shape
carat
color
clarity

Does size really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 8:27:19 AM
Author: geckodani
It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it and chosen a beautiful stone! Don't worry about the size - and a .83 is nothing to sneeze at! I have a .75 and find in day to day situations that it's often the biggest rock in the room. Pricescope can warp your sense of reality, LOL.
I think someone posted a study that said the average engagement ring in the US is .38. I can't remember the details now, but I'd like to read that link again.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
.83 it''s a great size, I''m sure she will love it. Even tought i live in NYC and supposed to be the city with the biggests rocks, that .83 will be bigger that a lot of people I know. So I would not worry at all. I''m sure the ring will look beautiful and she will love it
9.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
.83 is a great size! And even more than for the ring, she''s going to be so grateful for the time and effort you put into the process. You sound like a great guy.

As for comparing to her sister''s ring - time and time again I''ve seen smaller, better quality diamonds in pretty settings get more attention than large stones. Plus, you and your GF are going to have different priorities than her sister for plenty of things in life...You''ll make yourself sick insisting you have the same car, house, etc....Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you have chosen a gorgeous diamond. Don''t second-guess yourself. Best wishes for a wonderful adventure!

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
I''m overwhelmed by all the responses. This is truly a great community and I look to stay on these boards even after the ring purchase. I don''t know what it is but these diamonds can be made for fascinating discussion. Give me a few as I will be replying to a lot of these responses.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 7:08:57 AM
Author: MMT
Your diamond sounds beautiful and I''m sure she will love it. I think it''s wonderful that you have put so much thought into your purchase and thats what matters. Have you picked out a setting yet?
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

The setting is the first thing I picked out. It''s 6 prong head with 4 baguettes on the outer edge with one stone on each side in between the baguettes and head. Under the head is a cluster of 10 diamonds. The total ct weight is .49 and the colors range from F-G and the clarity from VS1-VS2. I''m quite nervous to see how it''s going to look with the diamond I ordered.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it and chosen a beautiful stone! Don't worry about the size - and a .83 is nothing to sneeze at! I have a .75 and find in day to day situations that it's often the biggest rock in the room. Pricescope can warp your sense of reality, LOL.

Tell me about it, I see threads asking about 4.49 F VS1's! I should be used to it though because I frequent automotive forums and see this kind of thing all the time.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 8:53:36 AM
Author: Black Jade
The diamond sounds BEAUTIFUL.

If I was your fiancee, I wouldn''t care about what my sister got, I would be so happy that you put so much thought and got me something so pretty (G VS, wow) AND kept in the budget, especially in this current economy. I learned long ago not to look at what other people have. They might be in debt. They might have inherited it. They may have different priorities (many of the people with really big diamonds live in places like Manhattan where you don''t have a mortgage and don''t have to have a car). Or they might just have more money than I do, period, which is fine, I''m happy with what I have.

I''m sure she''s happy with such a wonderful guy.

Thank you for the kind words. It''s funny you mention the economy because I made it a point not to finance the ring due to the economic downfall and unforeseeable future. We will never be money rich (future firefighter and teacher) but I believe we will be life rich. Besides, all the money I''m saving now is going to be used for the wedding!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:23:52 AM
Author: EBree
.83 ct is a great size! Close enough to a carat.

If you don''t mind my asking, why? Been hanging around here too much?
2.gif

If your budget is stretched as it is, I''d stick with what you''ve got. It''s a very respectable size.
I''ll be completely honest. I had a buyer''s remorse after all the time spent looking at the gorgeous stones showcased by the PS''ers. When you look at the SMTR Eye candy thread... quite a number of them are in the 1-2 carat range. The cushion I got for my GF is a mere 0.42 tho the dimensions of 5.40mm x 4.10 is closer to that of a 2/3 carat. I know how HornAround feels cuz I felt the exact same thing.

Well, HornAround, when you finally get that 0.83 G/VS2, take a walk with it and photograph it in various light conditions. I did just that recently with my ring and was very pleased with the optics and beauty. The size has stopped bothering me cuz the first thing anyone wd notice of a well cut diamond is its performance. Size only comes into play if the optics are below par.

One more thing, bigger is not always better. Big carat diamonds can look oversized on a petite finger.

