Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

does this band overpower my 1.08 diamond?

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
I went e-ring shopping and fell in love with a channel setting with princess cut diamonds. I chose a round center diamond. There is part of me that is worried that this setting is too thick and will overpower my center diamond which is only a 1.08 carat. I don't want my diamond to get "lost." What do you think?

The jeweler has to replace the princess cut head for one made for a round diamond so the picture is a bit off, sorry. And it needs to be sized down to a 5.

image_308.jpg
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,782
I think once it is sized to your finger it will look very pretty and it comes down to personal taste of course but fwiw I would prefer a thinner less blingy band I think for your pretty diamond. A quieter band would make the diamond pop more but it really comes down to what you want. If you want the whole ring to be blingy and pop from afar this works. But if you want the main ER diamond to pop I would opt for a different band. My opinion only and there is no right or wrong. It comes down to what you love and want to wear everyday.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,640
I think once it fits it will be pretty. It's hard to get a good feel though because the stone is just setting in the
head and the head doesnt fit the stone.
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,830
I agree with tyty, it's a little hard to tell because it's sitting in a bigger head. It looks like it could be very pretty, but it will be an overall blingy pretty look, vs. your stone popping.

I would want the jeweler to order a new setting made for your diamond and finger size. They should have no problem doing this, but if they do, I'd move on to another jeweler (and have done so myself).
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
tyty333|1452518378|3974125 said:
I think once it fits it will be pretty. It's hard to get a good feel though because the stone is just setting in the
head and the head doesnt fit the stone.
Thank you. Yes, I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how it is going to look because the head is a different shape and so big.
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
rainydaze|1452519176|3974131 said:
I agree with tyty, it's a little hard to tell because it's sitting in a bigger head. It looks like it could be very pretty, but it will be an overall blingy pretty look, vs. your stone popping.

I would want the jeweler to order a new setting made for your diamond and finger size. They should have no problem doing this, but if they do, I'd move on to another jeweler (and have done so myself).
Thank you. I thought it was the norm to take the sample one and have it fitted. Out of curiosity, what is the reason you recommend asking them to order me the setting? I'm working with GOG so I believe they will work on this with me if I request it....although they didn't recommend ordering it, they originally said they would size it and replace the head and they took it off the floor and reserved it for me.

Edit: does it usually cost more to have it ordered with the right size and head? Thanks!
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
3,074
You'll need to ask GOG about the price for a new semi-mount in your ring size with head suited for your stone; it's possible that will cost more since the one you've been discussing with them is an in-stock, "showroom model" & they may have quoted you a lower price for it than a customized order from the manufacturer would be.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,640
How much too big is that setting (fingerwise)? If the head is just a peg head, which I cant tell from the pictures, it shouldnt be
hard to replace but if your finger size is a lot smaller then downsizing it can cause the stones in the ring to be loosened and cause
issues down the road.
 

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
7,339
Since you're asking for opinions, I'll give you mine.......
I think it that band will compete with your stone. I think it would look bigger as a solitaire and if you love the channel set diamonds, get a wedding band like that. Of course - it ONLY matters what you like, not what I like/perceive. I'll take a pic of what I'm suggesting though.
 

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
322
Personally, I would limit the side of the band to no more than 1/2 the width of your stone. If you stone is 6mm, then I would keep the band under 3mm proportionally. I think mowtownmamas set looks great- thinner erring and bling you channel set band or do a thinner channel set band than the one you posted.
 

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
563
I'd also stick with the 1/2 width of the diamond but would aim for 1/3. I was advised that resizing a setting like that could cause issues if it's resized more than half a size either way. I'm guessing it must have been a great deal because it seems like quite a bit of effort to resize it plus change the head out.
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
solgen|1452545593|3974382 said:
I'd also stick with the 1/2 width of the diamond but would aim for 1/3. I was advised that resizing a setting like that could cause issues if it's resized more than half a size either way. I'm guessing it must have been a great deal because it seems like quite a bit of effort to resize it plus change the head out.
The ring is definitely more than 1/2 a size too big. They didn't mention any issues about making it smaller. Thanks for the info - its always good to be informed :)
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
Travelgal|1452539391|3974314 said:
Personally, I would limit the side of the band to no more than 1/2 the width of your stone. If you stone is 6mm, then I would keep the band under 3mm proportionally. I think mowtownmamas set looks great- thinner erring and bling you channel set band or do a thinner channel set band than the one you posted.
I agree with your thoughts and like the idea of 1/2 width as my concern was that the band was too wide for the diamond and that it would get lost in the look. Thanks for your input!
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37

Thank you for your thoughts and your picture! I think I will take a look at some plain solitaires when I return to the store.

