shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your bathroom have a window?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I like a window for the simple fact that you can open it when it''s nice out. Plus, you don''t have to turn the light on every time you enter.

I can''t wait til the weather breaks so I can spring clean and air out the house.

I have a window in the master bath (glad it''s there, because we have no vent/fan). No window in the half bath (but that one''s vented).

Maybe you could put a long skinny (longways) window above the mirror? Is that a possibility?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes. My house was built in 1923, and it has a TON of windows for it''s size! Both bathrooms have nice big windows. They let in a lot of light, and also provide a lot of ventilation if we need it. I can see if it''s a half bath with no shower, but foe a bigger bathroom I think it should definitely have one. However, if it''s really the best design to optimize the space, then do it and think of some other way to keep the bathroom light and bright.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
We recently redid our bathroom as well, and although I wanted to add a window where there was not one before, it ended up not being possible.

Id take the overall value of the home into account and if the people at your homes pricepoint will miss it. Personally, my husband and I are in a very typical "starter home" and it has been thru 4 owners since most people by this home quite young and move on. Therefore, not a whole lot has been done or changed in the home, and I''m not sure a young buyer in our area would be super particular.

However, I love a window in the bathroom. I love windows, period.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The master bath does, yes. The other bathroom does not. I like to have a window in the bathroom to be able to air it out after a steamy shower.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so interesting because I''ve never thought about whether I prefer windows in the bathrooms.

The funny thing is that we bought our house because it''s nearly almost all windows, which we love, YET we don''t have windows in either of our bathrooms. Both of them are in the interior of the house--it''s a ranch, and it''s basically a huge rectangle, open layout, and the bathrooms and closets make the dividing wall between the living area and the sleeping area. If that makes sense.

ANYWAY, while our bathrooms don''t have windows, they do have lovely skylights. Is that an option in for your master bath, Jo? The skylights keep both loos feeling really light and airy despite the fact that they don''t have windows.

I do think that our bathrooms would feel rather dark if they didn''t have the skylights.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We have one bathroom (in the process of a HUGE remodel) and it has a full-sized window. I love the natural light. It faces our backyard and the backyard of the neighbors. In the day it is bright enough that I don''t need to turn on the light and can leave the shade open (the screen and reflection on the windows blocks people seeing in) and we just lower the blind at night.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the bathroom is on an exterior wall? I'm 2 ways about it. First, check to see if what building code is in your state specifically for rooms on outter walls.

I personally like having natural light in the bathroom, but some people can do without. From a resale value perspective though, you may want to consider having at least 1 window in the bathroom.

How about a skylight Or maybe small venting windows near the ceiling or some glass block? (they're decorative, let in light and provide privacy) If you have some creative control it may be worth exploring either of these avenues.

For venting, you can easily add in a fan that will vent the moisture (we have fan and heat, they rock!!)

-A

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it will def a turn off for me.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I don''t own a house (yet, currently house hunting), but windows in bathrooms never even occurred to me. Growing up, both bathrooms in our house had (small) windows. All of my bathrooms since living on my own have not (nearly 10 years). The places we''ve been looking at (mostly) don''t have windows in the bathrooms (we''re shopping for a townhouse, starter place while we finish up graduate school). One of the townhomes we saw had a window in the bathromm and I actually found it to be strange, I just haven''t had them. And honestly, the ones growing up weren''t huge. In the kid''s bathroom (me and my sisters) it was a long, thin window (maybe 3-4 ft long and 6 inches high) along the line of the ceiling inside the shower. You couldn''t even see it when being in the bathroom from the shower curtain, etc. My parent''s bathroom had a window, but nowhere near where the sink/vanity was.

