Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!
I’m noticing that lab stones grade led by GIA generally command a premium over commensurate stones graded by IGI.
I’m so used to GIA being the benchmark.
Do you think this has changed when considering lab diamonds?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm good with either and if it was not for IGI the LGD/MMD market may have not taken off as quick.
Without competition from IGI, GIA would still be producing crap reports for LGD if they were at all.
I do not think a GIA report makes a lab diamond worth more.
However the market does not care what I think and the market sets prices even when its wrong..

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
I’m noticing that lab stones grade led by GIA generally command a premium over commensurate stones graded by IGI.
Do they come to you graded?
Meaning you are seeing the premium commanded from your supplier?

Maybe I’m just reading your question weirdly.
You state your experience with gia graded lab diamonds.
You state your belief in Gia as benchmark to back it up.
Then ask (consumers) if they feel it has changed?
I’m confused.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do they come to you graded?
Meaning you are seeing the premium commanded from your supplier?
Yes- the vast majority of lab diamonds on the market are already lab graded

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hypothetically
If a PS’er is comparing two identical stat lab grown ovals that one is each different lab reports being discussed, but they both equally perform very very well - and taking away any personal ‘tastes’ in choosing one over the other -
I don’t see the PS’er being swayed to pay more for the GIA stone.

Gen pop. Maybe.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
For me, the answer is twofold.
1. Yes, due to their reputation amongst consumers worldwide.
2. No, due to the areas they need to improve on (especially now that they own AGSL and don't have a good reason not to).

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think there was the perception of IGI being the less "important" lab but it seems to be disappearing. I'm so impressed with John Pollard and Avi Levy's podcasts that I can't help but see them in the ascendancy.
FWIW I sent my late mother's ring to IGI for a full report and I'm really happy with them.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of GIA for lab simply because their report is an abbreviated report (e.g. it doesn't report crown height) compared to earth mined.

It comes across as "lab ain't worth much, and our reports reflect that."

That said, IGI feels kinda all over the place. I have seen either (to my novice eye) accurate reports re: color and clarity, or the total opposite.

Clearly visible inclusions, obviously yellow stones that are given H, VS clarity etc when it shouldn't.

The GCAL stones I have seen looks to be the nicest but it also comes at a premium.

Those in the trade @Rockdiamond and @Karl_K , do suppliers send stones to GIA with the expectation that it will sell for more? Or is it something else?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those in the trade @Rockdiamond and @Karl_K , do suppliers send stones to GIA with the expectation that it will sell for more? Or is it something else?
The producers both the growers and the cutters want the most they can get as quickly as they can get it.
They really can not do both at the same time so they try and balance it.
Franky, I think they are experimenting to see what works best for lab diamonds.
If they can sell some categories of diamonds for more with a GIA report, they will compare it to selling it potentially quicker at a lower price.
In mined diamond it has always worked out that more $ but slower worked better for the mining companies leaving the cutters little choice.
My gut feeling that will not be the case with generic shapes lab diamonds.
Time will tell.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe I’m just reading your question weirdly.
You state your experience with gia graded lab diamonds.
You state your belief in Gia as benchmark to back it up.
Then ask (consumers) if they feel it has changed?
I’m confused.

My apologies- I didn't read this part carefully the first time....
Yes, my eons in the biz ingrained this "GIA superiority complex"
Although prices are constantly changing, GIA reports cost more than IGI ....and unless GIA needs to reduce prices to compete, that's probably going to have an effect going forward.

@Karl_K you hit the nail on the head- it's experimentation all over the place.
Based on a lot of what I see, the more reputable natural diamond companies that went into lab used GIA as a selling point to charge more.
I don't know if that will hold.....your gut feeling might be spot on.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results