shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the prong metal need to match the band metal?

mb80233

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at rose gold bands for an e-ring and some settings have matching rose gold prongs and others have white gold prongs. For the experts out there, is there one you feel looks much better than the other or just it come down to personal preference? Are there any pros or cons between the two?

Thanks!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI mb,
What color and shape is your center stone?

mb80233

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1473452857|4074660 said:
HI mb,
What color and shape is your center stone?

It will be a round diamond, probably around 1.25 carats. Unsure on the color yet, probably I or potentially down to J if it doesn't look too yellow.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! :wavey:
I would say it is largely a question of personal preference. For a colorless/near colorless diamond white metal prongs are nice because they show less than yellow gold prongs simply because white diamonds are.. white. Yellow gold prongs can reflect slightly within the diamond giving the illusion that the diamond is more yellow than it is. This is not really a huge issue with rb:s though so I think you are safe. I have had a rb solitaire with yellow gold prongs and it was lovely. I think I prefer white metal prongs though, but it is a tough choice.
Hope this helps...

eta, same with rose gold prongs... :loopy:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a rose band with unplated white gold basket holding the (Uncerted possible k color) diamond.

It is personal preference for me cuz I like to stack with mixed metals and usually am wearing both white and yellow or rose gold.

_5733.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would always set colorless and near colorless diamonds (D-J and even lower) in white metal prongs so they stay as invisible as possible. The shank can be any metal.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with DiamondSeeker if you want to make the stone look "white"
But not everyone does- so it depends on the specific stone and the goals IMO
For example, if you buy a J color, and the J is leaning brown as opposed to yellow, using pink prongs might just bring out a bit of rosiness in the stone

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like rose gold with diamonds with brown undertone, particularly antique diamonds, but I prefer them in bezels so the color is evenly reflected into the stone rather than 4 or 6 prongs that might visibly reflect in the stone.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't ever like the prongs to be a different color than the band. I don't find it makes much of a difference in the diamond color (but while I can usually see different colors in diamonds, lower colors don't bother me), but I find having the setting look coherent with all the same metal color (unless it is something where there are different metal colors throughout) does make a difference to how aesthetically pleasing I find the overall ring.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In the end, it seems it comes down to your intention for the look of the ring. If you want to de-emphasize any color of the diamond it may be best to go with white gold whereas the rose-gold prongs could enhance (or mask) color in the diamond based on your preferences.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results