shape
carat
color
clarity

Does size matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NLUV

Rough_Rock
I''ve decided on a 1-carat, but after reading several posts I''m a bit confused regarding the dimensions. I understand that the ideal size is 1.5 and would like to know what is the expectable variances. Will a smaller dimension make a 1-carat look smaller than it is and if so how small can I go to maintain the correct appearance?

Thans,
NLUV

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi NLUV!
wavey.gif

Are you asking about diameter and depth dimensions? If that's the case, then dimensions have a big impact on the visual size appearance of a diamond.

I looked at a .81 carat UnCerted diamond in our local B&M. It measured approx 5.85 mm in diameter. At a local B&M diamond broker, I looked at a 1.06 carat Maul chain store diamond (trade-in) that also averaged 5.85 mm in diameter. I bought a .766 carat A Cut Above H&A from White Flash that measures 6 mm in diameter.

My .766 carat looks bigger than either of the other 2 diamonds. Why? Depth. When a diamond is cut too deep, the diameter is smaller. You basically pay for diamond weight that no one sees.

Hope that is what you were asking for.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dimensions and diameter have a huge part to play. A well cut 1c stone will have a diameter of around 6.5mm and 4mm depth. But if you have a maul 1c stone, you may be looking at 6.20mm and a depth of around 4.5mm. That means that alot of the ctw you are paying for to reach that 1ctw mark is lost in the depth of the stone as opposed to being seen in the top diameter portion. That is why the depth is steeper and the top is smaller.

Don't sacrifice any ctw in the depth of the stone. If you want maximum look, you can go for a larger spread, larger diameter stone with shallower depth. These are harder to find and are not considered ideal, but you do get a larger face up stone and less weight carried in the bottom, so if you need maximize budget, that may be an option.

Good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, but do you mean you've heard that 1.5 is the ideal size to give a woman? If so, that's certainly not the case. 1 carat is still the dream of many, but depending on the individual smaller or larger (or much smaller or much larger) may actually be the ideal size. 1.5 is pretty substantial but there is certainly no such thing as an ideal size.

chousholder

Rough_Rock
i wonder what the AVERAGE size diamond the average woman recieves. i got a 1/2 carat, and even though i dont think its HUGE, it suffices for my lifestyle and it shines like crazy!!! anyone out there think that having under 1 carat is ok?

reena

Ideal_Rock
of course it's ok! and if you look around this board a little, you'll see 2 or 3 current polls dedicated to this very topic.

1.gif

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
think about what you said "will smaller dimensons make it look smaller". Daaahhhh. If this is not a surprize, take her out and find the stone she wants. Don't worry about everything being perfect. If everything was perfect, everybody would have a perfect stone, which is what we had in the 50's.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results