shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your husband wear his wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Growing up, I never saw my father take off his wedding band. In fact, I don''t know if it even comes off anymore! My father is a farmer and often works on machinary--I''ve urged him to take off his ring when he''s working on a tractor for safety reasons, but he''ll have none of it. My mom is the same way--they both have very simple, thin gold bands (farmers are poor) that are worn within an inch of their lives!

My FIL has never worn his wedding band--he said he took it off the minute they left city hall and hasn''t worn it since. What can I say, the man doesn''t like any jewelry.

When we were shopping for D''s wedding band I asked him if he was going to wear it or if it was just for the ceremony--I didn''t want to spend a ton on a platinum band if it was going to be on his hand for 15 minutes and never see daylight again. He said he didn''t think he''d wear a ring, but he wanted platinum, anyway, so we''d have matching bands. Of course. I didn''t really think twice about it--I didn''t care if he wore it or not.

Strangely enough, though, he''s very attached to his ring. He doesn''t wear it if he''s on a mountaineering expedition and neither of us wear them when we are rock climbing, but he says that he feels naked without it and prefers wearing it to not wearing it.

So I''m curious--for the men, do you all wear your rings? And for the women, do your husbands wear their wedding band all the time? None of the time? Sometimes?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH always wears his band. There are 3 exceptions: 1) when he goes to work out 2) when we''re sleeping 3) when he golfs. During our honeymoon, we found out that if he sweats, his sweat will get caught under the ring and cause a bad skin reaction. Both of us wore our rings when sleeping for about 6 mos, but noticed that our fingers were swelling at night, and started taking them off.

My dad sometimes wears his and sometimes not. Growing up, I always remember him wearing his wedding band (REALLY thick wg) and his class ring. He gained weight when I was in HS and no longer wore them for a long time. For Xmas, my mom resized the w-band and I had the class ring re-sized so now he wears both again.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby keeps his on ALL the time, shower, sleep, during activites, etc (24/7). I tell him to let his finger breath every once in awhile so he does that. He feels it is very important to him and he wanted something to say married when we went shopping for rings. So he ended up with a thicker 18k gold wedding band; so that is his "idea of what ring says married." We do have friends who are married and don't wear rings and are very committed; I guess each person is different.

ETA: my dad wears an OEC diamond ring (thick band) ever since his dad gave it to him; he does have a wedding band but wears the ring his father passed on to him.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
When we were first married, he wore it 24/7. We got inexpensive thin gold bands and his got really beat up from wear. Then he gained some weight (ok, quite a bit from our wedding day) and now it doesn''t fit anymore. We priced platinum bands for him since that is what he wants, but he wants a heavy one and they are quite expensive, so he''s been going without for a few years now. If I had the $, I would get him a heavy platinum band tomorrow and I know he''s wear it 24/7 like he did the other one, but for now he is ringless!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
DH wears it when he remembers. I''d say he wears it about 50% of the time. On days when he forgets I tease him that he didn''t feel like being married when he woke up that morning.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen a wedding ring on my father, and for that matter my mom only wears hers on special occasions (maybe 2x per year). Her ring is not even sized properly, so she wears it on the wrong finger too. My mother has a large collection of beautiful YG jewellery with precious stones, but says she grew out of it and now really doesn''t care at all to wear anything apart from her YG hoops.

My DH has worn his wedding band (wide WG ring) 24/7 for the first 3 years after we got married, and then after having it re-rhodium plated, he is more careful and takes it off for gardening, housework etc... If he forgets to wear his ring to work, he comes home and puts it straight on as he feels "naked and unmarried"...lol... so cute
1.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve been married almost 18 years
1.gif
during the first weeks of marriage, DH used to take his ring on and off, it felt very weird to him since he''d never worn any ring before. Since then, I have never seen him take it off. I''m not sure it would come off!
28.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby was wearing his every time he left the house, up until he deployed to the Middle East. He stopped wearing it while he was over there due to the sand constantly getting in it. He was home recently on R&R, and wore it whenever he left the house, so I''m sure when he comes back he''ll start wearing it again just like before...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It never leaves his finger: I think he acclimated to the concept of permanent jewelry via his engineering ring.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby wears his every day and feels lost without it. He does occasionally forget, but this is rare. He orginally thought he would not like wearing it, but quickly got used to it. We''ve been married over 12 years. Neither of us sleep in our rings. We have matching Diana brand bands that are 18k gold on the edges and platinum in the middle. There''s milgrain on the 18k gold. I''ve had the plat part of his polished only once because he got a big ding in it. It came back looking new and is a gorgeous ring. I wear mine only occasionally now on my right hand since it doesn''t really match my current erring. HOWEVER, it is by far my favorite ring! I love the contrast of the 18k gold and the platinum.

