Does this look like a reproduction?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDE6ACBC-68AC-42AD-89E2-3D182581D6C1.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a minimum it looks like the main bezel isn’t original, IMO.

F3026B4D-F51C-401C-AEF3-4DEBAD14BD95.jpeg
are these area’s jagged hacksaw cut marks or just strange shadows?

without knowing more - I do believe I’ve seen newly done replicas to look very much like the metalwork I’m seeing in your picture ( with newly cut stones to look old).

but nothing definitive to my eye it’s new or authentic old.

hopefully someone with much more experience chimes in. Maybe a photo of the underside will help them?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It felt very lightweight to me. Stamped 95 percent irdi but I agree with you on the bezel

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...or stamped? Either way, it looks poorly executed to me -- the piercing and the fat bezel around the marquise and the narrow "waist." It looks like there is a lot of missing detail where the milgraining is not L/R-symmetric or even continuous.

At arm's length, it may look lovely and elegant.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doubt it’s antique. The quality of workmanship seems low.
in my opinion It doesn’t have the appearance of age related wear moreso sloppy execution of the “style”.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Could it be a poor cast perhaps that was made newer?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is old, 1940 era. Design details have that vibe for me. Although 5% irid 95% platinum is IMO not common (It was usually 10/90). Is it possibly 95% Palladium 5% iridium? According to Lang’s Palladium was used instead of Platinum during wartime. Diamonds are all old cut (antique pear with large culet and single cuts). This type of workmanship is hand done IMO (IMO die struck not cast). The center diamond might have once been larger there are places where it looks like a larger bezel was cut out of the ring, but replaced with smaller genuine antique marquise?

I’m guessing here… Can we see shank and underside?

Last edited:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd say it's a "new" repro

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can someone link to newly done Platinum or Palladium replicas using newly cut stones w antique cut style to look old? I don’t think they exist.

in contrast I’ve seen many antique rings dismantled, scavenged, with antique stones cut out and replaced with smaller or cheaper stones.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone link to newly done Platinum or Palladium replicas using newly cut stones w antique cut style to look old? I don’t think they exist.

in contrast I’ve seen many antique rings dismantled, scavenged, with antique stones cut out and replaced with smaller or cheaper stones.

Rozental would be one that I think of that has created new settings to look old and does use newly cut stones that look old cut too.
I’m about positive they do use the (palladium?) platinum as my ring from them isn’t stamped at all. It doesn’t have typical platinum heft. I asked him, and I was told old metal from an ugly brooch was melted and reused.

They do this along with selling period antiques and of course state the difference in their listings. They have disabled the ability to look through their sold archives, unfortunately, for me to easily go find & show an example in this similar style.

Without trolling multiple sites back for years examples to give as proof, I’m not going to name others that I think are a possibility, but I can think of a few that yeah - they’ve sold reproductions (and listed as such!) in platinum that look old and have old cut stones in them :)

I know ‘that Argentinian bench’ has been discussed for quite a few years now - so there’s that option too. The one ring I used to have from that bench, partly platinum, had newly cut but to look old diamonds in it sourced from them.

ETA
OR are you being specific in reproduction that maybe might look like it could possibly be diestruck?
Piecework sure. Diestruck not sure.

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rozental would be one that I think of that has created new settings to look old and does use newly cut stones that look old cut too.
I’m about positive they do use the (palladium?) platinum as my ring from them isn’t stamped at all. It doesn’t have typical platinum heft. I asked him, and I was told old metal from an ugly brooch was melted and reused.

They do this along with selling period antiques and of course state the difference in their listings. They have disabled the ability to look through their sold archives, unfortunately, for me to easily go find & show an example in this similar style.

Without trolling multiple sites back for years examples to give as proof, I’m not going to name others that I think are a possibility, but I can think of a few that yeah - they’ve sold reproductions (and listed as such!) in platinum that look old and have old cut stones in them :)

I know ‘that Argentinian bench’ has been discussed for quite a few years now - so there’s that option too. The one ring I used to have from that bench, partly platinum, had newly cut but to look old diamonds in it sourced from them.

ETA
OR are you being specific in reproduction that maybe might look like it could possibly be diestruck?
Piecework sure. Diestruck not sure.

I didn’t know Rozental was also using Palladium and Platinum. Iridium is not used now (vendors stopped ten plus years ago), so Nala’s ring could have been a modern repro but made more than a decade ago? Yes I’ve seen Rozental sell repros with old cut stones. I didn’t realize the were newly cut… Not sure if they were called repros.

Agentinian bench, yes. About ten years ago I was told by a brick and mortar antique jewelry jeweler on the East Coast that almost ALL their displayed items were Argentinian settings. NOT antique, actually Modern. These settings looked gorgeous and authetic, but I took note. That dealer wouldn’t sell me a repro setting without the center stone.

I’ve seen some very pretty repros being sold as authentic from Turkey, but no platinum. Lots of Rose Cut diamonds (even some with “wear” to the facet junctions, making them appear vintage), and some pillaged old mines (maybe they too are newly cut?). Gold and Silver settings.

And I see a several Etsy dealers obviously selling (their entire stock almost) repro rings from the same bench. With antique styles and stones. Very pretty but I’m really curious what’s happening…

But I’ve never seen platinum Iridium repros.

As a consumer of estate/vintage I take everything now as a possible repro, and you have to look widely to see patterns, then look closely. Scary.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results