shape
carat
color
clarity

Does polishing a gold ring remove small dents?

Bxxd

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I was wondering if polishing a gold ring removes small dents?

I have a small dent on my ring and it is bothering me. Small scratches I know will happen due to wear.

Thanks

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you mean taking it into the jewler to get polished i assume ? =)2

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is a machinist and I asked him. He also has a little jewelry making hobby in our basement (just makes stuff for himself and sometimes me).

He says no, polishing will not remove dents-- only small scratches. You'd have to use an abrasive to get out the dent but that would wear down the ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think we need a pictute
perhaps it isn't as bad as you think ? =)2

Bxxd

Rough_Rock
My husband is a machinist and I asked him. He also has a little jewelry making hobby in our basement (just makes stuff for himself and sometimes me).

He says no, polishing will not remove dents-- only small scratches. You'd have to use an abrasive to get out the dent but that would wear down the ring.

Thanks for the information

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rings will tend to acquire dings, scratches etc. from normal wear. At some point one has to decide whether it's too much or whether one can live with it.

My own attitude is that if I decide not to mind it, then it doesn't matter. This goes for jewelry but also for other things that may be less than ideal. One's tolerance for these imperfections is so individual. After 30 years of marriage a lot of things in our home are in less than ideal condition, but still perfectly serviceable. Tolerance does have the advantage of saving us money! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results