My father has worn his every day that I''ve ever seen. And, he works with his hands every day. His is a white gold band with 3 small diamonds at an angle and sort of a wispy design at that.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
My hubby never takes it off. It''s gotten pretty dinged up in the last 6 months, and I suggested that we have it polished, but he won''t take it off. He''s really attached to it.
1.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
He didn''t think he would adjust to it easily, but it wasn''t really an option for him not to wear it... all his friends wear rings, so he was comfortable with the idea. My father has never worn a ring because of the industry he works in, and also because he says his fingers are too short... but my hands are the SAME size and I have TWO rings on my ring finger! I pointed that out to him and he laughed.

Anyway, DH wears his when he leaves the house but often doesn''t wear it around the house. His valet is by the door and that''s where he keeps it. I''d rather he put it there when he comes in then take it off somewhere in the house and lose it. He also has a titanium ring that he wears on community service projects. We were gardening last weekend and he actually ASKED me if it was ok that he was taking his ring off! I held up my bare hand to affirm it. When he does forget to wear it, his coworkers tease him.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH wears it everyday. He does take it off to shower, and the one day he forgot it he actually came home during his lunch to get it!! He''s so adorable.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
My hubby is on his 3rd band. So, yes, he does wear it...Then he''ll lose it! The first one was lost at the park when he was ''goalie'' playing soccer with the kids. The second was lost surfing. When his fingers get cold they constrict a ton. I just get him the cheap titanium bands from eweddingbands.com. I think he does take it off when he is lifting weights so it doesn''t get too scratched.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
DH wears his band all the time. This year, for our 12th annivesary, I had a 10 pt HOF diamond burnished set in his ring. He''s so funny showing off his bling
2.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
FI takes off his cell phone, tie, graduation ring and watch as soon as he gets home and puts them back on only when he leaves. I assume that he''ll do the same with his WB. I paid good money for his diamond band... so he''d better wear it, and put it in its box when he doesn''t!
28.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. He hates jewelry and even really would rather not wear a watch. It bothered me for about two seconds when he told me but it is not an issue.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My parent''s don''t even have wedding bands. My dad wears a ring made from the stones in his mother''s e-ring and my mom has a few rings they alternate.
I suspect my FI will do what I do, wear it when going into public and taking it off when he gets home. He loves the band we have picked, but like me, it feels wierd to have jewelry on when we have our shoes off sort of thing.

diamondsandplatinum

Rough_Rock
My husband never wears his wedding ring. He hates to wear jewelry, but he loves to buy it for me. (not a bad deal...)
He never flirts though...if he did I''d super glue it to his finger!

He also has a job that would require him to take it off all the time.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
My parents never take theirs off. My husband''s parents don''t wear them, but no one really does in the country they are from - my MIL does wear a wedding necklace she removes for sleeping/ showering only.

Apart from the first week or so of marriage, my husband wears his 24/7. When we first got married and were at some restaurant, his hands were underneath the table and I heard this "ping" sound. I knew immediately he was fidgeting with it, and dropped it under the table. I raised my eyebrows and teased him, but I''ve never seen him without it since.

I take my e-ring off for sleeping, bathing, working out, cleaning, and the like. I do wear it every day. I used to wear my e-ring and WB all the time until I chipped my center diamond. I felt sick. It was so upsetting, even though we had insurance and could have had it recut it would never be the same. Now I have a whole new stone/ setting, etc but I am careful with it and wear it solo on my left finger. I have a 3.5mm platinum round channel set band with milgraining DH gave me when our son was born 4 yrs ago that I wear as a RHR and I often move it to my left hand when my e-ring is off as it can and does withstand quite a bit more abuse.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
DH has taken his ring off exactly one time- to let me get it polished at the jeweler''s about 2 years ago! I love that he wears it 24/7, that it''s showing it''s age (5 years
9.gif
) and the style is perfect for him. It''s a two tone men''s ring; yellow gold outside with a raised white gold strip going around the middle. It matches his two tone Omega watch exactly!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not anymore. DH has lost 2 wedding bands in 4+ years, and has issues with rhodium wearing off really quickly, so when I had his current band re-rhodiumed for the second time this year he has not been wearing it much. I really would like to get him a plat. band for our 5th anniversary so he doesn''t have to worry about the WG/rhodium issue. It''s not that he doesn''t want to wear a wedding band, he just knows he isn''t very responsible with his ring and he hates to keep putting money into maintaining the look of the WG one.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Hubbs wears his 24/7...ever since I told him he looks good in a wedding band.

