shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this diamond look green?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to judge, bc you don't know the setting/lighting where the picture was taken. That having been said, In the picture it looks yellowish to me.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to me?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't say.
Very often pics are NOT accurately color balance.
Usually this is ignorance or operator error, but sometimes it's intentional to deceive an online buyer.

If there was ANY 'attractive' (see below) green hue you can be assured the professional owner would have sent it to GIA hoping to get a grade like Faint or Very Light Green.
If GIA determines both the material and color itself are of natural origin their green grade will be worth MUCH more money than even a D grade on GIA's white D-Z scale.

That said, I believe I read about a mine somewhere that produces diamonds with a green that's not 'attractive' enough for GIA to grade them on their FCD scale.
This also happens with brown, yellow, and gray.
The fast majority of E-Z diamonds have a hue that leans towards yellow, but when it's brown, gray, or green GIA may note the hue in the comments.

gia_fcd_chart.png

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's slightly grayish green on my screen.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1446698126|3945908 said:
It's slightly grayish green on my screen.

It is on my screen too - a very attractive (though barely there) tint. But the real question is whether that will show up in real life...

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even if it's a virtual diamond, you can ask the vendor to check with supplier if there's a green tint. Tell them you will return a green tinted diamond (I'm assuming you don't want green tinted?) and they might be more careful in verification if they don't want to deal with a higher chance of potential return.

But if you like green and it shows up irl too, that will be great!

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
kenny said:
Can't say.
Very often pics are NOT accurately color balance.
Usually this is ignorance or operator error, but sometimes it's intentional to deceive an online buyer.

If there was ANY 'attractive' (see below) green hue you can be assured the professional owner would have sent it to GIA hoping to get a grade like Faint or Very Light Green.
If GIA determines both the material and color itself are of natural origin their green grade will be worth MUCH more money than even a D grade on GIA's white D-Z scale.

That said, I believe I read about a mine somewhere that produces diamonds with a green that's not 'attractive' enough for GIA to grade them on their FCD scale.
This also happens with brown, yellow, and gray.
The fast majority of E-Z diamonds have a hue that leans towards yellow, but when it's brown, gray, or green GIA may note the hue in the comments.
GIA does not note green hues in Cape series diamonds. In fact a diamond having a pure green hue saturation at or below G grade will be noted as a fancy colored diamond.

GIA also does not note greenish yellow tints either and those tints are considered on the Cape scale. Again a yellowish green tint at or below G would be fancy colored diamond.

GIA notes grey and brown tints when these color are the primary tints and not the over tones. As such a brownish yellow or a greying greenish yellow will not receive a tint remark.

There are many mixed tinted diamonds that can have pinkish brown, greenish yellow, brownish yellow, greenish grey tints. Some of these can be ugly and some can be attractive.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Also even if the photographs are on perfect white balance there's no guarantee that the viewers monitors colors are also calibrated to the same standard. Screen can never a guide to diamonds color really unless you are comparing two diamonds side by side in a diffused lighting environment. Digital photos with diamonds back lit (like with photography systems) will all look the same color on the Cape series.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could show a green tint in person or it could be an artifact of the photography. Best to ask the vendor.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's really not a good idea to try to color grade a diamond from a photo on a computer monitor because of all the uncontrolled variables mentioned. The lab grading report is a much better indication. If the concern is that the stone may be from Zimbabwe and implicated in sanctions involving conflict diamonds, the presence of green could be an indication. Here is some info on that issue.

http://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=52292&ArticleTitle=Zimbabwes+Green+Diamonds+Remain+a+Risk+for+U.S.+Traders

Not sure I see much green in the photo on my end, but it does look grainy. That also could be a photo artifact or the stone could be a little cloudy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results