shape
carat
color
clarity

Does yellow/warm lighting affect diamonds of all color grades?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 2 carat ACA in I color. In the sun it looks stark white and the same in many other lighting conditions. In Target and the mall today with more yellow lighting and beige floors it looked warmer to me. Is this because it’s an I or would it happen even if it was a higher color (H and above)? I guess I’m wondering if it was a higher color would it always look white no matter what, or does lighting affect diamonds of all colors?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if I’m any help but my diamond is an I too. Weird thing is that I recently upgraded my diamond and was weary of going down to I color (my diamond before was H) so I was expecting to see more warmth in the stone. You know what? This new I stone is much whiter than my previous one. Both are GIA graded. Both were triple excellent and no fluorescence. I think it’s the difference in clarity and the cut proportions. I don’t see any warmth in “store lighting” but very rarely, I see a little warmth which I like. I don’t like icy diamonds. Weird. Not sure I’ve been helpful.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it picking up environmental color and reflecting that, perhaps? I know my ideal cut MRB will reflect back whatever it ‘sees’ (is facing it). So if I’m wearing a blue shirt, it will show some blue when the diamond’s table is facing the direction of my shirt.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Is it picking up environmental color and reflecting that, perhaps? I know my ideal cut MRB will reflect back whatever it ‘sees’ (is facing it). So if I’m wearing a blue shirt, it will show some blue when the diamond’s table is facing the direction of my shirt.

What color is your diamond?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if I’m any help but my diamond is an I too. Weird thing is that I recently upgraded my diamond and was weary of going down to I color (my diamond before was H) so I was expecting to see more warmth in the stone. You know what? This new I stone is much whiter than my previous one. Both are GIA graded. Both were triple excellent and no fluorescence. I think it’s the difference in clarity and the cut proportions. I don’t see any warmth in “store lighting” but very rarely, I see a little warmth which I like. I don’t like icy diamonds. Weird. Not sure I’ve been helpful.

Everything is helpful! I also just went from an H to an I but my H was set in a three stone whereas my I is in a six prong solitaire so I can see it more from the side. Both super ideal.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color is your diamond?

The MRB is a K color; OEC is an M. Both pick up environmental colors quite a bit. I read on here recently to think of a diamond’s table as a mirror. It will reflect back what it sees.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
3D275BB4-BA70-4D1B-984D-9DEA625F8834.jpeg
Everything is helpful! I also just went from an H to an I but my H was set in a three stone whereas my I is in a six prong solitaire so I can see it more from the side. Both super ideal.

I wonder if that’s why. Mine has a “hidden halo” so I don’t see the side of the stone too much.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Happens with any diamond. d color i color j color k color even a fancy vivid yellow.
Someone once said:
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I’m curious what people with stones higher in color than I have to say...

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Happens with any diamond. d color i color j color k color even a fancy vivid yellow.
Someone once said:
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting

Thank you for chiming in! This is great to hear. Didn’t see your comment before I said I’m curious what people with diamonds higher than I had to say. :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lets look at this for a second.
Other than some reaction to UV light in some diamonds, diamonds have no source of generating light so all the light they send to your eyes has to come from around the diamond.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lets look at this for a second.
Other than some reaction to UV light in some diamonds, diamonds have no source of generating light so all the light they send to your eyes has to come from around the diamond.
@Karl_K: does this “reflection of surrounding” effect more prominent in cuts with large facets? Sorta make sense to me if it is the case. Mirror vs. smashed mirror... lol.... Thanks.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
While I have no doubt that actual yellow light will reflect yellow in any diamond. I have a D and it has never looked tinted in the mall, or in any of the stores. *shrug*. Maybe I have to go into more stores, lol.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
While I have no doubt that actual yellow light will reflect yellow in any diamond. I have a D and it has never looked tinted in the mall, or in any of the stores. *shrug*. Maybe I have to go into more stores, lol.

So no matter what your diamond always looks totally white?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
So no matter what your diamond always looks totally white?

Nope - it does reflect the colours around it, just haven’t noticed tint in mall lighting.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Nope - it does reflect the colours around it, just haven’t noticed tint in mall lighting.

Got it. I think it might be hard for me to describe what I saw. It’s not that it looked yellow, just warmer than an icy white. Maybe it was just reflecting colors around me?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Got it. I think it might be hard for me to describe what I saw. It’s not that it looked yellow, just warmer than an icy white. Maybe it was just reflecting colors around me?

I would think so ... I mean, while I say that I haven’t seen tint in my diamond in the mall, it really doesn’t mean anything unless I know I’m in the exact same lighting as you are ... oh and yes, I refer to a slight buttery color when talking about diamond color - it is definitely not “yellow.”

