shape
carat
color
clarity

does mystic topaz wear out easily?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snuapril01

Rough_Rock
hello, every one. I am very interested in getting one of those mercury mist mystic topaz jewelry. and as far as I know they are all coated with some sort of film around the stone.
so, i was wondering if i buy the stone and bring it to a jeweler with the setting i want, would they refuse to work on it? thinking, they don;t want to be responsible for possible scratches during the setting process?
there are some already made mystic topaz jewelry but I want a different design

and would it be a short life time jewelry, because of the coating factor?
i mean, how durable is these coating layer? is it really easy to get scratches?
would it be peeling off on its own once i get one scratch?

they just look so pretty to me and they are very affordable.
any opinions?

mystic mercury mist topaz.jpg

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
1. Depends on the jeweler. I'm willing to work with coated topaz, some others would probably decline. I would ask your jeweler before you buy the stone just to be sure.

2. The lifetime is short. Think of the coating like plating on metal - it's thin and easily abraded. If you have earrings or a pendant and take very good care of them, don't let them rub in storage, never clean except in soap and water, they should last a while. As a ring or a bracelet, it's going to degrade right away.

3. It shouldn't peel (again, think of it more like a metal plating), but will start getting a worn, chipped look. You'll see the coating wear off along the facet junctions first, along with anywhere you happen to strike the stone or rub it a lot.

My advice? If you like the look, buy and wear it without guilt. They are very pretty. BUT, don't spend much. No custom settings, and I would pick a silver setting unless you have a gold one your jeweler thinks can be re-set with another stone later. They have more of a costume jewelry lifespan, so spend accordingly. Earrings will last the longest because they take the least wear.

snuapril01

Rough_Rock
thank you for the reply~!
19.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I velieve some stones are coated only on the pavillion (the bottom of the stone), which increases durability somewhat.

If you like them and your jeweller is willing to set them, why not get the piece? When it does look worn, you can replace the stone because, as you say, they are quite cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results