shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this Yellow Diamond sound like a good choice? GIA

WallyWatkins

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys!

I was hoping the much more knowledgeable people on this forum could tell me how this yellow diamond sounds based on the GIA report? I love the color, it's a beautiful lemony yellow color!

Shape and Cutting Style: Cut-Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 6.54 x 5.98 x 3.82 mm

Carat Weight: 1.37

Color
Origin: Natural
Grade: Fancy Yellow
Distribution: Even
Clarity Grade: VS2

Finish
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments:
Additional clouds are not shown
Surface graining is not shown

I was unsure about the fluorescence and additional comments about the clarity of the diamond. Does this sound ok? Thanks so much for all of your help!!! :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds good, but with that blue fluorescence I'd find out how the color looks in light that has a ultraviolet component, like sunlight.

Sometimes fluorescence can make a colored diamond look less attractive.

I personally would not be concerned about those comments.

WallyWatkins

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much kenny for your response!! Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town with no computer. The price of this ring with 2 trilliant F VS2 side stones with a tcw of 0.39 is 8, 995. Does that sound reasonable to you? Thanks again!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices of FCDs are hard to compare.
Supply is very limited compared to white diamonds.

Prices can be affected by things not recorded on lab reports . . . apparently GIA color grades are VERY wide.
If you compared all the yellow diamonds that GIA graded Fancy Yellow they would NOT all look identical.
I bought GIA's color chart and it's hard to believe how not-yellow many of their pure yellow look.
I realize it's subject to ink and printing variations but, still, the wide RANGE of GIA's "pure" yellow color is amazing.
There is a wide range of looks that can get the same grade and some are more desirable/costly than others.
I would guess the yellows that look cleaner are more expensive than others which look less clean and fresh.

I recently bought a Fancy Vivid Blue which I was told was on the very very low end of GIA's scale..
It looks like it is only a Fancy Intense and looks like it has some gray in it to my eyes.
Of course it was priced on the low end for FVBs because of being on the borderline.

In summary, it is not so simple to compare prices in FCDs.

To compare prices I'd to to www.fancydiamonds.net
Liebish & Co has 239 yellow diamonds.
I have bought 15 FCDs from them and even returned or exchanged 5 with no hassles, so I love this vendor.

Use the advanced search feature in the upper right corner.

WallyWatkins

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Kenny, you've been so amazingly helpful! Last question, I promise...if the stone is a VS2, but has a feather that is drawn in the GIA report on the table I believe (it's shown on the middle left side of the center unfaceted drawing of the stone at the bottom of the GIA report), do you think that it would be ok in terms of durability? I thought it would be since the diamond is a VS2, but wasn't sure if that was incorrect. Thank you so so so much again!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WallyWatkins|1303693119|2904278 said:
Thanks again Kenny, you've been so amazingly helpful! Last question, I promise...if the stone is a VS2, but has a feather that is drawn in the GIA report on the table I believe (it's shown on the middle left side of the center unfaceted drawing of the stone at the bottom of the GIA report), do you think that it would be ok in terms of durability? I thought it would be since the diamond is a VS2, but wasn't sure if that was incorrect. Thank you so so so much again!!

I was waiting for someone else to answer . . . oh well.

Again no black and white answer, IMHO.
Many people feel a GIA VS2 is mechanically very sound.
Others will tell you that feathers vary so take it to a reputable independent professional appraiser who does not sell diamonds to get an opinion.
Keep in mind that even a flawless diamond can fracture if it is hit just right.
This means your appraiser may tell you "there is no issue" then you later look down and see a chuck fell out of the diamond where the feather was.

Personally I don't like feathers.
I'm in the minority here.
If I had a choice between otherwise identical diamonds I'd chose the one without the feather.
Feather is the diamond industry's unalarming word for crack or fracture.
That said I have bought a few with cracks because they are just a fact of life, and if you are picky about other qualities (I am) you may be stuck picking one with a feather or be left with no diamond with those other qualities.
I buy fancy colored diamonds of rare colors for which the supply is very limited.

Does a crack (feather) make a diamond weaker or more likely to fail?
Can a crack spread?
Good questions.
I will say this, a feather does nothing to make the diamond stronger, and I'd rather have other inclusions like naturals, needles, pinpoints, graining, extra facets, and even clouds or black carbon spots.

There is a whole thread here on PS in which the professionals discuss feathers.
There is the question of whether the crack "reaches the surface", or has "healed".
Hmm.
It is something to look into, get educated and make up your own mind.
Keep in mind whatever they say the industry has to sell them and that may influence what they say or how they phrase it.
Whatever anyone says, make up your own mind.

There is no such thing as absolutely safe.
There is more safe and less safe.
IMHO, a diamond without cracks is safer than one with cracks, but again even a flawless diamond is not absolutely safe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results