shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this round look good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I am having some trouble getting a 3 carat stone with good cut, color and clarity. Whiteflash has a diamond that is ACA 3.12 I colored and SI one. It''s at the very top of my pricerange.

I think I might be wise to give up some carat weight and the "hearts and arrows". There are not very many stones available at this size and this one caught my attention. What do you think? I''d still be getting a 9mm stone. Also, it is thousands less than my budget, so I could put it in a Mchael B or Leon Mege setting. Your input is so appreciated.

Nancy

Round
Carat weight: 2.83
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 62.0%
Table: 55.5%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Neglible
Measurements: 8.99*9.11*5.62

wen104

Shiny_Rock
That stone looks great to me. I am not an expert but from all my reading, researching and the posts on here that looks great. Also if it is going to save you some money to get a Leon setting I would do it. I would love to have something from him. Someday right, with my upgrade!

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Did you get pictures from them??

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
C&P angles?

And is this light performance graded or an older one?

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 2:16:41 PM
Author:fansynancy
I am having some trouble getting a 3 carat stone with good cut, color and clarity. Whiteflash has a diamond that is ACA 3.12 I colored and SI one. It''s at the very top of my pricerange.

I think I might be wise to give up some carat weight and the ''hearts and arrows''. There are not very many stones available at this size and this one caught my attention. What do you think? I''d still be getting a 9mm stone. Also, it is thousands less than my budget, so I could put it in a Mchael B or Leon Mege setting. Your input is so appreciated.

Nancy
Hi Nancy!!

It''s a big decision, I know, but I would agree that although H&A are beautiful, there are some stunning ''unbranded'' stones that are just as (if not more) captivating.

I think the key is to see them with your own eyes side by side. That may not be possible, but I think would be the best route to go. *wink*

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Nancy, there really isn''t enough info on the 2.83 ct. stone to make a solid recommendation. Without crown/pav angles, hard to know if the stone really is "comparable".

I''ve seen the 3.12 I, SI in person, and it''s a stunning stone.

I can understanding wanting to come in under budget, and I''m all in favor of compromising a bit to get there. But, on significant purchases, I feel like there has to be a balance there. I don''t see the value in spending $18K on something I''m not in love with if I could spend $22K and get something I''ll be over the moon for....just by way of example.

I realize the amounts are different in your scenario, but my point is don''t drop a ton on something that you''ll later feel so/so about. If the 2.83 stone is really well cut, then it sounds like a good possible compromise, but I''d make sure to do a ton of homework on that before deciding it''s for you.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I am having trouble getting this info cut and pasted from the James Allen website. It does say it''s an AGS Ideal cut stone. 0 0 0

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Ask if it''s the newer style AGSL report with "light performance" grade. If so, there''s little chance it''s a "dog". But due diligence is always needed.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
You can post the AGS report number here so anyone can look at a copy of the grading report (and if it is new / old) at AGSL web site. Even better if you post the direct link to the diamond.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
Light Performance 0
Proportion Factors 0
Finish 0
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Nothing wrong with 000!

9.gif

gontama

Shiny_Rock
That (light performance) means that the diamond has been graded under the new system. It may not be as stunning as the other one from WF you once considered. But it can never be a bad one. It is a nice diamond. It should be much better than the majority of the diamonds in the world. It is likely you are happy with it, considering that you know what you are doing.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
It is weighing the better cut (ACA vs AGS Ideal) and size (3.12 vs 2.87) of the WF stone to the somewhat better color (I to H) and clarity (SI to VS2) of the James Allen stone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 4:31:10 PM
Author: fansynancy
It is weighing the better cut (ACA vs AGS Ideal) and size (3.12 vs 2.87) of the WF stone to the somewhat better color (I to H) and clarity (SI to VS2) of the James Allen stone.
At this point, with this much money on the line, I would recommend having them both sent to an independent appraiser for a comparison. It could be the JA stone would be just as nice, ya never know....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the crown and pavillion angles of this stone or the link so that I can see the images? There is not enough information to fully evaluate the stone. I agree that braded or H&A labels are unessessary, but an emphasis on cut quality is vital.

pyle112

Rough_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1027734.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

looks like the JA isnt available anymore unless the OP has put a hold on it.

Selected: 62% depth, 55.5% table, 35.8° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.6 - Excellent
within FIC range

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The HCA gives the stone a 1.6 LR-EX, Fire-EX, Scint-VG, Spread-VG

The crown angle is a tad steep which means this diamond should be very firey. Some don''t like the look, but others love it. All in all it''s probably a very lovely stone in person.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll reiterate my last post. I really think they need to be compared....

gontama

Shiny_Rock
I agree with sending both to an independent appraiser so you can look at both stones side by side. Color (H vs I), Size (over 3ct vs near 3ct) and craftmanship (h&a vs near h&a). You never know what difference matters to you until you see them in person. Some may (not) see difference between H and I colors. Some may (not) see size difference between 3.12 and 2.83. Some may (not) see JA as a perfect H&A. By comparing the stones yourself with the aid of an appraiser, you will know yourself. Not many people can afford this kind of stone. Good luck!

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
The 2 stones from Whiteflash and 1 from James Allen are at David Atlas!! I am making PROGRESS!

Nancy

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
BTW- this is the 2nd Whiteflash diamond

DIAMONDS DETAILS

3.29 ct I SI2 A Cut Above H&A
$37,423.00 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: AGS-6877602
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 3.290
. Depth %: 61.4
. Table %: 55.6
. Crown Angle: 34.7
. Crown %: 15.4
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43.1
. Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 9.56-9.60X5.88
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible
This is the one Lynn saw and loved.
12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 8:15:55 PM
The 2 stones from Whiteflash and 1 from James Allen are at David Atlas!! I am making PROGRESS!

Nancy
36.gif
Good deal.

Can''t wait to hear!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 8:25:14 PM

This is the one Lynn saw and loved.
12.gif

I saw this stone too...and so did Mara when we were last there. Mara drooled all over it!
11.gif

That would be my top pick...the 3.29.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2007 8:15:55 PM

Nancy
Fabulous!!! Be sure you have David check the color for you. I think he has a fancy color machine! Whether the two I stones were high I or low I (or H or J) would matter to me. If both were equal, I''d go for the SI1.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
These stones are not equal in price. The James Allen Stone is 35K on their site. The WF 3.29 is 37-38K on their site and the 3.12 is 43K. These prices do not include the Pricescope discounts or Wire Transfer discounts.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you going to be able to view them with mr. atlas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results