shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Size Matter??? Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
Ok, obviously it matters, but I am talkign what I think to be a small difference. If looking at two different stones (not side by side) one after another-

Do you think you woudl be able to tell the differnce between a

1. 7.11 x 5.11 x 3.37 emerald cut stone AND

2. 7.51 x 5.5 x 3.43 emerald cut stone?

And one final question, I know with round stones the cut makes a difference in the "appearance" of size? Does this ring true with emerals? (pun intended)

Thanks guys!

Oh and if you are a lover fo emerald ladies (men too), which would you rather have? THANKS AGAIN ALL!

Here are the links to the two different stones:

Number 1 - http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=btntext_select&elem=img&pid=LD01083482&filter_id=0

AND

Number 2 - http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD01055911&keyword_search_value=LD01055911

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. 7.11 x 5.11 x 3.37 emerald cut stone AND
2. 7.51 x 5.5 x 3.43 emerald cut stone?

Side by side: YES!
If not, then most likely NO.

And one final question, I know with round stones the cut makes a difference in the 'appearance' of size? Does this ring true with emerals? (pun intended)
I think it does to a certain degree but maybe not as obvious as a RB. A brighter livelier stone will appear larger whereas a dull "darker" stone will appear smaller.

Oh and if you are a lover fo emerald ladies (men too), which would you rather have? THANKS AGAIN ALL!
I'll have to go look.
9.gif
Okay, I'm back. Stone #2 does not have any pictures to gauge how the steps look. Based upon not knowing anything about stone #2 other than basic table and depth info, my choice will be stone #1. At least stone #1 has a picture (steps look all right) and crown height information.

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono. You are a great poster here. Anyone else care to chime in?

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I thought stone #1 looked great when I looked at it. I don''t really care for emerald cut they don''t have a lot of sparkle compared to a round but I would be very happy with that!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
stone 1 has the wrong gcal cert attached too it so the pictures arent the right stone.
Id say neither and go with a better vendor that takes pics.

Edit: on further review someones sarin machine is off and it is spose too be the same stone.
*shrug*

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good catch, Storm!
36.gif

Any vendor can make a simple mistake like this. I would call BN to clarify this, Mark.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats weird is it says the stone is inscribed with the right gia report number.
Something is weird someplace...

edit: sorry Chrono didn't mean to quote ya, hit the wrong button outa habit,,,

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
WOW-that was a great catch strmrdr. How does that make any sense then if it has the right inscription?! I email them an dhopefully they will get back to me soon with an answer and I will post it under this thread for anyone who is curious. In the meantime, can anyone here figure this darn thing out?!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2007 4:30:32 PM
Author: Mark4780
WOW-that was a great catch strmrdr. How does that make any sense then if it has the right inscription?! I email them an dhopefully they will get back to me soon with an answer and I will post it under this thread for anyone who is curious. In the meantime, can anyone here figure this darn thing out?!
my guess is that either GIA''s or GCAL''s sarin is off or they got some numbers swaped with another stone.
the point remains you need some good pictures to decide and who knows whats up with that mess.

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
Strmrdr, any suggestions? I am tno familiar with many of the vendors you guys seem to liek on this site. Thank you coudl find me a nice similar emerald for around the same price (between 5-6k). You seem pretty knowledgeable about all of this. Thanks.

Of course anyone that wants to chime in would be greatly apprecriated!

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
Here is the response I got from BlueNile:

"Thank you for the inquiry.
I have some good news for you. The GIA and the GCAL are both correct. It is
common to have a ever so slight discrepancy in measurements like this as two
laboratory machines are not calibrated perfectly alike. The information on both
reports match each other otherwise. I can place the diamond on hold for you
again for an additional 48 hours. Please let me know if you need further
assistance."
Best regards,| Diamond & Jewelry Consultant
Blue Nile, Inc. | T 800.242.2728
[email protected] http://www.bluenile.com

I redacted the name of the individual who responded because I would have felt bad posting it. What do you guys make of this?

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have any input on the two stones and/or the discrepency an dBN''s response?

esumsea

Shiny_Rock
Mark, if you still have questions on the EC cut and proportion, check out my thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-think-i-am-ready-to-buy-my-first-engagement-ring-let-me-know-if-i-really-am-my-diamond-specs.68668/
It has some info on that subject. I hope it helps. Good luck on your purchase!
Regards,
Mario

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 12:23:14 PM
Author: Mark4780
Anyone else have any input on the two stones and/or the discrepency an dBN''s response?
Is there excuse possible, yes.
Is it reasonable. so-so
The pics look good so its really up too you and what your comfortable with.
Are you having it appraised?

Mark4780

Rough_Rock
So I kind of went against people''s advice and went for stone number 2 (see above) as it was bigge r- .5mm length and .5mm width and I must say IT IS BEAUTIFUL. WOW. I am very, very pleased with the quality of the stone and the process with BlueNile. I promise to post pics as soon as I get some. Thank you all so much for all your help. This site really made the process alot easier!

Freakazoid

Rough_Rock
Good decision imo, I was actually about to comment that the second stone would definitely have a noticeable size difference, you''re looking at a 15% increase in spread. Imo, at least, that''s pretty darn noticeable!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results