shape
carat
color
clarity

Does GIA Certified=Good Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Desertfisher

Rough_Rock
Great, informative site! I am shopping for a diamond 1 to 1.2 carats, F or better and SI1 clarity. After reading through this forum, I understand the cut is very important, if not the most important. The gentleman I am interested in buying the diamond from has been selling diamonds for 65 years and is a family friend.

He said he had a 1.14 F SI1 Diamond that was GIA Certified. When I asked about the cut, he said not too worry because GIA only certifies the best cut diamonds. Is that true?

Desertfisher

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich. I didn't think so. I should receive the GIA Certificate today for review before I make a decision. I'm not able to view the actual stone, so hopefully the certificate will be enough to go by?

DigDug

Rough_Rock
Desertfisher,

The GIA report will give you a good feel for the diamond but I have found that the GIA report often does not include crown and pavillion angles (key items when reviewing the cut quality). Sometime I have seen this information included in the "comments" section of the GIA report. Are you getting a GIA report or a GIA "Diamond Dossier", they are a little different in layout and information presented.

I would strongly suggest asking for a Sarin report AND/OR the crown and pavillion angles to help you review the diamond cut quality using this websites HCA page *great tool*.

Your about to drop a huge lump sum of cash. Ask for the information you need to make a good descision, if you get a run around, leave for another source, family friend or not.

Good luck shopping!

DigDug

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can find some very fine cut stones with only GIA papers and some very poorly fashioned ones, too. You cannot assume anything. "Caution" is the word of the day..

Desertfisher

Rough_Rock
Thanks much for the insight guys. Caution and patience seem to be two good words when buying a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results