bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think this is a spinel?

spinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly. Could be synthetic too as it looks clean and the cheapish setting does not bolster its authenticity. Why the question? What makes you suspect the stone to be? It could even be a garnet of the pyrope variety. Who knows without the stone in hand?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1336096557|3187097 said:
Possibly. Could be synthetic too as it looks clean and the cheapish setting does not bolster its authenticity. Why the question? What makes you suspect the stone to be? It could even be a garnet of the pyrope variety. Who knows without the stone in hand?

It's advertised as so and an antique.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a big stone for a red spinel. Was it also advertised as a natural stone?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seller notes that it tested as spinel on a presdium tester but he does not have a refractory tester to tell if it's natural or synthetic.
It's a 10mm stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern is that it could be synthetic because it is huge and clean. Synthetics were also quite popular during the certain periods in the past. I have seen gorgeous Art Deco jewellery with synthetic stones.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you are right. If I knew it were real, I would call it in to take a look.

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1336096557|3187097 said:

Well, if it does turn out to be a Pyrope Garnet, at least its a nice one, so thats something.... I dont see a whole lot of Pyrope garnets which are lighter colored like that, they are usually darker with more black zones, and often some brownishness and without the slight pinkish/raspberry hue. But garnet varieties seem to come mixed with other garnet varieties, so maybe its a Rhodolite/Pyrope hybrid or something.

If it is, I'll buy it, as I dont have a nice Pyrope anyway.

Here's a picture of what purports to be a pure Pyrope of top quality. If that picture below is a real Pyrope, its a really nice one!

http://www.modernjeweler.com/images/article/1199309845109_Pyrope-garnet-by-John-Dyer.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
"presdium tester "...ekkkkkk :nono:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen some very nice, big and clean red pyrope garnet occasionally offered by Brad of the Gem Trader. Almost bought one too but held off in the end.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Barrett|1336104335|3187177 said:
"presdium tester "...ekkkkkk :nono:

Ditto. I would take anything that says with a big pince of salt and consider that the stone is completely untested.

The chances are that is is either a pyrope garnet (looks a bit too clean and colour too good for that setting) or more likely a synthetic ruby or spinel.

If it's cheap I'd probably take a chance, but you'll need to add in the cost of having it tested.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have a nice red pyrope. But it's small, only 6mm. Wish it was larger.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you put a large, potentially valuable, red spinel in a cheap setting? Only if you had no clue about gemstones or you were short of money and just wanted a temporary setting!

As for a presidium tester? :-o :nono: :-o Basically they can't measure with any degree of accuracy so whilst they may rule out (in some cases) some gems, synthetics/simulants are now so good that they can easily fool one of these testers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results