There is no doubt that it is lighting lighting lighting ... there is also a noticeable (to me) tint in an I color (do not mean it looks yellow). I don’t think you can expect to never ever see the tint in an I, but I realize that might not be what you’re seeing either.

If you’re in a tinted room and you see the same tint in your diamond that you usually don’t see, I think it’s safe to say it’s the lighting.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a three stone ring with a 2.53 center stone and side stones of .33 each which are all G color. When I am in wonky lighting and see the beige, yucky color you are referring in to in certain environments, I see it in the center stone as well as the side stones. Because I am looking at three stones at the same time, I am assured it is the lighting environment and not the diamonds.

As Karl says, diamonds don't have their own lighting so can only reflect back the environmental lighting they are in. While we all wish our diamonds would look white in all places, it is simply not possible as the stones truly act as mirrors.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
702D82E5-DCF6-48EB-8E49-173D8A283AAD.jpeg 30A34AE4-2173-48CD-B0BD-8B44B086939F.jpeg 110CADE3-A4AE-492C-9BBC-BFD37D8277C9.jpeg

I agree with all the comments about lighting. Here’s my ring in three different lighting conditions.
1) outdoor overcast lighting with my navy coat in the car
2) in store retail lighting
3) my home lighting in the dining room

Again my diamond color is I and it really is lighting, lighting, lighting.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds logical. But why the old cuts with larger chunkier facets often face up whiter than MRBs of the same color grade?
Partly simpler light paths and partly they dont.
Remember you only see body color when light return is low and large virtual facets are better at returning light in low light conditions.

Last edited:

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I would think so ... I mean, while I say that I haven’t seen tint in my diamond in the mall, it really doesn’t mean anything unless I know I’m in the exact same lighting as you are ... oh and yes, I refer to a slight buttery color when talking about diamond color - it is definitely not “yellow.”

There is no doubt that it is lighting lighting lighting ... there is also a noticeable (to me) tint in an I color (do not mean it looks yellow). I don’t think you can expect to never ever see the tint in an I, but I realize that might not be what you’re seeing either.

If you’re in a tinted room and you see the same tint in your diamond that you usually don’t see, I think it’s safe to say it’s the lighting.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful!

It’s definitely helpful! I appreciate your thorough response. :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl is correct, environmental lighting and what you wear plays a huge part in what you see.

In overcast lighting outside, my 2.79 F-VS1, 2.21 F-SI1, .53 F-VS1, .53 F-VS2 all CBIs are very white.

When I compare my 3.01 F-SI1 pear (GIA graded), the CBIs face up whiter, but the body colors are all similar from the side.

When I stand under incandescent lighting, they all look yucky. 5500 degree Kelvin is very nice and white.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Karl is correct, environmental lighting and what you wear plays a huge part in what you see.

In overcast lighting outside, my 2.79 F-VS1, 2.21 F-SI1, .53 F-VS1, .53 F-VS2 all CBIs are very white.

When I compare my 3.01 F-SI1 pear (GIA graded), the CBIs face up whiter, but the body colors are all similar from the side.

When I stand under incandescent lighting, they all look yucky. 5500 degree Kelvin is very nice and white.

Thank you for chiming in! I will pay more attention next time to whether it’s the lighting or the environment. I wish I could go to the same store with an F and my I!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for chiming in! This is great to hear. Didn’t see your comment before I said I’m curious what people with diamonds higher than I had to say. :)

Two F color diamonds, 3.01 F-SI1 Pear, 1.50 F-VS1 Marquise (don't wear this ring anymore).
In one photo Pink, the other Violet, :mrgreen2:

small_P7210734.JPG

P7180700.JPG

Photos DO lie,
Outdoors, Marquise has SBF, Pear has Medium

small_P7210726a.jpg

Same rings, yucky colors

P7210724.JPG

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Two F color diamonds, 3.01 F-SI1 Pear, 1.50 F-VS1 Marquise (don't wear this ring anymore).
In one photo Pink, the other Violet, :mrgreen2:

small_P7210734.JPG

P7180700.JPG

Photos DO lie,
Outdoors, Marquise has SBF, Pear has Medium

small_P7210726a.jpg

Same rings, yucky colors

P7210724.JPG

Awesome photos and comparisons - thank you! And in none of them do your diamonds look yucky!! Very pretty how they picked up the pink and violet.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kal2021

Color also shows in the CBI glamour shots, all of the same 2.79 F-VS1 diamond with different backgrounds

Img2658.jpg

Img2651 1.jpg

Img2659.jpg

JPO_2663-1920.jpg

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Just go to Home Depot and Costco, all of our diamonds will look fabulous. :mrgreen2:

So funny I noticed the same thing at Home Depot recently!! Why is that?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results