shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this look like a Padparadscha to you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m interested in getting a pad, and a dealer sent me this photo. I just don''t want it to be another pink sapphire that is classified as a pad. That drives me crazy.

I see orange in there, but I wanted all the pad experts to give their opinion on it. I know the cutting isn''t the best, but to me, color is always the most important thing with rare colored gemstones.

I''m also looking at the Natural Sapphire Company, but I''m not so sure all of the stones they say are pads, are really pads.

pad_maybe2.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
admittedly i''m not a pad person, but it looks more pink too me than a pad should.

movie zombie

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m hardly an expert, and it''s tough to tell just by a photo, but it seems too pink. I think pads should be somewhere between the colors of light salmon and pink i. e. changing on parts from one to another as the stone is moved.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all the other posters, it''s a lovely gem but perhaps too pink for a pad.

It''s so difficult to find a good pad. Fingers crossed you get a lovely one!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find certain websites that are highly recommended also sell pads this color, so it throws you off. Ugh!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this one?? He sent me this photo next. It's not as pink as the top one, and I do see some "salmon" color there. It's also cut better than the first one.

pad2434.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 8:56:57 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What about this one?? He sent me this photo next. It''s not as pink as the top one, and I do see some ''salmon'' color there. It''s also cut better than the first one.
Seems a bit better, but one should see photos taken from several diferent angles in order to make any real judgment on stones such as pads. Seing them in person (or at least in a video) is best, of course.

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe I''m imagining things, but I think this stone...

http://www.vivicgems.com/Products/Natural%20gems/Natural-product/n-tourmaline/ptor-ov7.jpg

...looks more "padish" than that pad - and it''s not even a sapphire (it''s a 3.09 ct tourmaline priced at 198$). Or how about ordering a precision cut tourmaline - a good cutter could get some orange flashes coming out of pink tourmaline and at a reasonable price too (setting it in yellow gold wouldn''t hurt also). Of course, it can''t look identical to a great pad, but it would resemble it more than many "pads" sold these days.

planet_jp

Rough_Rock
...looks more ''padish'' than that pad - and it''s not even a sapphire
I''m going to try to attach a picture of a Malaya garnet from Gemrite. First attempt ever...

padgarnetprinc.jpg

planet_jp

Rough_Rock
Wow! It worked!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You really have to see the stone in person. I bought all of my pads from The Natural Sapphire Company. Steven Bliss was wonderful to work with. Some of the stones looked pink on his website. When I received them in person to inspect they were gorgeous. They looked entirely different. The colors blended perfectly.

The play of colors look different in different lighting also. The pad in my avatar is the perfect 50/50 split

Linda

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Linda, I have been drooling over your pad for a long time. Can you repost pics of your pad or a link that you have posted before with pics of your pad? please please....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2008 4:19:36 PM
Author: Linda W
You really have to see the stone in person. I bought all of my pads from The Natural Sapphire Company. Steven Bliss was wonderful to work with. Some of the stones looked pink on his website. When I received them in person to inspect they were gorgeous. They looked entirely different. The colors blended perfectly.

The play of colors look different in different lighting also. The pad in my avatar is the perfect 50/50 split

Linda
I found a thread on PS where someone got a pad from NSC, and when they had a major gemlab look at it (I think GIA or AGTA), they deemed it a pink sapphire, not a pad. NSC took it back and apologized for the mistake, but this person was out $60 for the lab cert, so you can never be sure with anyone I guess, even a super reputable firm like NSC. NSC has many gorgeous stones, but that thread kind of threw me for a loop.

Your stone is absolutely gorgeous by the way. I''m glad you chimed in on this because I always admiringly see your pad in your avitar.
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 6:39:51 PM
Date: 10/11/2008 4:19:36 PM

Author: Linda W

Linda

I found a thread on PS where someone got a pad from NSC, and when they had a major gemlab look at it (I think GIA or AGTA), they deemed it a pink sapphire, not a pad. NSC took it back and apologized for the mistake, but this person was out $60 for the lab cert, so you can never be sure with anyone I guess, even a super reputable firm like NSC. NSC has many gorgeous stones, but that thread kind of threw me for a loop.

