shape
carat
color
clarity

Does size really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so I thought I had a diamond picked out, hell, I''ve already bought the damn thing. My problem now is, I don''t believe it''s big enough. the diamond in question is .83, G, VS2 excellent cut. I''ve been looking around at bigger diamonds and no matter what the 3 c''s are. my price is going up. I believe I''ve already extended myself a bit with my budget. However, something keeps nagging me to at least get close to a carat. Thoughts?

E B

Ideal_Rock
.83 ct is a great size! Close enough to a carat.

Date: 4/21/2009 12:06:53 AM
Author:HornAround
My problem now is, I don''t believe it''s big enough.

If you don''t mind my asking, why? Been hanging around here too much?
2.gif

If your budget is stretched as it is, I''d stick with what you''ve got. It''s a very respectable size.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:23:52 AM
Author: EBree
.83 ct is a great size! Close enough to a carat.

My problem now is, I don''t believe it''s big enough.

If you don''t mind my asking, why? Been hanging around here too much?
2.gif

If your budget is stretched as it is, I''d stick with what you''ve got. It''s a very respectable size.

I love this site, lol. I guess it''s just buyers remorse. My girlfriend is not materialistic but I believe she deserves the best I can afford.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, size doesn't matter. Quality matters, and it sounds like quality is what you bought.

.83, G, VS2 excellent cut is hardly frozen spit. Listen, I think .83 is a big diamond. To me, that would qualify as "big." I truly wouldn't worry, if I were you, that it's not "1 ct." That's a cultural thing, one that should be discarded.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so I shouldn''t worry about that huge rock her sister already has on her finger? I know it shouldn''t matter but I know damn well they are going to compare. I"m not trying to keep up with the Jones''s here but I can''t help but think about it.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
You have chosen a wonderful quality diamond. I''ll bet she will be thrilled with the size. Congratulations!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:30:25 AM
Author: HornAround
Ok, so I shouldn''t worry about that huge rock her sister already has on her finger?
No, you shouldn''t. And I mean that honestly.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I thought I had a diamond picked out, hell, I''ve already bought the damn thing. My problem now is, I don''t believe it''s big enough. the diamond in question is .83, G, VS2 excellent cut. I''ve been looking around at bigger diamonds and no matter what the 3 c''s are. my price is going up. I believe I''ve already extended myself a bit with my budget. However, something keeps nagging me to at least get close to a carat. Thoughts?
Don''t beat yourself up. You found a great stone, one within your budget. I am sure she will be thrilled with it.
2.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Here's an experiment that might help put your mind at ease. Look up how many mm in diameter a .83 ct diamond is (if this is a RB). Now hold that figure in your mind and compare it to standard ring sizes: 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm. That diamond is bigger than most rings are wide! It's plenty big!

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
You guys are great. I know money is not what she fell in love with me for but I do believe she's worth every penny I spend on her. I think what makes the engagement ring great is I pieced the ring together myself. I went out to different places to find the perfect ring for her and I truly believe I found something unique. It cost half of what the diamond cost so that's why the budget on the .83 couldn't go much higher.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:59:36 AM
You guys are great. I know money is not what she fell in love with me for but I do believe she's worth every penny I spend on her. I think what makes the engagement ring great is I pieced the ring together myself. I went out to different places to find the perfect ring for her and I truly believe I found something unique. It cost half of what the diamond cost so that's why the budget on the .83 couldn't go much higher.
No you are a great guy. You have put such thought time and effort into the stone and the ring. She's a lucky gal. Now please come back with hand pics once you propose. I am sure she'll be thrilled!!!
36.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
judging by the title of this thread i thought it wasn''t diamond related.
9.gif

btw; i love the G VS2 combo.
36.gif

LovesKatie

Rough_Rock
I''m shopping for an e-ring diamond, and I want it to be a good size, too. But my thinking is that I don''t need to give her the biggest diamond. Just the prettiest. If she compares that .83 to her sister''s stone and it''s more beautiful, does it really matter if it''s a hair smaller? Which sister is going to be the envious one? The one with the uglier stone? I don''t think so.

BTW, a .83 ideal cut is about 6.05mm, whereas a 1ct is around 6.5mm. Not much difference there.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I think that''s a fantastic size! That''s going to be one lucky girl!

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:20:13 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
23.gif
judging by the title of this thread i thought it wasn't diamond related.
9.gif

36.gif

Knew it would get some hits with that title.......
2.gif

I for some reason am too in love with the G VS2 combo. My question is the G grade worth $400 bucks more than the H? I had to decide between the two and went with the G. Thoughts?

