shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Tiffany use SI1 diamonds? If so in which products?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know?

Thanks.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Considering they grade them on-site, and not all of their stones are from an actual independent reputable lab, they probably do and just call them whatever they want.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TIffany & Co grade their own diamonds because they feel they can do a job equal to or better than the GIA. I believe this is likely true although there is no way to prove it to anyone. GIA has the utmost credibility although Tiffany definitely has the expertise necessary to grade the limited range of diamonds they cut, buy and use. They do not carry a broad, diverse range of color and clarity such as the GIA grades, and within their own world of diamonds, Tiffany is a leading authority. I do believe they now carry SI1 diamonds in some items including solitaires.

When Tiffany used the GIA, they were not happy with the job GIA was doing a good bit of the time. Tiffany is a very conservative seller and wanted correct grades and did not want any soft grades, or what the trade calls "lucky grades". They don't want to have any consumer problems and want conservative grading. While this is unusual in the diamond business, it is Tiffany's own approach and certainly is a fair one. Some time back they decided they could be happier with their own grading and also save a lot of what seemed to be needless grading document costs. I believe this strategy has not hurt them. Furthermore, it shows that a company with sufficient credibility can pull off a trick that few others could even consider trying.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have also noticed that in yellow diamonds, they're carrying a wider range.
Great explanation Dave- I don't know if you know the answer to this- but doesn't Tiffany still use GIA on some larger stones?

ked123

Rough_Rock
When we purchased my solitaire 5 years ago, VS2 was the lowest they went in solitaires. I don't know if that is the case now. When I was looking at DBTY pendants, they did have some SI1 in inventory- but none in the store.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
When I was looking a year ago for a friend, they did not carry SI stones for their engagement rings.

My experience has shown that T&CO grades tougher than GIA but I have no proof.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I read some time last year that they started selling SI1 diamonds. It was actually a controversial topic on PS because some people thought Tiffany was losing its reputation as a high-end jeweler by selling diamonds of lower clarity.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1319774371|3049158 said:
When I was looking a year ago for a friend, they did not carry SI stones for their engagement rings.

Mine was actually the opposite. But my experiences with them biased me against them forever. They were dishonest and unprofessional as all hell with us.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1319805819|3049261 said:
CharmyPoo|1319774371|3049158 said:

Mine was actually the opposite. But my experiences with them biased me against them forever. They were dishonest and unprofessional as all hell with us.

It's Friday! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep! I saved it for today on purpose!!! :naughty:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1319780105|3049194 said:
I read some time last year that they started selling SI1 diamonds. It was actually a controversial topic on PS because some people thought Tiffany was losing its reputation as a high-end jeweler by selling diamonds of lower clarity.

I read this too last year. I also think that last year they were using down to I color but now they go down to J?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Last year, they had SI diamonds but just not for their e-rings. They have it for other rings. No idea if this is still the case.

T&CO has always treated me really well. I found their service to be excellent.

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
I went Tiffany's to look for my 4 carat RB. They have SI1's. But the SA told me that when they get the SI1's in the morning, they are gone in a couple hours because everyone wants SI1!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any trouble with Tiffany selling SI1 ENGAGEMENT RINGS if the buyer knows what they're getting but if I go to their site and look under "diamond jewelry" any of those stones might be SI1. NOT what I expect from a company that bills itself as the world's best jewelry house with the prices to match past glories.

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
When my FI and I went to Tiffany's Dec last year for our solitaire, they told us they lowest is J VS2. And We had a wonderful time with out consultant who brought in many many diamonds before we chose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results