*It did take a few rings to find the perfect one for him though. He has a Platinum one that he doesn''t want to "mess up" and a few different styles of Titanium that he liked but didn''t like that they go dull and grey. Finally he settled on a nice standard style comfort fit 6mm Tungsten band. He loves the weight and that super shine that won''t scratch plus that its durable for a rough and tumble cop.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad has worn his w-ring as long as I can remember, 24/7. He has actually had to have several new w-rings made because the old ones stopped being able to go over his fingers (really nasty arthritis). I think 5 new ones? His ring is silver with triangular turquoise set into it. The second one that was made had a piece of turquoise fall out, but the other ones have just had to go up in size. The ring looks like this, only the turquoise fits flush with the metal:link

My mom wears her rings all the time too, before he got her a diamond for their 27th anniversary, she wore a carved gold band, but since she got her rock, I haven''t seen it since. She wore the band 24/7 and now she wears the diamond 24/7.

I will wear my wring(s) 24/7, but probably not my engagement ring. I''ll probably only wear that for special occasions.

FF will probably complain about wearing the wring for a week or so (not a jewelry guy AT ALL) and then get used to it. I''m pretty determined that he''ll wear it 24/7 or at least while we''re out-and for sure at work so he doesn''t get his stupid students hitting on him. Ok I just asked him and he said he''d wear it 24/7. It''ll be a plain ol'' wg band most likely, unless he wants something else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wrong thread.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, interesting topic! I''d kinda wondered this too, if most husbands wore their rings or no. Seems like most do.

My parents never wore their rings- heh, they were SO FRIGGING UGLY I don''t blame them! Dad was a machinist, so it made sense for that reason too... the rings were made custom in the ''70s, they were these huge, enormous yellow gold bands with these deep random dimples, looked like chicken pox or something, SO ''70s!

The DH wore his most of the time for the first 5 years. Now not often. He plays basketball all the time, and it gets in the way- he''s flung it across the b-ball court more than once. He kept putting it on his key ring after that! Horribly scratched his antique band doing that. He''s incredibly hard on his stuff. He felt bad and put it away, and though I got him a cheap sterling band, he''s afraid to ruin them. So now he goes w/out wb most of the time. I wear an antique e-ring without a wedding band too, actually. I had no idea how many people noticed until I had tons of people asking me "oh, did you just get engaged?"

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
My DH has never taken it off since we got married - can you believe! It''s gotten to be sort of an icon - a couple times I''ve ''almost''taken it off for him, but then left it alone. It''s 18K yellow gold an fortunately it still looks shiny after 7.5 years of marriage.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
DH wears his 24/7, because I asked him to. :D

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2008 1:57:52 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Ooh, interesting topic! I''d kinda wondered this too, if most husbands wore their rings or no. Seems like most do.

My parents never wore their rings- heh, they were SO FRIGGING UGLY I don''t blame them! Dad was a machinist, so it made sense for that reason too... the rings were made custom in the ''70s, they were these huge, enormous yellow gold bands with these deep random dimples, looked like chicken pox or something, SO ''70s!

The DH wore his most of the time for the first 5 years. Now not often. He plays basketball all the time, and it gets in the way- he''s flung it across the b-ball court more than once. He kept putting it on his key ring after that! Horribly scratched his antique band doing that. He''s incredibly hard on his stuff. He felt bad and put it away, and though I got him a cheap sterling band, he''s afraid to ruin them. So now he goes w/out wb most of the time. I wear an antique e-ring without a wedding band too, actually. I had no idea how many people noticed until I had tons of people asking me ''oh, did you just get engaged?''
Oh, when I read that I just winced, as I''m sure you did! If it''s any consolation, my DH travels frequently and once left his band on top of his pocket change on the nightstand of a hotel room...he was a hot mess first trying to figure out how to explain it to me, and second trying to get it back after he realized his mistake in flight that day...we received the ring in a padded brown envelope from the hotel two days later, good lord you''ve never seen a man more apologetic. We laugh about it now...but at the time he was in a wee bit of hot water.
2.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
When we first got married hubby had a very simple domed 4mm yellow gold band that he used to play with constantly. He wouldn''t ever take it off to not wear it but every time he would talk to someone, or he was deep in thought, he would slip it on and off, on and off, and play with it like it was a coin or something. Or he would keep turning it and that would drive me a little nuts because he didn''t even notice he was doing it... He never got "used" to that ring. But last year he gained a bit of weight and it no longer fit, so for Valentines Day I bought him a very thin (not as domed, but not quite flat) 3mm 18k white gold band and I must say I never see him play with it at all. I also have a matching one and it doesn''t feel like I am wearing anything. I think the problem with the first band was that it really was uncomfortable for him and he isn''t a jewelry person. His wband is the only piece he wears, I can''t even get him to wear a watch!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results