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:32:51 AM
Author: LovesKatie
I''m shopping for an e-ring diamond, and I want it to be a good size, too. But my thinking is that I don''t need to give her the biggest diamond. Just the prettiest. If she compares that .83 to her sister''s stone and it''s more beautiful, does it really matter if it''s a hair smaller? Which sister is going to be the envious one? The one with the uglier stone? I don''t think so.

BTW, a .83 ideal cut is about 6.05mm, whereas a 1ct is around 6.5mm. Not much difference there.

That''s the thing, the stone might be of even better quality...........

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
1.gif
No, what Kaleigh said. Honest people making honest deals is great.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:50:04 AM
I for some reason am too in love with the G VS2 combo. My question is the G grade worth $400 bucks more than the H? I had to decide between the two and went with the G. Thoughts?
Absolutely right. If I wanted a "white" diamond, G is exactly what I would get. I wouldn''t pay for D, E, or F, nor would I want H. G VS2 is solid. Please ask her to post her ring when she gets it! I''d like to see it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 1:20:13 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
23.gif
judging by the title of this thread i thought it wasn't diamond related.
9.gif

36.gif
* smacks dancingfire*
25.gif

I don't think you need to worry, that is a great size diamond!

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:05:18 AM
Author: Imdanny
Date: 4/21/2009 1:50:04 AM

Absolutely right. If I wanted a ''white'' diamond, G is exactly what I would get. I wouldn''t pay for D, E, or F, nor would I want H. G VS2 is solid. Please ask her to post her ring when she gets it! I''d like to see it!

Awesome! I still find myself looking for different diamonds and it''s driving me insane. The damn thing needs to get here already so I can get it mounted and be done with it! I will most definitely post a pic of it when it gets mounted. The tough part will be showing it on her finger as I plan to propose 3 months from now. I don''t know how I''m going to hold off for that long.....
32.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 3:48:12 AM
The tough part will be showing it on her finger as I plan to propose 3 months from now. I don''t know how I''m going to hold off for that long.....
32.gif
I am betting no, you probably won''t be able to hold off for 3 mth if you got a beautiful stone and setting... :razz:

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Just chimming in to say I have a G VS2 and I LOVE it! It looks so white, even more so when I actually clean it
3.gif
Great choice! Congrats on your upcoming engagement

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
As LovesKatie pointed out the face-up size if diamonds can vary. For example my 0.98 faces up small and looks like a .85... and the difference is so minimal. Enjoy your stone! I''m sure your girlfriend will!! (especially once you tell her about how you wanted to get her such a great quality)

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond sounds beautiful and I''m sure she will love it. I think it''s wonderful that you have put so much thought into your purchase and thats what matters. Have you picked out a setting yet?
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you''ve put a lot of thought into it and chosen a beautiful stone! Don''t worry about the size - and a .83 is nothing to sneeze at! I have a .75 and find in day to day situations that it''s often the biggest rock in the room. Pricescope can warp your sense of reality, LOL.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond sounds BEAUTIFUL.

And most people''s diamonds are not as big as that. If it even matters. Seriously. Even here on Pricescope. The biggest thread here is for diamonds under 1 carat, and that doesn''t mean the .90''s either--many are 1/3, 1/2 and look wonderful.

If I was your fiancee, I wouldn''t care about what my sister got, I would be so happy that you put so much thought and got me something so pretty (G VS, wow) AND kept in the budget, especially in this current economy. I learned long ago not to look at what other people have. They might be in debt. They might have inherited it. They may have different priorities (many of the people with really big diamonds live in places like Manhattan where you don''t have a mortgage and don''t have to have a car). Or they might just have more money than I do, period, which is fine, I''m happy with what I have.

I''m sure she''s happy with such a wonderful guy.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond sounds wonderful! I have a .82 G VS2 and I love it and think it''s a great size. With the thought and effort you put into this ring she can''t help but love it.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
.83 G VS2 is excellent! But what size is her finger? A .83 on size 5 or smaller fingers can look HUGE! Obviously, on size 8 fingers, the diamond won''t appear as big.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond sounds gorgeous! I can''t wait to see it - please post pics once it''s set! Congrats on your upcoming engagement - your girlfriend is going to love it!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Now the big question is - how are you going to set that beauty?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results