shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the date of the GIA mean anything?

act1980

Shiny_Rock
I know that the date indicates the date the diamond was graded but why is a diamond still available when it was graded a year or so ago? The diamond I'm looking at ticks all the boxes so I'm not sure why it's not sold?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
It might have been sold ten times since the date of the certificate. You don’t get a new cert every time you sell a stone

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know that the date indicates the date the diamond was graded but why is a diamond still available when it was graded a year or so ago? The diamond I'm looking at ticks all the boxes so I'm not sure why it's not sold?

I was expecting to read that the certificate was from 1997!

A year is not an old certificate, as another poster noted, it could have been sold ten times, but, it could also be a premium stone at a premium price that no one wanted to buy on the wholesale side, but is perfect for a retail client who doesn't mind paying 5% to 10% more

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It might have been sold ten times since the date of the certificate. You don’t get a new cert every time you sell a stone
To avoid possible liability it is very common for a stone to be sent in for an updated grading report if it is sold and comes back.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A report is in general considered stale after 2 years and really should be in most cases updated.
There are a lot of reasons that a stone would not turn over quickly. For example not as popular of a combo for example an I-IF is going to sit longer than an 1-vs1 of similar make.
Or a dealer had it on memo and could not sell it, however memo is far less common that it used to be.
Or the price was just a little to high on the wholesale level.
Or....
Or...
There are dozens of possibilities.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results