shape
carat
color
clarity

does this count as an independent appraisal...w/in help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I am not sure on what to do about the appraisal process. I read an independant appraisal should be done. Independent as in they do not sell anything for profit. An appraisal should not be done by whoever you bought it from.

With this said, my situation is as follows. I bought my diamond loose from DCD''s and had it verified to be the same as the certificate by a local store. I cannot find "independent appraiser" in the phonebook. Every jewelry appraiser is listed as local stores in the area.

I called a local store and they told me if I bought the setting from them, they would appraise the stone for 45 dollars. Some stores said 75 dollars. Will the appraisal be accurate and valid since the setting part of the sale is done by the same source whom is appraising it. Or should I have it set and then take it somewhere else to get appraised. I''d like to note, looking up just "appraisal" in the phone book gave names of places but most referred to estate appraisals. Do they ppl do jewelry as well?

Very confused as to what to do.

Robert O.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Robert,

An "independent appraisal" as you've pointed out is one that is obtained from a GIA Graduate Gemologist or the equivelent thereof who does not work for, nor is affiliated with a jewelry store. You will not find the term "independent appraiser" as a heading in your telephone book, but they can be found by calling a few of the gemologists listed and asking for a referral to an independent appraiser... There is an excellent list of appraisers listed on the page which is available via the "appraisers" link located in the upper right hand corner of this page or you can do a search for an appraiser on the American Society of Appraisers web site http://www.appraisers.org/ using the field of "diamonds & jewelry" as an expertise... You didn't mention where you live, but you might consider doing so because it is possible that somebody here on PS knows of an independent appraiser or at least a reputable and fairly impartial store appraiser in your locality.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Will the appraisal be accurate and valid since the setting part of the
sale is done by the same source whom is appraising it. Or should I
have it set and then take it somewhere else to get appraised. I'd
like to note, looking up just "appraisal" in the phone book gave names
of places but most referred to estate appraisals. Do they ppl do
jewelry as well?
-----------

I would recommend having the appraisal done elsewhere other than the place that sold you the diamond, or the place that sold you the setting and set the stone.

In the first instance, the independent appraiser will give you an unbiased opinion on whether the stone is correct as represented, how it "ranks", and whether it is a fair price.

In the second instance, the independent appraiser will tell you if the stone appears to be the same one you purchased, was correctly set, and report if any damage was sustained during the setting process. This is unlikely, but I've seen it happen before, with the setting jeweler failing to report that they damaged the stone, hoping that it would go unnoticed.

Where do you live? Maybe we can find an independent for you. If not, you might consider registered mailing the ring to an independent for analysis. Many of the independents make it a point to try and do a quick turnaround time on the internet jobs, often getting them back to you quicker than your local appraiser would.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. I live in OH and have already visited that link and came up blank. Youngstown, OH to be exact...44512. I tried looking up Western PA since it is fairy close and found someone in new castle. Upon further invesigation of that particular name, it turns out he works directly for Kings Jewerly. So there blows that.

I don't wanna spend 45 bucks at the place that is going to set it if it won't count for insurance.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results