shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this look normal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Luckyone

Rough_Rock
I always notice that my diamond has a dark core when it is in a still position (not moving around), although it really does sparkle when it is moving. Does this look normal to you guys out there? I''ve tried to hold it in various positions so you can see what I mean. It almost always looks like this, not just when it is reflecting off a dark surface. I apologize for the poor photo quality, I am still learning.

Thank you.

A1Diamond.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
luckyone welcome...I''m going to move all your pics to this thread so it''s easier for folks to follow. also, to attach in the same thread you just need to hit reply (in your own thread). you started a new topic each time
1.gif

a1diamond2.JPG

a1diamond3.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s Garry''s reponse to one of your threads..

Date: 1/3/2007 1:45:19 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
you can reply to your own thread - it is less confusing.

Take the photo''s from much further away on the largest pixel setting - and cut and paste the center and blow it up

this darkness is caused by the camera and lens being very close - does it only do it like that - or does it appear that way when you look at it from say 15 to 20 inches / 40-50cm too?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s what tanalasta said:

Date: 1/3/2007 1:53:17 AM
Author: tanalasta
Looks a bit like mine!

Perhaps your stone is slightly shallow.

The other explanation is similar to what Mr H said - have a look at ''head shadow'' on www.idealscope.com - by blocking the light entering from the crown (front on), you''re seeing less light coming back. Hence the centre appears ''dark''.

How does it look slightly tilted to one side or in other lighting?

Hint - either use your camera from further away then use a photo editing program to crop the middle or use the ''macro'' mode on your camera so your photos are not quite so fuzzy closeup.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Stones with dark centers like this are usually "steep & deep" stones, with steep crown angles coupled with deep pavilion angles. That relationship usually produces a dark center area.

On the good side, sometimes these steep & deep stones have good colored light return (fire).

You don''t happen to know the "numbers" on your stone, do you? We could tell from that. Even the diameter versus depth numbers would give a clue.

Luckyone

Rough_Rock
Hi Richard! The dimensions are:
Depth: 60.5
Table: 55
Crown: 35 (range 34.9-35.1)
Pavilion: 40.7 (Range 40.6-41)

0.8%-3.5%

Does this tell you anything? I think the numbers are okay? The ring definitely ''sparkles'' as much as my friends rings. However, the centers of their diamonds are generally as white as the crown area, while mine is generally much darker than the crown area. I know their rings cost quite a bit less, so perhaps mine is actually a superior diamond, but I''m curious why it looks worse to my eyes. It is evident up close, and even 10 feet away.

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results