Your stone is absolutely gorgeous by the way. I''m glad you chimed in on this because I always admiringly see your pad in your avitar.
30.gif

I was thrown for a loop by that thread also. It never happened to me and I felt bad for that OP''s experience

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 6:27:27 PM
Author: lovegem
Linda, I have been drooling over your pad for a long time. Can you repost pics of your pad or a link that you have posted before with pics of your pad? please please....

I am so embarrassed!! People have asked me so many times for pictures and I don''t have any. My daughter is the one, who would have to take pictures. She takes all of my pictures for me. I keep asking her and she never gets around to doing it. I will have to pin her down to do it.

My pad in my Avatar is my prize. I wear it as an alternative to my wedding ring. I only wear it on special occasions. I was thinking one day of having it re-set to a halo, to give it protection. I am so afraid of knocking it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay Linda,
Since I''ve never seen a pad in person, what exactly should I be looking for? Should it almost be dichroic, or trichroic with colors going from orange to pink. Or should it be a solid color of orange/pink mix? The first stone I showed above was mainly a body color of pink, but it had orange flashes. The dealer sent me other pics of the stone.

So confused! Please educate me since I''m not a sapphire afficianado. I''ve always actually stayed away from sapphires because of all the treatments, but this has a cert stating that there is no evidence of heat treatment from a reputable lab.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually just got a Malaya garnet from multicolour.com with almost the same color. I tend to like the stone a little more pink, but that''s just me. Beautiful stone, and great cut though.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I found the link from before. Here the stones that I had made into earrings and stone I had to made into a pendant. Both from the NSC. They look pink, but when I received them, they are the perfect Lotus Flower color.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey it didn''t work. I''ll try again

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/linda-w-s-pads-t58534.html

Here it is. I don''t know why it doesn''t come out, where you just can''t click on it and it works.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pad colors are pink/orange that means the orange is the more dominant color. If a pad is orange pink/ the pink is the dominant color. I am trying to find an article I once had about it. let me try to find it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another picture from a different angle of the first stone, which kind of grabs my attention a bit more than the second stone. As you can see there are orange flashes there at the top.

pad2425.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.palagems.com/ruby_sapphire_borders.htm#buying_guide

Here is a great article written by Richard Hughes. It shows a picture of a large padparadscha crystal and that is the color of what mine is.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
there should be orange throughout the whole stone, not just a little on top, it should blend in perfectly.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my pad (well, OK, my DW's) - 1.24ct. Probably not the best example in the world - especially as far as cut is concerned - but I think it's a nice colour. I believe the other stones you posted are "too pink" for a pad as defined by AGTA - which as Richard Harris noted means Sweet Fanny Adams in terms of their loveliness.

Padparascha 2.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 3:02:15 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Here''s my pad (well, OK, my DW''s) - 1.24ct. Probably not the best example in the world - especially as far as cut is concerned - but I think it''s a nice colour. I believe the other stones you posted are ''too pink'' for a pad as defined by AGTA - which as Richard Harris noted means Sweet Fanny Adams in terms of their loveliness.

Nice color. Again, pads can look pink in different lighting. As an example search Widget''s padparadscha. Her''s is my all time favorite. Pinkish by day, orangey in different lighting.

Also, you will see on Cherrypicked''s website some of their pad''s are more pink also. http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/GeneralSearch.aspx?CategoryID=1&action=type

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I saw Widget's pad, and my mouth was agape as I was looking at it.

The color reminded me of cotton candy (well the stone is a lot more beautiful of course).

disneyland-hong-kong-cotton-candy.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 3:02:15 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Here''s my pad (well, OK, my DW''s) - 1.24ct. Probably not the best example in the world - especially as far as cut is concerned - but I think it''s a nice colour. I believe the other stones you posted are ''too pink'' for a pad as defined by AGTA - which as Richard Harris noted means Sweet Fanny Adams in terms of their loveliness.
Gorgeous pad!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 3:44:28 PM

I saw Widget''s pad, and my mouth was agape as I was looking at it.

The color reminded me of cotton candy (well the stone is a lot more beautiful of course).

Widgets Pad is my dream ring
30.gif
I absolutely LOVE it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results