shape
carat
color
clarity

Does GoodoldGold send diamonds to the United Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if Good Old Gold sends diamonds to customers in the United Kingdom or outside of the USA?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I belive they do I think he just sold something to someone in Singapore...do not know details of transaction...

Email Jonathan...he can give you the details

Best of luck in you search

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You bet we do! We've recently had some clients who flew over from the mainland to pick up their rock but in most cases we ship to them.

Peace,
Rhino

damo

Rough_Rock
Don't forget you'll have to pay VAT if you have it shipped....

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everybody. Yes I already know about VAT and also import taxes I would have to pay. I have been told that it will be 17.5% for vat which is standard and about 5% for import tax.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Being in europe too, I can tell you it's ~21% Yikes!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In Canada it's around 25%.
14.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interestingly everyone of our UK clients (and Canadian for that matter) said it was still worth it for them for me to ship it to them as compared to what they were seeing and being offered for the $$$.

Rhino

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yes it's true. Here diamonds are outrangeously expensive!
eek.gif

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Giangi,

I am sure you ment your VAT is 21% not the import tax, which is 0%.

In Finland we have 22% VAT.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Rhino!
If I come to your store, could I have some problems at the airport when I go back in Belgium?
I'd like to buy a 2 carater H&A, "I" or lower color vvs-vs.
I will not buy the 1.22 because I already have a lot of 1ct stones, but I like this kind of diamonds.
Thanks.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Rhino!
If I come to your store, could I have some problems at the airport when I go back in Belgium?
I'd like to buy a 2 carater H&A, "I" or lower color vvs-vs.
I will not buy the 1.22 because I already have a lot of 1ct stones, but I like this kind of diamonds.
Thanks.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You shouldn't have a problem unless you purchase one of our explosive diamonds. Then you may not get on the plane.
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sibelius, yes you were right.

Rhino
9.gif
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhino you really must get those stones checked for stress before they bring down an air plane!!!
How dreadfully irresponsable of you
sad.gif

BTW stephan do you know Paul Slegers in Antwerp (alias Paul from Antwerp)? He will find or cut you a beautiful stone.
Sorry to interrupt on your turf Rhino - but Paul gave me a first class tour of Antwerp - My Wife and I had never known about the old part of the city - our previous visits were 'in and out'. I owe Paul big time
1.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Gary, I know him, he is very friendly and he seems to sell only quality, but he is more expensive than Jonathan.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Stephan,

Thank you for contacting me yesterday.

I am transfering your request to my Belgian dealer. He will take care of details, as I am not selling directly to the public. Rest assured, he will give you all the service that you deserve.

Also, the price I gave you yesterday was a rough estimate, and should not be directly compared to another quote. Since I did not have the exact stone for you in hands, I prefered to give you a somewhat higher quote, so that you do not get bad surprises later on.

Once we have the correct stone for you, our dealer can give you a definite quote, and I am sure that pricing will be OK.

Live long,

Paul

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Paul!

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Rhino:
If one were to fly from the UK (cheap airfares are likely less than VAT) - would we then be spared the NY state income tax by proving our UK residency?

thanks,
Golden Ringlets

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Golden,

Thanks for the question. Deliveries received within the state of NY are subject to NY state sales tax. If delivery is taken outside of NY state then you are not subject to any tax.

Peace,
Rhino

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
All the more reason to continue your vacation to the US in sunny Florida for a visit to Richard, or to historic Philadelphia for a stop at oldminer's place
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL ... Exactly Elmo. We've also had clients from the UK stay at hotels in Jersey or Connecticut.
2.gif

Rhino

skibb

Rough_Rock
Customs Duty (import tax) for imports from non-EU countries is 0% for diamonds and 2.5% for jewellery. This is standard accross all EU States so it's cheaper to import the stone and have it mounted locally.

VAT (sales tax) applies and this varies from state to state. UK vat is 17.5%, Irish vat is 21% etc.

You can buy in the US and bring the ring in directly through customs without declaring it, but at a risk. It's called smuggling, but many still do it.

If that's what you're going to do, post home seperately any documentation, boxes or anything that might tip-off a customs officer who searches your baggage that the ring on your finger is aquired in the US.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Skibb:
Pyramid notes a 5% import tax on top of VAT, but am I correct in understanding that diamonds are not subject to this UK import tax? I'm referring to a diamond mailed from the US.

Would an unset diamond being "carried" in and declared, also be subject to VAT, even if state tax had been paid in the US?

Your smuggling comments made me laugh...

Best

Goldenringlets

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When declaring the import of an unset diamond in the UK, the UK-rate of VAT is applicable and payable, even if you have paid sales tax in NY.

If your first point of entry in the European Union is another country, the whole issue can become very complicated. The law requires you to declare the import in your first port of entry, which could be Frankfurt, Paris, Helsinki and in a few years from now even Warsaw, Prague or Vilnius.

I am not sure, but I think that for a private person, the local VAT-rate of the point of entry will be payable. If this is so, you will pay 21% when entering through Belgium, 22% when entering through Finland, 16% when entering through Germany. Your best point of entry would then be Luxemburg with a rate of 15%.

However, I can be wrong, and the following system could apply when entering the EU through another country. As a UK-citizen, you should pay the UK-VAT, but you are now in another country. Either, you prove that you have prepaid the VAT in the UK, or that you are guaranteeing this payment by a bank-guarantee. Then, you will be allowed to take your purchase with you within the European Union. If this is not foreseen, they will hold your purchase, until you have paid the VAT in the UK, and then, you can arrange for the shipment to your home.

If anyone knows which of the two possible systems applies when a private person enters the EU through another country than his home country, I am certainly interested to know.

Live long,

Paul

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
foreigners and out-of-state folks who purchase items that come w/ applicable sales tax can receive a credit for the tax paid. However, if you are going to do this, you then have to pay your own state "use tax" if a us citizen, and i believe you would then have to pay import taxes etc. if a foreigner.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Paul from Antwerp:
That was a very erudite answer and interesting. Do you suppose they've thought of this in Brussels?

I understand that much of the VAT is Britain goes to the EU. Hence, it would benefit an EU country to keep VAT low, and tax its citizens in other ways. Then, the country could also serve as a portal to Europe for those who love to shop abroad....

Goldenringlets

skibb

Rough_Rock
GoldenRinglets,

I believe that Paul gave a comprehensive answer. Do you have any other queries?

I recently imported a loose diamond to Ireland via Fedex. Fedex did the paperwork on customs clearance, a process that took a few days as they had some systems problems. One downside of importing a diamond as a private buyer is that returning an internet diamond if not satified with your purchase is significantly more difficult for you than US customers. I'm not saying that it's impossible to reclaim your VAT, but the likelihood is that you will deal with bureaucrats who haven't met this issue before and all that that entails.....

Finally, Customs Tax for loose diamonds is 0%. Customs Tax for mounted jewellery is 2.5%. It is better to import a loose stone and get a local jeweller to set. Besides avoiding the Customs Tax, you get to deal directly with the smith who makes the setting and have a relationship with a jeweller for maintainance, repairs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results