shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this seem overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
$10,000+ for a 1.5 carat blue ceylon sapphire, no AGTA? Would post a picture but have one...it was pretty nice but had what looked like an "air bubble" in it--is this normal? is it an inclusion?

I guess this is another price gap question--why are prices at the sapphire websites so much lower than what I have seen in B&M stores? Is it best to just get a sapphire online and get it appraised? The price differential is really astounding.

My FF and I are looking for something in the 7.5 to 8.5 by 6.5 to 7.5 cushion or oval as a solitaire for an engagement ring--price range is 8,000 to 12,000 with just a very plain platinum setting (no diamonds or accent stones). Is this doable with a decent quality sapphire (unheated okay.)? I guess this would put me in the high 2 carat range to the 3 carat range and the 1.5 carat sapphire just looks to small...

Thansk for any explanations re who to trust and this huge price gap...

terracentric

Rough_Rock
I''m finding the same price gap for rubies. Check out www.goldberry.com for sapphires. They''re in San Francisco.

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Tessari,

$10,000/ct is definetly way over prized. Even I''m looking for good quality rich blue sapphire. Check out with other members of this forum who have brought sapphire online.
Here are couple recommended online dealers:
Whitesgems.com-Jeff White
wildfishgems.com-Ed Bristol
customgemstones.com-Dan Stair

I''m in touch with Ed & Jeff. Dan at present don''t have untreated sapphires with him.

Hope this helps!

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 5:43:09 PM
Author: rubylover
Tessari,

$10,000/ct is definetly way over prized. Even I''m looking for good quality rich blue sapphire. Check out with other members of this forum who have brought sapphire online.
Here are couple recommended online dealers:
Whitesgems.com-Jeff White
wildfishgems.com-Ed Bristol
customgemstones.com-Dan Stair

I''m in touch with Ed & Jeff. Dan at present don''t have untreated sapphires with him.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! This is very helpful!

And oops...I meant that heated is okay.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2008 12:31:39 PM
Author:tessari
$10,000+ for a 1.5 carat blue ceylon sapphire, no AGTA? Would post a picture but have one...it was pretty nice but had what looked like an ''air bubble'' in it--is this normal? is it an inclusion?

I guess this is another price gap question--why are prices at the sapphire websites so much lower than what I have seen in B&M stores? Is it best to just get a sapphire online and get it appraised? The price differential is really astounding.

My FF and I are looking for something in the 7.5 to 8.5 by 6.5 to 7.5 cushion or oval as a solitaire for an engagement ring--price range is 8,000 to 12,000 with just a very plain platinum setting (no diamonds or accent stones). Is this doable with a decent quality sapphire (unheated okay.)? I guess this would put me in the high 2 carat range to the 3 carat range and the 1.5 carat sapphire just looks to small...

Thansk for any explanations re who to trust and this huge price gap...
Depending on the colour, no, it might not be overpriced at all. If the stone is unheated and has that dreamy velvety look with a vivid saturation, prices can really hit the stratosphere. Having some inclusions is normal - some are eye clean and some might be loupe clean. As long as it is small and doesn''t break the surface or be near a corner point, it shouldn''t be bad at all.

Coloured stones is all about pricing. There''s just so many variables that it takes some time to explain why one stone is so much more than the other, but the foremost reason is colour.
1. Colour: purity of hue, depth of saturation and tone. Any undertones or gray mask will drop the value.
2. Size; larger = more expensive (as with colour too)
3. Rarity
4. Cut
5. Clarity

There is nothing wrong with an unheated sapphire and can be a good way to get a larger sapphire with great colour.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Try RW Wise. Gorgeous gems.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results