shape
carat
color
clarity

Does gold bend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tammzy

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
So i''m still having issues with my wedding band. I went to go order it and wanted an open band...I have a tension type setting and want to block the diamond as little as possible. However, the custom jeweller we ordered from said its probably best not to order an open one unless we solder it together. He said the band would bend. Have you guys heard about this? I know gold isn''t super hard but I can''t believe it would bend that much. I know i''ve seen pictures of rings that are open as well so i''m a bit confused.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gold will bend if its really thin. Do you have a pic of the ring you are considering?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Gold will bend, how much sort of depends on the alloys used in it, and the karat content of gold. 24 k is soft and bends easily, even in a ring that isn''t open. 14k or 10k would be a less prone to bending.

If I understand you, open means the ring isn''t solid, and fits around your engagement ring. To keep it from bending in normal wear, the jeweler''s suggestiion of soldering the side of the rings to each other, to give the open ring some "support" from bending is probably well intentioned.

Although, someone inventive or creative, and a true expert at jewelry making, could possibly make a pin(s) into or around ( a custom hook ) the wedding band that you could insert into the engagement ring or if you choose the hook type attach it. Needless to say you should tell the jeweler that you want these to be "invisible" when worn.

This type of work can be pricey as the components need to be very small and fitting exactly.

Rockdoc

Tammzy

Rough_Rock
It would be the same idea as the wedding band in this picture
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/allergy-ordeal-grinds-to-halt-with-lovely-ending-pics.51648/
only slightly different. But thats the open concept i had. I still don't really understand how it bends. I suppose I could ask for the open band and eventually get it soldered together.
Ya the jeweller had actually said he could do something similar to what your describing. They said they will make me a wax this week so I guess I can get an idea of what they mean. I just can't see how they could possibly make it invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results