shape
carat
color
clarity

Doggie illness :(

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My poor boy is sick. The vet has diagnosed him with HGE (Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis). Yesterday, he threw up belly juice as we call it. That's not that unusual for him. He has a very sensitive tummy and he throws up if his meals aren't timed well (due to reflux) and, with a toddler around, he sometimes gets his paws on things he shouldn't. He refused dinner last night and seemed kind of lethargic. He would get up now and then but only to reposition himself. He also responded to my pets with a health tail wag. Our plan was to call the vet this morning. When we woke, we let him out as usual and he seemed to be struggling to go to the bathroom. I went out to investigate and saw blood. He had bloody stool. It was very little (stool, that is) but the entire thing was brick red. I was pretty freaked out. We were fortunate because we called the vet and she had an opening in 30 minutes. DH took him in as I had work and she was able to rule out other things with a full panel. She doesn't know what caused the HGE and says we caught it early and he should recover in a few days. BUT, my poor dog has to stay there on IV fluids and meds for 2 or 3 days. He's such an anxious dog and has never stayed anywhere but our house. We can visit him and bring his favorite things but I just can't help but feel so terrible for him.

This whole thing has me belly-aching. I'm just so sad for him. I don't know my reason for posting this other than knowing this is a pretty dog friendly community here and a lot of you can relate.

Gosh, DH is going to have to commit me when my dog's time comes!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! T has had this twice -- both times we had to go to the overnight Vet E/R. It's so terrible & the cause is never known. If your baby is anxious though I'd highly recommend getting a DAP collar. They emit some kind of calming pheramone, all natural. We use it for T when she's going to stay with a sitter for a few days or if she's going through an anxious period (like when I'm working away from the house for an extended period of time.) You can buy them online or get them from the Vet.

I hope you all are feeling much better ASAP!!!!!!

ETA: Also, it might help him to bring over some lightly dirty piece of clothing that smells like you or whoever his "person" is ... and ask they Vet to put it with him during the treatment. Sometimes the smell of home is comforting!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so sorry puppmom! :((
Hope your dog starts feeling better very soon! I second Deco's suggestion of bringing him some comforting item from home with your scent on it.
Hugs to you and your dog!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Aw... Poor doggy... ;(
And poor you! It's heart breaking to see them hurting and we can't take the pain away for them.

When my monster had to stay overnight at the vet's on IV fluids because he was puking for an unknown reason, we brought him his blanket, DH's worn T-shirt (so he had scents from home around him), and his favourite stuffed toy. Maybe if you give your doggy some cuddly things that smell like home, it might help him.

I hope he gets better quickly!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are with you as well. I wish so much that we could explain that this strange, sterile, weird smelling place is not an exile, but is because we love them. Sometimes I wish I could climb in the cage and we would both relax and fall asleep. Obviously, anything you can do to make him feel at home such as a certain toy and an old sweet smelling (to him) blanket. If he really is anxious, maybe the vet could give him something to make him relax and then maybe time would go by faster and he would sleep?

Please let us know how he does - for that matter, how you're doing too! Dust and hugs to you

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, guys. You're the best! This guy is a child to me and it feels awful leaving him there. Knowing that it's what will make him better definitely softens the blow.

DH is bringing his bed and food (they want to reintroduce his food before he leaves). I asked him to add one of his t-shirts to the bag. He loves me but he REALLY loves DH. He's 90lbs and 28inches from floor to shoulder but DH often finds himself tripping over him because he's glued to him!

I had a little cry at my desk but I'm doing okay. I really really appreciate your posts of support. I'll keep you posted.

ETA - Deco, thanks for the pointer on the collar. Someone at work also recommended something called a "thunder jacket" so I'm going to look into it. I would imagine we should have something on hand in the future even if we can't get it in time to use for this vet stay.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry Puppmom! Its horrible when our pets get sick. Our dog, Blossom, got quite sick a couple of months ago. She kept vomiting and was so miserable. We took her to the out of hours vet (why do kids and dogs get sick when everything is closed?!) and she had an injection to stop her throwing up. We were allowed to take her home and she got better over a few days. It cost us £220 just for that one visit and injection. We do have pet insurance but it wasn't worth claiming and having vomiting listed as a previous illness. They get funny about paying out for a pre-existing condition after renewal.

She is a Labrador and apparently they like to eat anything and everything. No surprises that she got sick. I bet she ate fox poo or something!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, you're right. They're timing is always impeccable! The timing was horrible in terms of money. We had several contractors to our house this week for home improvements and writing the big check to the vet is going to hurt. However, we were lucky in that DH is home for spring break so we noticed things about his behavior that we may not have if we were at work all day. I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have caught it so early if this was a normal work week.

So here's the update - DH visited while I was at work yesterday and he received his usual very excited greeting which was a great sign. He said you couldn't tell Hollis was sick other than the IV and bandage on his leg. The vet asked DH to take him for a walk because he refused when they tried. They didn't think he refused because he was too sick and tired. She was pretty sure he was just being stubborn/nervous because the surroundings were unfamiliar. They were certain he had to pee because they had pumped him full of fluids. She was right...he went for a walk with DH and peed straight away. DH and Hollis had a nice visit and DH left behind his food, treats and one of his shirts for comfort.

