shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Your Husband/SO Have An Expensive Hobby, Too?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wondering if most PSers have husbands/SOs with expensive habits of their own to balance out our jewelry buying. :cheeky:

My husband doesn't have any expensive habits to balance mine out, which makes my jewelry spending look worse! (Although...guess that leaves more money for me to buy jewelry with? :devil: ) He doesn't mind me buying jewelry, but he doesn't buy any big ticket things regularly. He does like cycling and has an expensive bike, but he bought it several years ago and isn't the type to own more than one bike at a time. I think I'm going to buy him an expensive watch for our 10 year anniversary to make up for my jewelry habit!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope. He likes to play around with computer stuff, but ... it's cheaper because he does it himself, and we're talking about, like, adding RAM, not upgrading to the newest Apple gadget every time it comes around. And he loves to travel and enjoys eating out and all that, but ... we'll we both benefit by that, you know? When I try to buy him pricey things, 99% of the time he rejects them, because he's very particular, and for him, it's less about objective quality and more about being what he's used to as being comfortable.

On the other hand, he wouldn't shop a sale if it bit him in the ass, whereas I cheap out like it's my job over anything and everything (including the jewels), so I figure the bling is more a balancing incentive.

Nah, I figure he's just a very nice man who doesn't tot things up in a "Me" column vs. a "Him" column - he figures if it makes me happy, it's worth it. But I know what you mean about the occasional guilt ....

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Not really. DH loves to game and has a monster of a computer that could use some updated hardware. I'm thinking of doing that for him for Christmas. Parts should only cost me about $300 so not too bad.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Yes - golf. That can add up! :mad:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SO - Hunting (which I also do) Fishing (which I also do) ATV's (I at least partake lol)... those are the main ones.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, guns and pimping his truck. I made him into a redneck.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Snowboarding, the fact that I am home alone with the kids while he is off playing in the snow usually adds to my justification for planning my next purchase. In a few years we can all go together but until them I hope to be a bejewelled martyr.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband's hobbies are pretty basic, nothing outrageous or anything. We both love to travel, and that can get expensive, depending on where we go and what type of trip it is.

He loves to play hockey on his Xbox, and every few years he gets a new one. It's not super expensive but it bugs me because to me, he's just getting rid of something that works perfectly fine. He tells me that I don't understand.

He also has a couple of guitars and although he doesn't play as much as he used to, he talks about other guitars and equipment he wants to buy. He hasn't yet though, but I suppose that could turn into a pretty expensive hobby if he does one day.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know everyone's going to be tired of my answer but good Lord YES! He's an addicted, very competitive tournament fisherman (fresh water, LM & SM bass), who also fishes salt water just for fun, who also has a custom tackle business on the side. If I stayed up 24 hrs. a day and spent, spent, spent? I still couldn't come close to what my husband spends annually on professional grade rods, reels, tackle, membership fees, entry fees, launch fees, side pots, traveling expenses, and materials, part and pieces needed to make custom lures.
And we haven't had our own bass boat out of storage in years. When he's using his own boat to fish tournaments? The expenses rise exponentially.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Yeah it's called a Boat, acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. :lol:

I laugh but seriously the main thing we do on it is spend money.

And now he 'needs' a new jeep to tow it with as well. :rolleyes:

ETA: OMG gemgirl, I can only imagine! We have had our boat for maybe 3 months and the amount he has spent on fishing gear ALONE makes my mind boggle and he has been fishing once (no fish either) Yet he keeps buying fishing gear! :shock:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FI's hobbies over balance any sparklies I can even dream of!

He has his private pilot's licence & his commercial pilot's license and is rated to fly single or twin engine, helicopters, instrument or visual, etc, etc, etc.
We own an airplane (5 seat fully aerobatic) that we are currently restoring. (hugely $$$$$$$$$$$$ sucking hobby!)
Once it is restored, we'll have to fly it. Cost to fly works out to about $50/hour. The ongoing maintenance is the expensive part -- annual inspections (easily a few thousand $$), bi-annual tests to keep current on license (sort of like drivers license renewal but with a driving test), $$$$ parts that HAVE to be overhauled even if you don't fly (several thousand $ or more), etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

He's also gotten really into shooting guns. I enjoy this one too, so that is good but he is really the one driving upgrades and more expensive equipment.

Woodworking. To be fair, it has been about a year since he really did much AND he's planning to make me a spice rack for the kitchen and custom build new cabinets for the kitchen when we eventually do a remodel.
Lots of power tools. Real hardwood can be $$.

Electronics.
Constantly upgrading computers (he buys parts and builds them).
HD projector. Speakers -- this also goes back to woodworking. Wires connecting every room of the house. Big boxes attached to the walls to plug stuff into (not sure what he called these things or even why we needed them).

