shape
carat
color
clarity

does this price seem right???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Princes

Rough_Rock
The specs for the engagement ring (solitaire) are as follows:
Certified AGL
Shape/Cut: Round Brilliant
Color: E
Quality: VVS1
Weight: 1.10 ct
Band is 14k white gold and the 6 prong setting is platinum. This ring was not purchased out of the case, but it was built per their specifications.

Wedding band is a simple white gold band.
$7000
www.whitehall.com

did they pay to much????

I ask b/c I paid the same for my ring and while I didn't get a wedding band my ring is all platinum and their are two more diamonds. [shrugs]

GIA certified
Shape/Cut: Emerald
Color: E
Quality: VVS1
Weight: 1.02 ct (center) and two side stones of simular cut and clarity .25ct
Band is all Platinum.
$6900 after taxes and on sale. orig price was close to $9500.
Made by a gemologist who hand makes his own jewelry.
www.myprestigejewelry.com

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Your post says nothing about the first rings type of certification or either diamonds cut quality... without that info it is impossible to compare. You are comparing apples to oranges with two different shapes of diamonds as well. A simple white gold band can start at around $250 so that really wouldn't have an impact on the price. Based on a quick search on blue nile: it seems that emerald cuts are much cheaper than a RB of the same specs.

Emerald:
GIA cert
Weight- 1.02 ct
Very good cut
Color- E
Clarity- VVS1
$6,152

RB:
GIA cet
Weight- 1.02
Very good cut
Color-E
Clarity-VVS1
$10,641

DBM

Shiny_Rock
you''re comparing ROUNDS to Emeralds. Fancy shapes are cheaper per carat.

Princes

Rough_Rock
thanks guys!

i know little about diamonds but the BF/FI did his research. he says they got a decent deal. since i found this site i figured i'd ask as it appears there are alot of knowledgable ppl here.

btw, i edit my first post to reflect that my ring is GIA cert.

also, i do realize i am comparing two different shapes and i do understand that part of whole ordeal.

Princes

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/9/2006 6:25:43 PM
Author: the other Jake
Your post says nothing about the first rings type of certification or either diamonds cut quality... without that info it is impossible to compare. You are comparing apples to oranges with two different shapes of diamonds as well. A simple white gold band can start at around $250 so that really wouldn''t have an impact on the price. Based on a quick search on blue nile: it seems that emerald cuts are much cheaper than a RB of the same specs.

Emerald:

GIA cert

Weight- 1.02 ct

Very good cut

Color- E

Clarity- VVS1

$6,152

RB:

GIA cet

Weight- 1.02

Very good cut

Color-E

Clarity-VVS1

$10,641

WOW! It does appear she got a good deal but is it to good to be true? lol Also, I believe AGL certified the diamond. I do not know if that makes a difference. I''m gonna do some reading up on the difference in certs so I have a better understanding.

With that said, I am still wondering if my deal was a good deal.

Thanks again for your review and taking the time to respond.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
You never commented on the cut of your diamond. For example: excellent, good, fair, poor. That has a significant impact on price. Are the sidestones .25 total ct weight or each. What is the grade on the Platinum- 950? There is alot of specifics involved an it really isn''t possible to know for sure without looking at the piece. If you really want to know, take it to an appraiser.

Princes

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/10/2006 3:10:17 PM
Author: the other Jake
You never commented on the cut of your diamond. For example: excellent, good, fair, poor. That has a significant impact on price. Are the sidestones .25 total ct weight or each. What is the grade on the Platinum- 950? There is alot of specifics involved an it really isn''t possible to know for sure without looking at the piece. If you really want to know, take it to an appraiser.

My bad.
Cut I believe is good
Side stones are .25 ct weight EACH
no inclusions
no color/flouresents
I am unsure of the grade on the platinum but I am going to say it is 950. It did not appear to me or the BF/FI that this place carried anything but the best. He had ONE stone in the entire store that was of low quality and he uses it to show people like me who know nothing about the quality of diamonds what NOT to buy. The bf/fi did his research and he''s very smart when it comes to this stuff. He said of all the paces he looked that the quality of this diamond and the price we were getting it for we were getting a GREAT deal.
(we pick the ring up in three weeks-being resized and b/c we leave on vacation in a week so I am going off the top of my head of what I remember about the quality).

The place we bought the stone does appraisal and he also gives a certificate along w/ GIA''s cert. His certificate states replacement value for my ring is a little over $12k.
Not sure if any of this helps and the bf/fi is not here for me to ask. However, you do have me wondering what the grade on the platinum REALLY is.

thanks!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Here is a ROUGH estimate for you...

1.01 E VVS1
$5,267
.3 E VVSI x 2 @ $601 = $1,200 for sidestones
Three stone ring $1,225 (not made for emeralds but only one I could find without sidestones included)

Total: $7,692

Could probably get it cheaper if it was done together rather than looking up each item individually...

Princes

Rough_Rock
ahhh, well thats helpful. especially for me. i''m a visual person and i like to compare. since the bf/fi said he had already done this all over town, i''ll take it from him that what we got is a good deal. Once we get the ring and the certs, i''ll see what i can dig up online.

I also understand that we are buying hand made piece, so i guess we need to factor in his workemanship. he says he does not use molds or wax. [shrugs] and i took a basic jewelry making class in HS over 10yrs ago....i know NOTHING! lol

thanks again..... you all and this site have been very helpful.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Be happy with you purchase. Just be sure to come back and post some pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results