shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this modern cushion have the crushed ice look?

cramogon

Rough_Rock
I have started to receive images of diamonds from a few vendors and need some help in assessing the overall look and light performance of diamonds since my eye is not well trained yet. Does this cushion look like it has the crushed ice look that Rhino from GOG and others refer to? Any feedback is appreciated.

This is a 1.21 G VS1 GIA certified with excellent polish very good symmetry.

130v121.JPG

130v121-2.JPG

121GVS1M4.JPG

121GVS1M1.JPG

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
It is the one to the right, right? I'm no cushion expert but I'm pretty sure that it will have more of that crushed ice look. What kind of look in a cushion are you looking for? I would ask the vendor for an ASET image and post it here so experts can help tell you about light return in that particular cushion you posted.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does have a crushed ice look, yes. BUT, just because that isn't the popular look, that doesn't mean YOU can't love it. Do you love it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "crushed ice look" is a term that carries strong associations for many customers and vendors here.
Some love the look.
Some don't and have used the term in a derogatory way, such as with bowtie, fisheye, windowing, leakage and obstruction.
There have been big fights over the term here.

There is no official measurement or definition for the crushed ice look and so it is subjective whether a diamond has the look or not, or how much of the look it has.

I think all the baggage that comes along with this term is rather unfortunate.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be crushed ice to me. It does have somewhat of a pattern in it but I think looking from it at any distance besides
close up it is going to look crushed iced like.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Crushed Ice" is an extremely popular type of look in Radiant or Cushion.
There are vendors who abhor this look- and of course they will describe it using derogatory terms such as "Watery", "Slushy" or other nasty sounding descriptions. But that's really a matter of personal taste.
Even the photographic methods used by some vendors who dislike crushed ice put such stones at a disadvantage- when in real life they dazzle.

Some of the most prestigious names in the jewelry world sell gorgeous "crushed ice" cushions.

cramogon- the photos are not all that great- but the one on the right does look like a "crushed ice" look.

cramogon

Rough_Rock
Mrs W|1315420006|3011825 said:
It is the one to the right, right? I'm no cushion expert but I'm pretty sure that it will have more of that crushed ice look. What kind of look in a cushion are you looking for? I would ask the vendor for an ASET image and post it here so experts can help tell you about light return in that particular cushion you posted.

Yes, it is the one on the right. I want one with modern look and not the antique or vintage look that has the broader/chunkier facets.

cramogon

Rough_Rock
I was directed to view this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

The video mentions that light leakage contributes to the crushed ice look. I'm not saying anything bad about the crushed ice look, but I am trying to distinguish between which diamonds have less light leakage. I'm not sure if I love this diamond, but since my eye is untrained, I am not able to tell if this diamond has a lot of light leakage, and since I am dealing with online vendors and cannot view these diamonds in person I am trying to get some input on assessing light performance. Does the crushed ice look not mean that the diamond will have light leakage?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cramogon- I have not watched the video you linked to.
But as a general comment-
Leakage is a term that sounds really negative.
However all diamonds "leak" light. Although it might seem that a diamond that leaks less is better, that's just not the case.
What may be unattractive is patterns of light leakage that are unpleasant.
If the diamond reflected 100% of the light back to your eye it would be more like a mirror.
What will be attractive to your eye is most important- that's why I hope people look at a lot of diamonds if they can to make up their own minds.
Stones like Hearts and Arrows Ideal Cut Round diamonds have well defined patterning.
Crushed ice, by it's very nature is less "organized"
In some ways, that makes it harder to judge- but also easier .
Because if one is not looking for some precise pattern- the bottomless sparkle effect of crushed ice your eyes will tell you all you need to know when you're looking at stones. People looking for precise H&A type patterning will look for certain table depth crown height numbers - with good reason. If you want that look you need a higher crown, smaller table.
Crushed ice type stones work with a far wider range of proportion sets. They can be more shallow ( sometimes a very desirable trait) or deeper than organized pattern stones- and still look great.

It's certainly more difficult to convey the crushed ice appearance in photos.
I've seen videos that make it crushed ice stones look pretty bad- but others that are better at capturing that look.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cramogon|1315427350|3011975 said:
I was directed to view this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

The video mentions that light leakage contributes to the crushed ice look. I'm not saying anything bad about the crushed ice look, but I am trying to distinguish between which diamonds have less light leakage. I'm not sure if I love this diamond, but since my eye is untrained, I am not able to tell if this diamond has a lot of light leakage, and since I am dealing with online vendors and cannot view these diamonds in person I am trying to get some input on assessing light performance. Does the crushed ice look not mean that the diamond will have light leakage?

A properly taken ASET pic will tell you if a cushion has light leakage.

Get your vendor to provide an ASET pic taken correctly.
If she can't or won't do that tell her you will go to another vendor who will.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me- the stone on the right is what I would call crushed ice. Personally, I like the look- everyone is different. Pick a stone that appeals to you and dont worry about what other people categorize the stone as as long as you like it :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results