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Techie stuff and music equipment. Unless there is a reason I'm not aware of one man needs seven keyboards and a new computer every year. :roll:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes. He golfs, and he also is really into his home theater. He's got projector, more speakers than I care to admit (and he frequently likes to try and knock pictures off the walls) and more gadgets and gizmos than I could name. I'd be willing to bet he spends far more than me annually between his two hobbies. I'm quite the cheapskate though.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yes! Cars and watches are his big expensive hobbies

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If golf counts, then yes! Not to mention that it takes him away on a weekend for at least 6 hours so I'm on my own with the kids. At least my jewelry habit doesn't leave him with the kids (not that he'd mind if I did go do something on my own for part of the day...he's so good to me!)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Cars and guns. He is such a guy!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1313157950|2989281 said:
Nope. He likes to play around with computer stuff, but ... it's cheaper because he does it himself, and we're talking about, like, adding RAM, not upgrading to the newest Apple gadget every time it comes around. And he loves to travel and enjoys eating out and all that, but ... we'll we both benefit by that, you know? When I try to buy him pricey things, 99% of the time he rejects them, because he's very particular, and for him, it's less about objective quality and more about being what he's used to as being comfortable.

On the other hand, he wouldn't shop a sale if it bit him in the a$$, whereas I cheap out like it's my job over anything and everything (including the jewels), so I figure the bling is more a balancing incentive.

Nah, I figure he's just a very nice man who doesn't tot things up in a "Me" column vs. a "Him" column - he figures if it makes me happy, it's worth it. But I know what you mean about the occasional guilt ....

This my DH exactly. He occasionally buys himself something for his computer, but for the most part, he spends all of his money on stuff I want or want to do. I'm so rotten I reek, lol. I try to get him something good at Christmas, but he is SO hard to shop for. He's very particular, unless I buy him clothes.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1313165686|2989370 said:
Circe|1313157950|2989281 said:

On the other hand, he wouldn't shop a sale if it bit him in the a$$, whereas I cheap out like it's my job over anything and everything (including the jewels), so I figure the bling is more a balancing incentive.

This my DH exactly. He occasionally buys himself something for his computer, but for the most part, he spends all of his money on stuff I want or want to do. I'm so rotten I reek, lol. I try to get him something good at Christmas, but he is SO hard to shop for. He's very particular, unless I buy him clothes.

Thritto. My husband likes computer stuff, gaming stuff, but tinkers with those himself. He often shops for me (clothes) because I'm cheap and he's got good taste.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Golf

Flying

Sailing

Cars

Harley davidson

Need I say more?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah! He's a musician and we have a mini Guitar Center in our house. I'm not kidding. He also loves fixing up his Jeep to make it off-road worthy.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, cycling. He needs a road bike, a geared mountain bike, a single speed mountain bike, a cyclocross bike, a commuter bike . . . Sometimes I go down in the bike room and there's an extra bike I didn't know about. And they're all $$$. He's spent way more on bikes than I have on diamonds. He does manage to get companies to sponsor him (he races locally) or he buys used bikes and flips the parts to make money for a new purchase, so it's not as expensive a habit as it could be.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, another cyclist husband here. He has 3 bikes right now but he keeps talking about more. Plus all the accessories are absolutely endless, and they wear out and need replacing. But it's his thing, and although I worry about him out there competing with cars, it makes him happy. He's even thought of part ownership in a bicycle shop for retirement, just for "fun".

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, not really. He spends about $200 a year to participate in his fantasy football and baseball leagues.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, *headdesk*. He loves classic cars (has a restored '71 MG Midget) and guns (too many to mention).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my wife is too cheap to have a hobby.she spends < $100 per yr.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1313174518|2989494 said:
my wife is too cheap to have a hobby.she spends < $100 per yr.

How is that possible?! Is that just $100 on non-essentials? Even then, that's not a lot! Lucky you!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Wine...I forgot DH likes to buy expensive wine. I like it too, but if it were my choice I wouldn't pay for it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband golfs but its really not that expensive. Him and his buddies like to walk so they only pay $15 a round if they go
after 2:00. He keeps his clubs for a long time and doesnt feel like he has to have the latest and greatest.

He also cycles. His bike is about 10 years old so he could really use a new one. That would probably be in the $2k range
when he decides to get one. He likes to buy just slightly used items so he doesnt have to pay full retail on something.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1313162715|2989332 said:
Yeah it's called a Boat, acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. :lol:

I laugh but seriously the main thing we do on it is spend money.

And now he 'needs' a new jeep to tow it with as well. :rolleyes:

ETA: OMG gemgirl, I can only imagine! We have had our boat for maybe 3 months and the amount he has spent on fishing gear ALONE makes my mind boggle and he has been fishing once (no fish either) Yet he keeps buying fishing gear! :shock:

In our case, it's at least $10K a year, every year. That's why I never ever feel guilty for buying anything I buy for myself (sparklies).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results