shape
carat
color
clarity

Does position of inclusion affect clarity grade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JuanCierva

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I just ordered a diamond (loose stone) from one of the sponsor vendors here, and am biting my nails off in nervousness.

First of all, the spec''s:
Round brilliant
6.78 * 6.80 * 4.16 mm
Cut grade: AGS excellent 1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Weight: 1.145 ct.

Depth 61.3%
Table 55%
Crown 34.6 deg.
Pavilion 41.0 deg.
Culet pointed (I entered 0% into HCA)

Holloway Cut Advisor says:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.8 - Excellent - within TIC range

Now, the questions:

1) On the AGS certificate, scanned and downloaded from vendor, the only inclusion shown is a pin-point on the table. I suspect that once I receive the real certificate, I will see more inclusions that do not appear on the scanned page, because otherwise this stone should be in the VS range at least (?). Given the fact that the pin-point is on the table (least desirable position), was this factor alone sufficient to bring the clarity down to SI1?

2) The certificate says the girdle had been inscribed "H&A AGSL #######". Can I expect the "hearts and arrows" phenomenon from this stone, even though the vendor did not advertise it as H&A?

3) Price under $6300; was this a fair deal?

Thanks for all feedback!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The stone is very nicely proportioned.
1. Yes, position of inclusions affects a lot the clarity grade. But don't judge the clarity from a simple plot. A magnified picture is much better. Often inclusions on reports --especially when scanned look faded. It's possible that if your stone have had that inclusion on the said, it would have been a VS 2, but no-one can tell you without first seeing it. It depends on color, brightness, visibility and dimensions.
2. I wouldn't expect a perfect pattern. Probably it exibits a patter worth of being mentioned, but if the cert says inscribed AGSL H&A xxxxxxxx, that doesn't mean that it's H&A. It sounds incredible, but it's the truth.
3. Yes, the price is fair. I found a few comparable stones at $5.6-6.6K.
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 6/30/2003 6:50:51 PM JuanCierva wrote:
2) The certificate says the girdle had been inscribed "H&A AGSL #######". Can I expect the "hearts and arrows" phenomenon from this stone, even though the vendor did not advertise it as H&A?

----------------

What that means is that someone took a laser inscription machine and burned "H&A AGSL ###" on the girdle. It means nothing else. There are currently no rules about laser inscriptions, though I suspect the FTC is going to crack down on this eventually. There are some vendors out there who are inscribing "H&A" on non-ideal stones simply to deceive people. You have an H&A when, and only when, you see an H&A pattern in a viewer. The inscription means zilch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results