shape
carat
color
clarity

Does my diamond have a blue nuance or is it just my camera? BONUS: help me out with setting issue!

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I have a ring with an oval LGD that I love. The diamond performs extremely well, but I have a question for you all just because I’m a research addict. In videos in certain lighting the stone can look blueish/greyish and I’m wondering if this could be an undisclosed blue nuance or if it’s just my phone camera being unable to capture it properly. My eyes do not see the same thing as my camera sees. I’m also more accustomed to H color stones prior to this F color oval, which may make me perceive the whiteness to be more cool toned?

Specs:
Carat: 3,01
Color: F (IGI)
Clarity: VS2
Excellent polish and symmetry
HPHT type II, no nuance noted

Here is the 360 which includes a link to the report: http://view.gem360.in/gem360/2505211228-GG-14/gem360-2505211228-GG-14.html

Here is an imgur link for a couple of videos in different lighting so you may see what I mean:
My second issue is a much more superficial one, but I’d love your input on it as well! Recently I’ve been contemplating swapping the center stone in the three stone for a green emerald or maybe a teal sapphire, and resetting the oval diamond into a solitaire setting. I’ve been struggling to find a wedding band that doesn’t get totally overwhelmed by the three stone ring, while also being comfortable for daily wear. But I’m completely torn on which style combination to go for! Subjective input is very welcome here, as well as practical advice.

Option 1: Resetting into a platinum solitaire, similar to this one (maybe more knife’s edge band). Paired with a 2,5-3mm u-prong pavé eternity band.

Option 2: Resetting into a platinum u-prong pavé solitaire, similar to this one and pairing it with a plain yellow gold band. Perhaps adding an eternity band in the future?

Option 3: Resetting into a two tone yellow gold and platinum solitaire, similar to this one and pairing it with a shared prong eternity band similar to what it’s paired with in the video.

Option 4: keep ring as is and live with the fact that it will overpower the wedding band!

Thanks in advance all!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it certainly does have the distinctive slight blue tint of a Type IIb diamond.

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
Yes, it certainly does have the distinctive slight blue tint of a Type IIb diamond.

Thanks! Do you have any nifty explanation as to why it only really shows up on my phone camera but not otherwise? I find the colors on my camera get quite distorted since it looks clear and white in real life

ETA: it also has no phosphorescence, is that a common occurence is there’s boron in the crystal that it may not phosporesce?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Do you have any nifty explanation as to why it only really shows up on my phone camera but not otherwise? I find the colors on my camera get quite distorted since it looks clear and white in real life

ETA: it also has no phosphorescence, is that a common occurence is there’s boron in the crystal that it may not phosporesce?

It has a nice crisp appearance!
The phosphorescence may have to be tested with equipment that can emits both long wave and short wave UV. The usual color would be a reddish to reddish-orange glow, which could be anywhere from extremely faint to quite obvious.

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
It has a nice crisp appearance!
The phosphorescence may have to be tested with equipment that can emits both long wave and short wave UV. The usual color would be a reddish to reddish-orange glow, which could be anywhere from extremely faint to quite obvious.

It is very crisp, so I’ve had no issues with it when even though it can be an issue when there’s blue tints. I’ve tried to test it myself with UV light and a dark room, and can’t see any orange glow. But the blue tint is very slight in comparison to a lot of the other stones I’ve seen with a blue nuance, so perhaps that’s why?

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I somewhat recently had an M color mined RB set into a 3 stone with K trillion brilliant side stones. This M color diamond, which I had worn in a yellow gold solitaire for several years, turned ‘blue’ when I set it in the 3 stone. Of course, it wasn’t actually blue. It had no blue nuance, it was a mined GIA graded stone. It was the contrast. Matching color in side stones is tricky. I’ll attach a few photos so you can see what I mean. (Please excuse the appearance, the diamonds were dirty)

Not saying yours doesn’t have blue nuance. But maybe it doesn’t. F75ACE0B-04F1-4B46-8372-070B8E192E4A.jpeg

Attachments

• A3CD4A37-BD73-4ECE-ACE4-823F557F6C52.jpeg
    A3CD4A37-BD73-4ECE-ACE4-823F557F6C52.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 129

hyperlactemiac

Rough_Rock
I somewhat recently had an M color mined RB set into a 3 stone with K trillion brilliant side stones. This M color diamond, which I had worn in a yellow gold solitaire for several years, turned ‘blue’ when I set it in the 3 stone. Of course, it wasn’t actually blue. It had no blue nuance, it was a mined GIA graded stone. It was the contrast. Matching color in side stones is tricky. I’ll attach a few photos so you can see what I mean. (Please excuse the appearance, the diamonds were dirty)

Not saying yours doesn’t have blue nuance. But maybe it doesn’t. F75ACE0B-04F1-4B46-8372-070B8E192E4A.jpeg

Wow, that’s very interesting to see! I think the side stones definitely are what makes the contrast noticeable. It is part of why I am debating resetting it. Every video I saw of the stone on its own looks white, and to me it’s very hard to see any blue in it except for on camera. Thank you so much for sharing, I had not considered the difference could be this stark by just setting it in a multi stone setting. Especially interesting considering yours is an M color which should generally pull more warm!

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that’s very interesting to see! I think the side stones definitely are what makes the contrast noticeable. It is part of why I am debating resetting it. Every video I saw of the stone on its own looks white, and to me it’s very hard to see any blue in it except for on camera. Thank you so much for sharing, I had not considered the difference could be this stark by just setting it in a multi stone setting. Especially interesting considering yours is an M color which should generally pull more warm!

A3CD4A37-BD73-4ECE-ACE4-823F557F6C52.jpeg

I think your stone is lovely. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a little blue nuance in a steely grey setting ;-)

I hope you and your stone have a great outcome.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I love the slight blue nuance in a white setting. That’s why for a re-set I would recommend staying away from two-tone. Of the three choices, I would pick the solitaire.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond looks lovely. I had a natural diamond that showed a slight blue tint in photos, and my lab diamond looks whiter in person as well. If you see too much contrast with your side stones, I would go with a solitaire. Honestly though, I think the ring is gorgeous as is.

Rough_Rock
Hi! Can I ask who made this ring?! It is literally my dream setting and I haven't been able to find it. Would you mind sharing where the setting is from or who you used to make such a beautiful piece? :kiss2:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing to add here, but just want to say your ring is gorgeous!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results