shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this setting bury my diamond?

Would a mrb look odd in this setting?

• A. Yes. It’s best for old cuts.

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • B. No. It’s a classic and timeless style.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • C. No for other reasons.

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this setting off eBay and plan to have my jeweler assess it for structural issues as it is very worn, but am on the fence about it because I wonder if the Heavy prongs will obscure the diamond? Also, does this setting look too antique and like an ill fit for a modern? I love the charm and the basket, but I don’t know if it will do my 2.9 E mrb justice. It is soldered to the band which will be removed and this is not my stone 5B4E65C6-19DE-4638-89D1-06F2AE55E7D8.jpeg 469C0F71-29A4-4F92-AAC3-DA8F5A11CA96.jpeg 967925CC-EFF9-47E5-899D-95E781B78614.jpeg 41EA8A86-E467-41DA-AF0B-7BE5EAAC8A1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it @nala but I enjoy wider rings more than most. I don’t think your diamond will be swallowed up at all! I hope it structurally sound enough for you to use.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind a MRB in a vintage/antique setting. In fact I find it interesting. I think it's a very pretty setting; love the basket. It does make the stone appear square to me though.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love fishtail prongs and those are amazing. I really want to love this but I think the proportion of the prongs are too big and take away from the diamond. It doesn't bother me that it's a MRB though and I think the overall size is lovely and the basket is perfect.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it @nala but I enjoy wider rings more than most. I don’t think your diamond will be swallowed up at all! I hope it structurally sound enough for you to use.

Thanks! I find myself leaning toward a wider band bc tho skinny bands showcase the stone, I can’t put my finger on why I feel that they leave me wanting for more. Pun intended. Lol

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind a MRB in a vintage/antique setting. In fact I find it interesting. I think it's a very pretty setting; love the basket. It does make the stone appear square to me though.

You know, I think that bc I lust after the look of stones that are elongated like an emerald or radiant—i love how those look on the fingers of all the ig models—i think that subconsciously I want my stone to look elongated but with the bling of a round. So I think that I’m ok with the square part, as I realize that is as elongated and rectangular as it will get. KWIM?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love fishtail prongs and those are amazing. I really want to love this but I think the proportion of the prongs are too big and take away from the diamond. It doesn't bother me that it's a MRB though and I think the overall size is lovely and the basket is perfect.

Yes! That is my fear! I don’t even know how these prongs are supposed to work or how they are supposed to look—I’m thinking they are deteriorated?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the setting is lovely, and a MRB would be an interesting and pretty combination.

It’s a very pretty setting but somehow I don’t like the proportions of prongs to stone. Or maybe it’s that I don’t like the proportions for an MRB? Not that MRBs can’t look good in antique settings - just somehow not here.

But that’s just my opinion though! You should go with what you love :D

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a very pretty setting but somehow I don’t like the proportions of prongs to stone. Or maybe it’s that I don’t like the proportions for an MRB? Not that MRBs can’t look good in antique settings - just somehow not here.

But that’s just my opinion though! You should go with what you love :D

I totally get it. The prongs are throwing me off! How are they supposed to even look?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the look of a MRB in this setting on your hand, then great!

Its personal preference.

Some people want the stone and setting to reflect the same 'era', others don't care if that's the case; no right or wrong, its personal taste and preference.

Regarding the prongs, others with more knowledge can comment. However, the more square appearance given by this style of prong is a matter of taste, and you're fine with it, so that's wonderful!

Structural issues are important, but you're getting that checked out.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the setting does take away from the center stone IMHO. I preferred this one which seems to enhance the center stone without competing with it.

AD4A3AE1-655A-4A95-A4AE-1A5D9BA37CA1.jpeg

So I went back to visit that one and I didn’t care for the basket! It sat squat and was very basic! That’s why I passed on it.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about custom with DK or your jeweler so you get exactly what you want? Do you love the setting you posted? Seems like you have reservations. I like a lot about it but just don’t LOVE it.

I’m afraid of custom! Lol. I went to the LA jewelery mart for 3 days straight and didn’t find one setting that I loved! And believe me, lots of choices! The thing is, I love antique settings but I also know that In my opinion, they don’t seem to compliment moderns stones. That said, I think this setting is more of a classic and traditional setting so maybe i could get away with it? My reservations stem from the prongs but I’m gonna drop by my jeweler to get his take.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think it is really pretty and would look beautiful with your MRB.

L

lydial

I think the prongs are a bit chunky from the side. Otherwise it is unique. I think it looks reproduction though, not antique. Not sure why.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the prongs are a bit chunky from the side. Otherwise it is unique. I think it looks reproduction though, not antique. Not sure why.

It’s definitely an antique! It has the scars to prove it!

H

Horsegirl76

“I don’t know if it will do my 2.9 E mrb justice.”

I think this answers your question. If it isn’t exactly right, I would keep looking. You have a beautiful new diamond, and you should set it in something that is perfect in your eyes. I personally loved your new stone in the setting @mwilliamanderson showed. I can’t wait to see how you decide to set it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a pretty setting but I just don’t think it showcases your diamond well. The prongs are large and take away from the shape of your diamond. However, if you like it then that is all that really matters! I could go with a wider setting if you want the heft of it but with much smaller, refined prongs.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I actually quite like the larger/chunkier prongs. But I would go with tapered baguettes on the side.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@nala I love the wider setting...I just think the prongs are too heavy looking for your beautiful diamond...I think they steal some of the attention. Is it possible to keep the setting but rework the prongs?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I love the wider setting...I just think the prongs are too heavy looking for your beautiful diamond...I think they steal some of the attention. Is it possible to keep the setting but rework the prongs?

I am working on this! I don’t know what they should look like bc they are so worn out! I texted my jeweler and he said he thinks they are 3 claws like this E6DD7892-2DBB-4DE3-A521-1E5AA47E7409.png

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am working on this! I don’t know what they should look like bc they are so worn out! I texted my jeweler and he said he thinks they are 3 claws like this E6DD7892-2DBB-4DE3-A521-1E5AA47E7409.png

That makes sense because I just did a quick search for antique/vintage settings. The three claw prong came up a lot. Tab prongs also came up..
C35D1186-761A-467C-817E-F6B6BBA716B4.jpeg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes sense because I just did a quick search for antique/vintage settings. The three claw prong came up a lot. Tab prongs also came up..
C35D1186-761A-467C-817E-F6B6BBA716B4.jpeg

He did say that with a diamond that size, he thinks it’s a 3 prong which is promising bc I do like 3 prong!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
He did say that with a diamond that size, he thinks it’s a 3 prong which is promising bc I do like 3 prong!

Great! I think it would look lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results