color
clarity

Does this wedding band look too tight?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it look right?
It looks so - imo - in your static pic.
But what’s more important is how it feels to you. In different seasons, and if your water weight fluctuates with what you eat/drink.

If it were my hand/ring
And wanted to keep the width of the band
I’d explore a heavier (more extreme) comfort fit curve on the inside of the band to see if that didn’t take away the smooshed appearance, but still felt secure. Don’t know (but think so) sizing might also be tweaked with that added comfort fit weight.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Does it look right?
But what’s more important is how it feels to you. In different seasons, and if your water weight fluctuates with what you eat/drink.

If it were my hand/ring
I’d explore a heavier (more extreme) comfort fit curve on the inside of the band to see if that didn’t take away the smooshed appearance, but still felt secure. Don’t know (but think so) sizing might also be tweaked with that added comfort fit weight.

It feels a bit tight but could be because I’m not used to wearing a ring. This replaces my prior ring which was 8.5” but made of tungsten.

At any rate I believe it’s non-returnable at this point.

How did the video look?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Does it look right?

If it were my hand/ring

Just to confirm you’re saying it looks TIGHT or RIGHT?

Also, for reference, this is a Stuller Euro Comfort Fit.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks a little tight but as someone who has a meatier finger myself, what matters is how it feels to you and if it’s comfortable to wear. I would recommend not sleeping with it on because fingers sometimes swell overnight and you might have a hard time getting it off.

11/2/23

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typo. Yes.
I think it looks a bit tight to what I would want to see on my hand, at that width of band.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
I’m very surprised I’m essentially going from an 8.5” in tungsten that fit perfectly to potentially a 9” in 14k.

Is that typical?

I’m sure I can’t return it anyway…

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show a pic of your tungsten?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Way too tight IMO. Gives me claustrophobia just looking at it. If it's 14K gold it can easily be resized by stretching, without needing to cut and solder or lose any metal. It costs the equivalent of around 30 USD where I am.

I find rings fit very differently depending on their width and shape, so not surprising that there is a difference depending if they are even slightly different styles.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Way too tight IMO. Gives me claustrophobia just looking at it. If it's 14K gold it can easily be resized by stretching, without needing to cut and solder or lose any metal. It costs the equivalent of around 30 USD where I am.

I find rings fit very differently depending on their width and shape, so not surprising that there is a difference depending if they are even slightly different styles.

Would that resizing affect the integrity of the metal? I think the jeweler is willing to do that for me.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuller offers light and standard comfort fit in European profile.
They also offer light, standard, and heavy comfort fit in their Half round profile.

In a band that wide as yours is - I wouldn’t be suprised if the sizing might be different choice if one had meaty fingers (mee toooo @YadaYadaYada ) between the different levels of comfort fit.

If it’s nonreturnable - yes go see about getting it stretched like suggested.
But I’d go find somewhere to go try on a bunch of examples before committing to something that can’t be undone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost it lol

Are they both the same exact mm in width? Or was your tungsten more narrow?

And it is a thing that different mfg mandrels (and ring mfg) may come out to different sizes.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks tight to me. If it's nearing winter now where you are, I would expect it to feel even tighter next summer.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Stuller offers light and standard comfort fit in European profile.
They also offer light, standard, and heavy comfort fit in their Half round profile.

In a band that wide as yours is - I wouldn’t be suprised if the sizing might be different choice if one had meaty fingers (mee toooo @YadaYadaYada ) between the different levels of comfort fit.

If it’s nonreturnable - yes go see about getting it stretched like suggested.
But I’d go find somewhere to go try on a bunch of examples before committing to something that can’t be undone.

Thanks yes this was regular weight euro.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Are they both the same exact mm in width? Or was your tungsten more narrow?

And it is a thing that different mfg mandrels (and ring mfg) may come out to different sizes.

Sorry it was titanium from Bruce Boone. 8.5”x5 in flat profile

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Would that resizing affect the integrity of the metal? I think the jeweler is willing to do that for me.

No, not for a plain band and for such a small size adjustment. My local jewellers have a machine that just compresses or stretches the metal just slightly. It's fine. I can't tell you how many times I've had my plain band resized - no issues at all.

Bands with stones are another matter.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Is there a special technique or name for resizing that doesn’t require adding or removing the material?

Just called my local jeweler and they “couldn’t give me a price because they didn’t know how much gold they’d have to add”.

Thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a special technique or name for resizing that doesn’t require adding or removing the material?

Just called my local jeweler and they “couldn’t give me a price because they didn’t know how much gold they’d have to add”.

Thanks!

I believe it's called ring stretching or reducing.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure I can’t return it anyway…

Is that because it's past a return period, or it was a special order? If a special order, did the jeweler size your finger with something about the same width as the ring you were ordering? Most sizing rings are more narrow and with a wider band, you'd need to size up. I see that you got it in a size about .25 larger than your prior ring, but maybe you did need to go to a 9. I wear a 5.5 - 5.75 but for wider bands can easily wear a 6 or 6.25. And as mentioned above, your prior ring was flat, and this one is curved. That probably affects it as well.

As for your jeweler telling you that they "don't know how much gold to add", what is being suggested is stretching, so no gold should be needed. Maybe find a jeweler who understands about stretching it a bit.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Local jeweler wants $137 to stretch. Seems very high. Essentially 20% the cost of the ring lol.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

No, not for a plain band and for such a small size adjustment. My local jewellers have a machine that just compresses or stretches the metal just slightly. It's fine. I can't tell you how many times I've had my plain band resized - no issues at all.

Bands with stones are another matter.

$137!!!!!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did they size your finger in person to know what to enlargen it to?
Local jeweler wants $137 to stretch. Seems very high. Essentially 20% the cost of the ring lol.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what to say to be honest. The place I bought my wedding ring from does it for £20 (25 USD). In fact they just did it again 2 weeks ago. There are several jewellers in my city who will happily do it for £30-£35. Online places are similar. This is the going rate in the UK and I can't believe the US is that different.

Maybe other US based PSers can offer specific suggestions.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It does look tight. Can you shop around for another estimate? I recently had a gold ring sized and I found the prices varied up to $40.

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it looks too tight and that means uncomfortable. I would look at other sources for stretching the band a bit - $137 sounds high to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results