shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this diamond look brown?

kimbleellie

Rough_Rock
Hi, sorry for 2nd post in as many days.

I'm wondering if I can get opinions on this diamond I've reserved.

Does it look brown?

Someone said it does, and now I'm not sure...

Many thanks in advance for feedback

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, sorry for 2nd post in as many days.

I'm wondering if I can get opinions on this diamond I've reserved.

Does it look brown?

Someone said it does, and now I'm not sure...

Many thanks in advance for feedback

It’s a beautiful diamond. Every diamond has a base of usually brown or yellow. I prefer the brown base... I think most people prefer yellow. You most likely won’t notice the brown. I have a very small M faint brown diamond. It doesn’t appear brown. It’s just gorgeous and doesn’t have that yellow look that I don’t care for. When you get it look at it in different lighting conditions and post them here. I would love to see it!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So diamonds are not graded from their face up color, and the amount of tint in the body justifies the J color rating.
Whether or not J looks too tinted to you comes down to personal preference and a bit of cut. I’ve seen some fantastic J’s on here from WF and HPD that look fabulously white face up. I’ve also seen some J’s that have detectable color but didn’t bother the owner at all.
If you’re super concerned about diamond color, it may be worth seeing a couple of diamonds in a range of colors in person.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You usually find a faint brown faces up much whiter and the tint is less visible than a faint yellow. Always try and look for that if you can.

I agree...When I tilted my previous I color diamond..I could see a yellow tint. When I tilted my M faint light brown color diamond it just appeared slighter warmer. Face up it was white..Not icy white..but white..

kimbleellie

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone. I'll post pics of the diamond when it arrives and let you know what I think. I appreciate the feedback!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I will be super curious of your findings. Some people say brown modifier looks less noticeable in person, others say that yellow modifier will look more bright whereas brown might just look darker overall.

I found this photo very interesting. The video showed the brown modifier whiter somehow, but in my picture the brown one looks darker. F44EC5CB-ACE8-4168-A79F-03BD30C3EE4A.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like brownish yellow to me, almost a golden brown. If you are wanting a stone to face up as white as possible, I am not thinking this will be it. I'd strongly suggest comparing it to other J stones before you decide whether to keep it.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 took the words out of my mouth! It's a golden brown as opposed to the cooler almost grey/brown tint some stones have. It'll look magical in rose or yellow gold but in white, I think it might not face up that white.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @monipod and @diamondseeker2006

I'm a little confused, are you saying the diamond I've chosen
(https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-10380157?#)

is too brown and I should reconsider?

Or are you looking at the image posted by @nojs

Also, "IF" i could go for this, would it be a considerably better option in regards to colour?

As opposed to this:

thanks!

Yes, I think the one at JA has a bit of yellow brown and I personally wouldn't choose it.

The 1.16 J VS2 is the best of the three stones, in my opinion, in terms of cut and color.

I like a champagne color brown diamond (which would be a very low color). But in a J, I'd be hesitant to get the brown tint.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my experience GIA ding brownish tints and grade a 1/2 grade or more harshly.
But if the fluorescence is Blue then Strong will mask the color in almost all lighting (except very very bright LED and improve the color by about 2 grades.

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
Yes looks brown

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I think the one at JA has a bit of yellow brown and I personally wouldn't choose it.

The 1.16 J VS2 is the best of the three stones, in my opinion, in terms of cut and color.

I like a champagne color brown diamond (which would be a very low color). But in a J, I'd be hesitant to get the brown tint.

The james allen and bluenile are the same stone right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results