shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the online diamond prize still negotiable?

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
If yes, in what circumstances that they will give you extra discount?
The reason I feel I need to negotiate is because usually their setting is limited and pricier than even local jeweler. A basic pave setting for platinum will be over $1300, while I can found local store at $750. And they won't set your diamond in a setting that was not purchased from they own inventory. Which kind of make me hesitate.
What do you guys think?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You usually get what you pay for. You pay for metal weight (the more expensive setting might be heavier) or better diamond quality (color and clarity, but also the quality of the melee). Make sure all things are equal, usually you will find that there is a reason one is more expensive.

JA prices are very good. Maybe the one you see locally was based on previous metal prices and is discounted because it is sitting in their inventory. JA makes their settings to order and at current metal prices. You can ask JA for a discount, but don't be surprised if you don't get one.

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1310799468|2970269 said:
You usually get what you pay for. You pay for metal weight (the more expensive setting might be heavier) or better diamond quality (color and clarity, but also the quality of the melee). Make sure all things are equal, usually you will find that there is a reason one is more expensive.

JA prices are very good. Maybe the one you see locally was based on previous metal prices and is discounted because it is sitting in their inventory. JA makes their settings to order and at current metal prices. You can ask JA for a discount, but don't be surprised if you don't get one.

Thanks. That's JA which I talk about. Nice setting is too expensive.
Any comments on the Blue nile setting? I will like to have some side diamonds, and the affordable yet still some workmanship is the "Sweetheart Gallery Pave Diamond Engagement Ring in Platinum (1/4 ct. tw.) , Stock #: 12918"
The review were great. I'm a bit worried about whether this setting is strong enough to hold the diamond.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My view from the bunker is that Pricescope's on-line vendors offer superior quality mountings which must be more costly than what many B&M retailers offer for sale. On-line vendors want to avoid returns and displeased customers so much that they just don't offer much in the way of cheaply made, or overly light weight mountings while a store that lets you see their samples in person can get you to agree on a very average quality mounting mostly due to price incentives. Since the public is not generally well versed on how to judge mounting quality, they are most often highly tempted by the PRICE and know very little about the QUALITY being offered. You can purchase high grade mountings at a B&M store many times, too. The price will ramp up accordingly as there is nothing free about quality.

You can't compare similar looking mountings by price alone. You are going to miss all the fine points of why one is costly and one is way less costly. Usually, there are good reasons for the difference. You may pay a premium for a great mounting, but in the long run, over years of daily wear, the reason becomes apparent. In the short run, items from the Dollar Store look cheap, but give them a week and you find out a lot about their real VALUE.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a bit hard to compare based on photographs as well. There's a whole art form to taking good pictures of jewelry and being good at that doesn't make them good as a setter, or visa versa. MOST of the cost of a typical mounting is in the labor to build and assemble the piece and the best craftsmen are rarely the cheapest. It's a balance. Not everyone is looking for the same things and some may be happy to pay a premium fo the finest artisan while others would rather work with the new kid on the block and get a discount. Both are right depending on where they're coming from.

In answer to your question in the headline; Sure, negotiate away. It never hurts to ask and I assure you you won't be the first. They won't be offended if you ask, but don't take offense yourself if they say no.

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results