Conflagration

Rough_Rock
Like others have said, don''t worry about .83 being too small. I posted about a .89 I was interested in and decided to buy it. It just arrived within the last hour and it looks amazing and is plenty big enough. Best of luck

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Great size. Sounds like you''ve put a lot of thought into it. Well done! Now good luck with your proposal!!!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:12:27 AM
Author: HornAround

Your diamond sounds beautiful and I''m sure she will love it. I think it''s wonderful that you have put so much thought into your purchase and thats what matters. Have you picked out a setting yet?
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

The setting is the first thing I picked out. It''s 6 prong head with 4 baguettes on the outer edge with one stone on each side in between the baguettes and head. Under the head is a cluster of 10 diamonds. The total ct weight is .49 and the colors range from F-G and the clarity from VS1-VS2. I''m quite nervous to see how it''s going to look with the diamond I ordered.
Sounds beautiful, please post some pictures when you get it
35.gif

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:12:24 PM
Date: 4/21/2009 11:12:27 AM

35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Sounds beautiful, please post some pictures when you get it
35.gif

Can''t wait to hear people''s replies! Quick question, is the 6 prong setting a reliable one? The diamond is going to sit pretty high so I''m sure it''s going to bump things. The place I bought band from says they will guarantee the setting for one year.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
6 prongs is reliable, but only a year?

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:58:22 AM
Author: Imdanny

It sounds like you''ve put a lot of thought into it and chosen a beautiful stone! Don''t worry about the size - and a .83 is nothing to sneeze at! I have a .75 and find in day to day situations that it''s often the biggest rock in the room. Pricescope can warp your sense of reality, LOL.
I think someone posted a study that said the average engagement ring in the US is .38. I can''t remember the details now, but I''d like to read that link again.
Here is the article that I read which shows the .38 average. It''s from March 8, 2008 - http://ezinearticles.com/?Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Size---What-Is-The-Average-Carat-Weight-of-a-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-2008&id=1034380

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock
Also, to mimic everyone else, your diamond sounds beautiful! .83 is a great size! And the G, VS2, excellent cut is definitely a winning combo
36.gif

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:48:18 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
6 prongs is reliable, but only a year?

I''m guessing it''s because I didn''t buy the diamond from them?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did fabulous and put a lot of thought and love into your decision. She will be the happiest girl alive!

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:04:12 AM
Author: Inanna
.83 G VS2 is excellent! But what size is her finger? A .83 on size 5 or smaller fingers can look HUGE! Obviously, on size 8 fingers, the diamond won''t appear as big.

Her finger size is 6.5 (I hope). She has long fingers so I wonder if that will play into the overall look.

Mary K

Rough_Rock
My honey kept looking for 1 ct rings for me because that''s what my best friend told him he had to get me (at least 1 ct or larger). We ended up with a 0.77 RB that is much better in quality and cut that was in our price range. Making the jump to similar quality in a 1 ct was out of our budget. I couldn''t be happier with my ring and the few people who have asked about the size thought it was 1 ct because of the setting its in.

I''m pretty positive that your gf will be more than happy with the ring you give her and will appreciate the time and effort you put into selecting it.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think your stone sounds lovely! Size is not the most important thing(to most), and even if it was... .8 cts is nothing to thumb your nose at!!

wapila1

Rough_Rock
A lovely diamond ring and a very thoughtful boyfriend -- that''s a winning combo any girl would love to say yes to!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 4:31:12 PM

.83 G VS2 is excellent! But what size is her finger? A .83 on size 5 or smaller fingers can look HUGE! Obviously, on size 8 fingers, the diamond won''t appear as big.

Her finger size is 6.5 (I hope). She has long fingers so I wonder if that will play into the overall look.
a .83 will still look rockin on a 6.5.

Here''s a thread with some pics of my .75 on a 6.25 finger: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-adwar-bezel-band-has-arrived.100955/

Here''s Shimmer''s .83 on a 5.25 finger, but it''ll still give you an idea of the size: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-wf-legato-sleek-line-ering-and-custom-wedding-band.89707/

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 8:33:49 AM

Date: 4/21/2009 4:31:12 PM

a .83 will still look rockin on a 6.5.

Here''s a thread with some pics of my .75 on a 6.25 finger: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-adwar-bezel-band-has-arrived.100955/

Here''s Shimmer''s .83 on a 5.25 finger, but it''ll still give you an idea of the size: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-wf-legato-sleek-line-ering-and-custom-wedding-band.89707/
HornAround, your stone sounds BEAUTIFUL and the setting just the same! Can''t wait to see pictures! Good luck with everything!

geckodani, thank you for posting those links. It really helped me with a few things. I don''t mean to take away from original poster''s question, but do you mind me asking how wide your ering band is?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is perfect, I had a .40 princess cut when I first got married, and face up it is smaller than the .40 RB so I think yours sounds perfect and plenty big for her. and as time and financial permits, you can always upgrade later... I waited 5 years for my upgrade. BTW congrats

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 1:41:12 PM
Author: mirre

HornAround, your stone sounds BEAUTIFUL and the setting just the same! Can''t wait to see pictures! Good luck with everything!

geckodani, thank you for posting those links. It really helped me with a few things. I don''t mean to take away from original poster''s question, but do you mind me asking how wide your ering band is?
Hi mirre - my engagement ring is 2.5mm wide and the wedding band is 2.3mm. The ering has a knife edge as well.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results