So for me, not a dealbreaker...just depends on your audience. I can see the appeal to all the natural light, but I''m not a big bathroom person. I rarely wear makeup, and FF couldn''t care less about the ''natural light''.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We live in a condo with 2 bathrooms, neither of which has a window. Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much. Sure, it's nice to have, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

ETA: Jo, would you feel comfortable posting a picture? I'm having trouble visualizing the space. I think you mentioned that having more space might trump having a window in the bathroom. I think I feel the same way.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture. The wall that the windows are on is the only outside wall. It''s hard to get the feel of the room, but it''s basically longer and narrow. Kind of remeinds me of large hallway. I''m widening out the main walls as much as possible, but not the walls where the sink currently is. That''s a dormer that can''t be moved out. So there''s going to be a shower/tub in the same spot - but with doors, and obviously walls. So this will make it much more boxed in - espeically if I leave the sink where it is. By moving it to where the windows are, I think would be more open.

upstrs bath 002.JPG

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 12:59:19 AM
Author: FrekeChild

It wouldn''t be a deal breaker for me, but it would be a big negative. It''s kind of sad, but I always get really excited when hotel rooms I stay in have windows. The last one we stayed in had a frosted window to the interior of the hotel room. Could something like that be an option? Something kind of decorative that would steal natural light from another room''s windows?
I could, in theory. But the rooms on the other walls are both bedrooms (not the master). So, even though it might be cool, to me, I think it would be a little weird and voyeuristic to anyone else. Made me chuckle though, thinking about it. Good suggestion, though!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend''s parents house had a gorgeous master bath, with french doors and a tiny little balcony. Completely isolated - no roads, no neighbours, but it''s very disconcerting to step out of the shower and see a deer gawping at you.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer having light - what about high transom type windows above the mirror?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 12:10:50 PM
Author: Haven
This is so interesting because I''ve never thought about whether I prefer windows in the bathrooms.

The funny thing is that we bought our house because it''s nearly almost all windows, which we love, YET we don''t have windows in either of our bathrooms. Both of them are in the interior of the house--it''s a ranch, and it''s basically a huge rectangle, open layout, and the bathrooms and closets make the dividing wall between the living area and the sleeping area. If that makes sense.

ANYWAY, while our bathrooms don''t have windows, they do have lovely skylights. Is that an option in for your master bath, Jo? The skylights keep both loos feeling really light and airy despite the fact that they don''t have windows.

I do think that our bathrooms would feel rather dark if they didn''t have the skylights.
Exactly,Haven!! I''ve never given it a thought, either. It''s just something that''s never made a difference to me. My apt. baths never had windows, and neither did my bathroom in my parents house.
I''m actually surprised at how many people have strong opinions on windows in the bath being a must-have. Very interesting. Like I said - I''m just not a window person. Plus, w/ the schedule that I keep, most of my bathroom time is actually late in the evening when it''s dark out. So in that respect, I actually prefer not having windows.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Mine has a decent sized window where the shower is and that window lets in a lot of light (and air!). Without that window, our bathroom would be a little dark box.

I need sunlight...esp in the winter.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Our whole apartment has tons of windows, but our bathroom does not have any. I really do prefer when a bathroom has a window (I kind of feel a little claustrophobic and like I''m in a box when there are no windows) but I don''t know if it would prevent me from buying a house just because there were no windows in the bathroom.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t even think about it when house-hunting. There were soooo many more important things to worry about for us.

Our master bath has a window and our second bathroom has a very high up frosted window (like Freke was describing) that brings in light from the master bathroom. I honestly cannot recall if our third bathroom has a window or not.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:33:03 PM
Author: Arcadian
If the bathroom is on an exterior wall? I''m 2 ways about it. First, check to see if what building code is in your state specifically for rooms on outter walls.

I personally like having natural light in the bathroom, but some people can do without. From a resale value perspective though, you may want to consider having at least 1 window in the bathroom.

How about a skylight Or maybe small venting windows near the ceiling or some glass block? (they''re decorative, let in light and provide privacy) If you have some creative control it may be worth exploring either of these avenues.

For venting, you can easily add in a fan that will vent the moisture (we have fan and heat, they rock!!)

-A
What type of building codes do you mean?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 8:44:50 AM
Author: Tuckins1
Yes. My house was built in 1923, and it has a TON of windows for it''s size! Both bathrooms have nice big windows. They let in a lot of light, and also provide a lot of ventilation if we need it. I can see if it''s a half bath with no shower, but foe a bigger bathroom I think it should definitely have one. However, if it''s really the best design to optimize the space, then do it and think of some other way to keep the bathroom light and bright.
My house in the states is very old like that and one of the things we love about it is that there is a window on EVERY available wall. Only downside about it imo is there are fewer walls to hang my paintings!

