shape
carat
color
clarity

Does steam cleaning turn white gold yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone
35.gif

So, I have been cleaning my engagement ring daily with a jewel jet since I got it a year ago, but recently I have noticed that the white gold now has a slight yellow tint to it. We were told by the jeweler who made it that he uses a white gold that never turns yellow
20.gif
So, now we are thinking about asking them to recreate the ring in platinum. Have I done the damage or is this something that just naturally happens to yellow gold? In my defense, I have an emerald cut stone that needs a daily cleaning...(okay, okay...I guess I can use soap and water!)

Whaddya think?

Ashley21

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert and will definitely accept any correction in this but I have never heard of white gold that will not turn yellow. The gold is usually plated with rhodium which wears off over time and is different for different people. The chemicals in everyone''s body react differently to metals so the time it takes to fade will differ depending on the person wearing it. After a while you can just have it replated and looking good as new. As far as the cleaner, I do not know if this could cause it to fade and would be interested in a more knowledgeable post than mine.

As for resetting it, I prefer the shinyness of white gold vs. platinum and would just have it replated as necessary, but if you don''t mind the patina look of platinum and the yellow from white gold will bother you in the future, then go for it! Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results