We got a call first thing this morning from the vet saying he had a great night and that he is responding really well to the IV treatment. IF he eats AND keeps it down AND has a normal BM AND his red blood cell count is down, he can come home TONIGHT! :appl:

Thanks for listening.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it's always difficult when a furbaby is sick. :blackeye: It's bad enough that they feel terrible, but then they also have to be away from you as well. I hope your bub is able to come home asap - it'll be lovely for you and your husband to have him back in the house. :bigsmile:

kefira

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad your baby is on the mend. It's lucky for him that you did catch it so quickly. My fingers are crossed that he comes home tonight!

I totally understand about trying to comfort your pup while he's been "kicked out," as he may think. I'm so scared of something like this with our pup. He's TERRIBLE with strangers, and going for his dental was a mini disaster. He's a rescue who's been with two previous families and is terrified of being abandoned again. We are going to start seeing a behaviorist this weekend to help him, but I'm considering buying a Thundershirt as well. Let us know if you get him one; I'd love to know your pup's reaction.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom - Glad to hear Hollis is on the mend! Hope he's home soon! Care to share any pics of your little guy? You know how we are about photos here!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news! I feel ya on the $$ though - ouchville. :-o Worth every penny though! :twirl:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, when I get home and have a moment, I'll pop back in with a picture. He's the most handsome dog ever. :bigsmile:

So, the vet called DH because they couldn't get Hollis to eat. This isn't surpising because he's pretty high maintenance and, like I said, anxious in new environments. Fortunately, DH is off and headed straight to the vet's office to help. He still wouldn't eat the food from his bowl when DH arrived but was acting completely normal otherwise. So...the only way he would eat is if DH had him do tricks for the food. :lol: They got about a half cup of kibble and 3 sweet potato fries in him over about 20 minutes of some sit, stay, shake, catch etc. He must be feeling better because he's back to his naughty self! :naughty:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1333646549|3164194 said:
LV, when I get home and have a moment, I'll pop back in with a picture. He's the most handsome dog ever. :bigsmile:

So, the vet called DH because they couldn't get Hollis to eat. This isn't surpising because he's pretty high maintenance and, like I said, anxious in new environments. Fortunately, DH is off and headed straight to the vet's office to help. He still wouldn't eat the food from his bowl when DH arrived but was acting completely normal otherwise. So...the only way he would eat is if DH had him do tricks for the food. :lol: They got about a half cup of kibble and 3 sweet potato fries in him over about 20 minutes of some sit, stay, shake, catch etc. He must be feeling better because he's back to his naughty self! :naughty:

Great news! Happy to hear he's on the mend. Having a sick pup is always tough. Sending good healthy dust his way!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
We bought a thundershirt for Louie to use during storms. It really does seem to help calm him down. There are videos about them on youtube.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like he is a lot better! I hope he comes home really soon!!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
More healing thoughts your way, puppmom! Hope your furbabe eats, shoots, and leaves!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
So glad to hear your guy is feeling better! :D

Hope he gets to come home soon!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thinking about you and Hollis and I'm hoping he's on his way home! Overnight stays are tough, home doesn't feel like home without them!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reunited and it feels so good... :love:

They said he could come home tonight! We picked him up about an hour ago. Vet was very pleased with his response to the treatment and we can continue with the antibiotics in pill form at home. She thought the earliest he would come home is tomorrow so we're thrilled!

The vet gave us some extra doggie pepcid since he's been getting hold of food he shouldn't since DS drops a lot. In true Hollis fashion, we didn't even make it through the front door and he ate two crackers that DS left in the stroller. :rolleyes: I guess such is life with a dog and a toddler but we're going to have to be more diligent. Hollis didn't even know what table food smelled like until DS came along.

LV, as requested...a picture from earlier this year. Ain't he the cutest?

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It really means a lot.

IMG_5014.jpg

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
He's adorable! I'm glad he's feeling better. I know how you feel. My baby girl was hooked up to an IV at the vet for gastroenteritis a few months ago. The look on their faces when they're sick and can't tell us exactly what's wrong is just ;( you know?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear your baby is home with you. And yes, he's a very handsome boy.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, he is the cutest!! He looks like such a GOOD boy! Thanks for posting a pic, and glad to hear he's doing so much better!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Aww.... What a handsome boy.

Glad to hear he's home :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, he's a real sweetie!!! So glad he's home and doing better! :appl:

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear that he's better. He's gorgeous!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, so glad to hear that Hollis is better! He's a cutie pie! I hear ya on it being difficult to keep "taboo" things out of doggie's mouths with young kids in the house.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad he is home. He is very handsome! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! So glad he is home safe and sound with his family again!!! :appl: He is quite the good looking boy...I bet he has all the female doggies in the neighborhood going wild for him! :love:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update...Hollis is doing fantastic. He's finished with his antibiotics over the coming weekend. The vet had us giving him Pepcid for a week just to ensure his reflux doesn't act up. We just have to decide now whether or not we continue it. I guess some research is in order. I'm just not sure what the long term effect would be of taking it daily. He is much more enthusiastic about eating (his own food) these days so I'm wondering if it's the Pepcid.

We're still struggling with some food stealing. He's so quick! We don't allow him near the kitchen table while we're eating but he's been known to snatch DS's breakfast now and then because he eats in the living room. He's never taken it from DS but, if we leave the bowl unattended for a millisecond, he's on it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results