Can you draw a plan of your bathroom before and what you''re considering? It would help me visualize your situation and I might change my mind. Maybe. Is this a master bathroom?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Our bathroom is the only room in the house that doesn''t have a window/insane amount of natural light. Oddly enough, it did have a window, but it was closed off when the house was flipped and they put in a new bath/shower.

In my particular bathroom, I''m glad there''s no window - it''s a small bathroom, and the window would be placed in the shower, which while there are solutions, it''s a bit of a pain.

But if I had a different layout, sure, a window in the bathroom would be nice. But it''s not a deal-breaker either way.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 7:07:57 PM
Author: joflier

Date: 2/15/2010 2:33:03 PM
Author: Arcadian
If the bathroom is on an exterior wall? I''m 2 ways about it. First, check to see if what building code is in your state specifically for rooms on outter walls.

How about a skylight Or maybe small venting windows near the ceiling or some glass block? (they''re decorative, let in light and provide privacy) If you have some creative control it may be worth exploring either of these avenues.

-A
What type of building codes do you mean?
Whatever the codes in your state/city/town has for remodel and building are the building codes that have to be adhered to, and when a blue print is submitted to them, they either stamp it as ok, or tell you what isn''t quite right and to go back and have it fixed.

Code books are huge, especially the ones for kitchens and bathrooms. Its not something most laypeople will ever see (and you wouldn''t want to, trust me)

Whomever you''re working with should be licensed in the state, and should know at least the base codes there.

They should also make you aware of the the process to submit the blueprints to get final approvals and the proper building permits before work begins.

If they haven''t said anything, I''d ask. It never hurts. If they shrug it off, get another company.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 2:13:26 AM
Author: yssie
A friend''s parents house had a gorgeous master bath, with french doors and a tiny little balcony. Completely isolated - no roads, no neighbours, but it''s very disconcerting to step out of the shower and see a deer gawping at you.
I have the same problem. Luckily, our bathroom is on the second floor and we do not see deers but we see a corner of neighbor''s patio. We have shades but it almost defeats the purpose.

My friend has a small house with no-window bathroom. SHe put recessed lights on the ceiling and it helped a lot. I don''t think no-window bathroom would be an issue for me.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought of moving the shower/tub''s location to the window wall? You have a plumbing wall already and it is a more natural location for a shower. You could make the windows smaller and move the sink to where the tub is located now. I can''t tell if you would have the clearance for a tub though but I think it would be okay to have just a shower there if you had another one in another bathroom.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 5:26:24 PM
Author: heraanderson
Have you thought of moving the shower/tub''s location to the window wall? You have a plumbing wall already and it is a more natural location for a shower. You could make the windows smaller and move the sink to where the tub is located now. I can''t tell if you would have the clearance for a tub though but I think it would be okay to have just a shower there if you had another one in another bathroom.

Thanks for posting a pic, Jo! Having seen the space now, I''d recommend the same thing that Hera did.

If that''s not possible or if it''s not what you want, I''d probably take out the window and open the space up. That''s just me though.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 5:32:51 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

Thanks for posting a pic, Jo! Having seen the space now, I''d recommend the same thing that Hera did.

If that''s not possible or if it''s not what you want, I''d probably take out the window and open the space up. That''s just me though.
Yup - I thought the exact same thing. But that section is only 4 ft so I tub wouldn''t work. And there''s no way to expand those walls. At least not without major demolition to the outside of the house. And it''s just not worth sticking that kind of money into it.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 5:45:48 PM
Author: joflier
Date: 2/17/2010 5:32:51 PM

Author: ZoeBartlett

Yup - I thought the exact same thing. But that section is only 4 ft so I tub wouldn''t work. And there''s no way to expand those walls. At least not without major demolition to the outside of the house. And it''s just not worth sticking that kind of money into it.
Will you be expanding the wall across from the sink?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 6:16:30 PM

Will you be expanding the wall across from the sink?
No, I can''t - the sink wall, and across from it are outside walls of a large dormer. The only walls I''m able to expand out are the ones that the tub and toilet are against.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Thoughts:
I would not eliminate a window because it already feels too closed in.
I was going to suggest swapping the sink and toilet but I don't think that would solve the problem.
I think once you extend the wall of the tub, it's going to feel much better!
Definitely put a clear glass shower door on the shower.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results