I would rather have the G SI2 for less money if it were me. Just make sure it is eye clean to your standrds before you buy, and check it out BIG TIME when you get it home so that you can exchange within the refund period if you are not happy with the inclusions.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 5:05:41 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
JA does not have the same upgrade policy that WF has, and I don''t think they have a lifetime buyback policy. Check those things if they matter.

I would rather have the G SI2 for less money if it were me. Just make sure it is eye clean to your standrds before you buy, and check it out BIG TIME when you get it home so that you can exchange within the refund period if you are not happy with the inclusions.
+1.

If H&A is not important to you, IS on the JA looks good.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It''d be a lot easier to compare if you included the links. Of course the ACA is going to be more expensive but whether it''s worth the extra money is up to you.

dianeflys

Rough_Rock
Thank you Dreamer and HVVS!...

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Of those two, the Whiteflash is more likely to be almost eye clean close up. The JA looks like it has black or dark inclusions in the photo, not good for a ring. My preference with SI2 is that the inclusion be anyplace except the table, lol. (So what did I buy? SI2 in the table.) A table inclusion might always be visible at just the right tilt or just the right lighting. Read the thread here about what constitutes "eye clean" for various vendors. Some say it's clean at 18" and that's pretty darned lenient.
Lots of women would not pick a table inclusion for an e-ring. Be sure that you and the vendor and the wearer all agree on what is acceptably eye clean.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my SI2 with table inclusion. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5380/ Picked for superb cut, F color, value, and didn't have to be totally eye clean. You can look at GOG's photos. The inclusion is a garnet color crystal. I don't have a great camera but in the pic I took, you can make out the crystal. Most of the time it is not noticed. But at just the right tilt and lighting, it really stands out like a teeny speck of dark nail polish on the diamond. That kind of thing might freak some people out. I looked at it as it's less than half the price of the same performance and color in VS clarity, lol.

IMG_0765_a.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 7:06:36 PM
Author: HVVS
Here''s my SI2 with table inclusion. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5380/ Picked for superb cut, F color, value, and didn''t have to be totally eye clean. You can look at GOG''s photos. The inclusion is a garnet color crystal. I don''t have a great camera but in the pic I took, you can make out the crystal. Most of the time it is not noticed. But at just the right tilt and lighting, it really stands out like a teeny speck of dark nail polish on the diamond. That kind of thing might freak some people out. I looked at it as it''s less than half the price of the same performance and color in VS clarity, lol.
That''s a gorgeous stone! I love crystals! The thought of a garnet inside a diamond is so cool!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my SI2 with table inclusion. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5380/ Picked for superb cut, F color, value, and didn't have to be totally eye clean. You can look at GOG's photos. The inclusion is a garnet color crystal. I don't have a great camera but in the pic I took, you can make out the crystal. Most of the time it is not noticed. But at just the right tilt and lighting, it really stands out like a teeny speck of dark nail polish on the diamond. That kind of thing might freak some people out. I looked at it as it's less than half the price of the same performance and color in VS clarity, lol.
My table inclusion is the same, but it isn't red! I bought it for the same reasons you bought yours.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 9:10:03 PM
Author: swingirl

Here''s my SI2 with table inclusion. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5380/ Picked for superb cut, F color, value, and didn''t have to be totally eye clean. You can look at GOG''s photos. The inclusion is a garnet color crystal. I don''t have a great camera but in the pic I took, you can make out the crystal. Most of the time it is not noticed. But at just the right tilt and lighting, it really stands out like a teeny speck of dark nail polish on the diamond. That kind of thing might freak some people out. I looked at it as it''s less than half the price of the same performance and color in VS clarity, lol.
That''s a gorgeous stone! I love crystals! The thought of a garnet inside a diamond is so cool!!
I agree, its way kewl!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 5:42:09 PM
Author: dianeflys

'It'd be a lot easier to compare if you included the links. Of course the ACA is going to be more expensive but whether it's worth the extra money is up to you.'

Here goes:............

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1112000.asp

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2199900.htm

Thanks again..

It does depend whether these are eyeclean and if you prefer having a h&a diamond which comes with upgrade policies and suchlike. Check also with the JA stone that the grade making clouds aren't impacting performance, one of the gemologists can make sure for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results