shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the cost of diamonds increase over time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
I''m looking to buy a ring in the next 2 years and I''m curious to know if the prices will change much, or at all.

I''m thinking of a 1ct, RB, G, SI 1, and at present it seems like it''ll run me around 6 - 6.5K.

I guess what I''m thinking is that I''m paying off some debt right now and I''ll acrue about $1000 in interest buy the time it''s paid off, but I''d definitely be interested in buying a ring now and paying a little extra interest if it will be less than the price increase in buying the same diamond 2 years from now.

What do you think?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can have a look here to read about diamond pricing trends
2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Big-
Anyone who knew a 100% sure answer would never tell anyone else!
So anything you read is purely speculation.
Of course it is possible to use trends to guess.

based on trends, it''s likely your diamond will cost more in 2 years- but as far as how much....... do you play blackjack???

smappraisal

Rough_Rock
Hi
It''s difficult to project what diamond prices will be 2 years from now, but I can tell you that the cost of a particular category will come down to beauty, rarity and the demand on that particular category of diamond at the time of the purchase. The specs that you''ve mentioned can be beautiful, but not neccessarily rare(hard to find in the marketplace), so the cost may or may not be much different than it is now. Supply and demand will dictate much of the cost. Just remember, the more rare it is to have the occurrence of a particular color and clarity in a certain carat weight, the more expensive it will be. AGS and GIA certed stones will surely carry premiums as opposed to non certs. Superb cutting will cost more than lesser cut stones even though you may see the lesser cut stone as being attractive. Based on the dollar figure you''ve mentioned, you should be able to purchase a bright and beautiful stone when the time comes.
Good luck.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2005 1:20:47 PM
Author:BigToque

I''m looking to buy a ring in the next 2 years (1ct, RB, G, SI 1)

... I''d definitely be interested in buying a ring now and paying a little extra interest if it will be less than the price increase in buying the same diamond 2 years from now.
Sure they will - even in real terms. It has never been otherwise...

As more rounds get cut branding (those new cut grades), it doesn''t sound likely that their relative prices among diamonds would get less. Two years is not that much.

With this much time to spare, I''d be waiting for that perfect ring to turn out in a private sale. It would likely save you more than that 1k.

Lucky lady who will be wearing that ring
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pay your debts and save your money. Life will be much easier when the interest is flowing the other direction. When it comes time to buy a diamond, shop aggressively and buy what''s right for you at that time. You may be in a far different circumstance in 2 years.

Predicting the future is a task best suited for charlatans and fools.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like to second Neil''s excellent post.
That''s the best advice I''ve heard in a LONG time.

Ana makes a great point too.
If you can get neil''s post handled, be on the lookout for a private sale- a great way to save ( but difficult tofind)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results