P.S.
Your rings are beautiful, thanks for sharing them!
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
It is very hard to tell with the stone just placed in the setting, but I think it would look more proportioned with a thinner width. I do like the setting, but it does look like it may compete with the center stone. It is definitely a matter of personal taste, but I think it's going to look great no matter what you choose. :appl:
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
23,748
Rockinruby|1452563988|3974523 said:
It is very hard to tell with the stone just placed in the setting, but I think it would look more proportioned with a thinner width. I do like the setting, but it does look like it may compete with the center stone. It is definitely a matter of personal taste, but I think it's going to look great no matter what you choose. :appl:
I am going to quote Rockinruby because this is pretty much what I was going to say.
 

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
569
Others have a lot more expertise than I do. I will say it point blank and mean it honestly. I personally am not one who admires thin bands in the least bit, no matter what size the center diamond is. When I looked at your picture I thought it was perfectly fine. I actually wouldn't want anything thinner. I am of a minority on this opinion, but that's okay. It is what it is. I asked for my shake to be made thicker during the custom job. The jeweler didnt think it was the way to go. I went with it anyway, and never could be pleased more. It is actually .5 mm thinner than requested. Point is, like what u like. I do value the advice of others (incase I am being wonky) and fully understand if you would take other opinions in to consideration.....again, I am a minority here so maybe I'm off the mark.

GL!
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
cinnamonstick|1452568891|3974554 said:
Others have a lot more expertise than I do. I will say it point blank and mean it honestly. I personally am not one who admires thin bands in the least bit, no matter what size the center diamond is. When I looked at your picture I thought it was perfectly fine. I actually wouldn't want anything thinner. I am of a minority on this opinion, but that's okay. It is what it is. I asked for my shake to be made thicker during the custom job. The jeweler didnt think it was the way to go. I went with it anyway, and never could be pleased more. It is actually .5 mm thinner than requested. Point is, like what u like. I do value the advice of others (incase I am being wonky) and fully understand if you would take other opinions in to consideration.....again, I am a minority here so maybe I'm off the mark.

GL!
Hi and thank you so much for your thoughts.....I too like thicker bands. I was shown several thinner ones that I did not like as I felt they were too "dainty." t'm thinking that I need to return to the store and give this setting a second look as well as try out some alternate bands that are less thick but not too "dainty" - hopefully I can find a happy medium!

I'm sorry to hear that your ring isn't as thick as you wanted it to be but good for you for knowing what you like and asking for it :)
 

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
569
Hi,
I always feel like I'm going to break or bend thinner bands. I think many people like thinner because it's very feminine and a smaller band width helps a diamond look larger. All of this may be true, but there is still personal taste. No way was I going to go with a thinner band and that was that. But that's just me. I'm a PITB

One thing that helped my current setting was to keep the band thinner up at the shoulder of the ring (top near the diamonds). The shank widens as it moves down the bottom of the shank (palm side). Therefore, I was able to keep some width in the ring. But, from the top view, it still looked dainty (appropriate for a trellis). It definately helped me find a compromise.

Did that make sense? Reverse taper? I'm not exactly sure what the name is called. That way I still think it would flatter a center stone (not "overpowering") and add some bulk down on the underside for a more substantial feeling on the finger. I've seen rings made like this already on the market. Let me see if I can find a picture.... Could be the win/ win?
 

swtmelissa

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 10, 2016
Messages
37
cinnamonstick, thank you so much for the pics! However, one thing I have just learned in my setting journey is that I prefer that the band width maintain the same thickness throughout it.
 

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
569
swtmelissa|1452655566|3975196 said:
cinnamonstick, thank you so much for the pics! However, one thing I have just learned in my setting journey is that I prefer that the band width maintain the same thickness throughout it.
I hear ya! We r the same. When it was suggested to me (reverse taper of sorts), I was not 100% there. Somehow, I found a compromise and rolled with it. Pleased in the end, but yes in general, I agree with your opinion.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top