shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Tiffany''s Silver Contain Nickel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lingpanda01

Rough_Rock
Currently, my gf is wearing a sterling silver ring from Tiffany's. On their website, it says "Tiffany silver
is guaranteed to be 92.5% pure silver." And I heard silver sometimes contains nickel. I *really* hope Tiffany's silver has nickel, but I can't find anything that says that. The reason is because I am having a white gold e-ring made and am starting to FREAK out on whether or not she is allergic... But if Tiffany's silver contains nickel, then I know I'm safe since she has no allergic reaction to it.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear Lingpanda!

The usual alloy for sterling silver contains 7.5 % copper for hardness. Some nickel may be present, but probably only in trace amounts.

Can you give your GF a white gold bracelet or cute fashion ring, to see if she reacts to it?

If you''re worrying because of an earring reaction, keep in mind that fingers can be less sensative than ears because of the thicker skin.
(that said if her reaction to white gold involves a rash, hives or anything more serious, clearly do not give her white gold)
I am not a dotor, this is not medical advice.

Is your jeweler willing to let you trade the value of the setting towards a platinum upgrade if she has an allergic reaction? If so get it in writing.

Good luck!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine developed an allergic reaction to nickel after wearing a white gold ring for about 20 years. So even if your girlfriend is not allergic now, she might develop an allergy later on.

Many people wear white gold their whole lives with no bad consequences. But for a ring that you expect her to wear all the time for many decades, white gold is not the safest choice.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
If it takes 20 years of exposure to finally develop an allergy, I'd say it was a fairly safe substance to be around, lol. There are lots of things you can become sensitized to in a matter of days, or hours. (Sorry for the thread hijack. It just struck me as funny.)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 2:19:13 PM
Author: HVVS
If it takes 20 years of exposure to finally develop an allergy, I''d say it was a fairly safe substance to be around, lol. There are lots of things you can become sensitized to in a matter of days, or hours. (Sorry for the thread hijack. It just struck me as funny.)

Agreed. I''d be shocked if I still have the same wedding band in 20 years, and if I do, and it gives me a rash, I''ll just upgrade to platinum :)

ChicRaccoon

Rough_Rock
I am allergic to nickel. So when I had a white gold ring made for me earlier this year I simply requested a white gold alloy that did not contain nickel. It every so slightly increased the price. It''s a white gold palladium alloy that is naturally white. If you don''t care for the color ''white'' it has (I like its color ''white'', but some people can be rather particular), it can be rhodium plated just like any other white gold.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
some develop allergic reaction to it much faster than others, some never.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results