shape
carat
color
clarity

Does everybody here wear wedding band?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I was at tiffany trying on wedding band for fun along with e-ring. I'm a very ticklish person and I can feel the rings on my finger which can be uncomfortable. Plus, I wasn't sure if I even like the look of two rings stack up together, so I decided to just wear e-ring (plus I can put the money for wedding band towards it :bigsmile: ) The sales lady says lots of people now days don't wear wedding band and she does not as well. I think I always see picture of people wear wedding band here so just wondering if there is anybody that doesn't wear or doesn't plan on wearing it.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
nobody? :(sad so it is weird that I choose not to wear it?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I don't wear a wedding ring anymore. I did for 16 years, but took it off 2 years ago. No reason really, just wanted to try something different. Now I'm getting a new EC diamond ring with a heavy shank that I will wear by itself. I think my fingers suit one ring better somehow, but I like sets on plenty of people. Just not me. :twirl:

I should say though that I like the fact that I do have one. Sometimes I need it. That doesn't mean you need to be matchy matchy I don't think. I have the 18 kt yellow gold standby, and have a few other bands that I'll throw on if the mood strikes. Like some nice rose cut diamond stackers from Etsy. :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my real life I know a number of women who wear only the e-ring.

I will note that you get used to the look and feel of a wedding band after a while. Just takes adjustment.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
I prob won't wear one WITH my e-ring, although I will get one (or maybe more...lol) so that if I can't/don't want to wear the e-ring, I can do that. You're not alone or weird..don't worry ::)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I wear a wedding band, but I know plenty of women of different ages who choose to just wear their wedding band or just their e-ring. My mom, for example, has a wedding band but hasn't ever worn it, to my knowledge. She upgraded her e-ring after she and my dad were married for 10 years and only wears that ring now. A woman I work with wears only an emerald ring that she and her husband bought on a trip. A friend of mine never got a wedding band as there weren't any that she liked that would complement her e-ring design.

I don't think it's weird that you aren't planning on wearing a wedding band at all! I do think that, should you decide you want to wear one, you'd get used to the feeling of it on your finger. At this point, my finger feels weird when I don't have both of my rings on.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for me, if I have a solitaire with a ring design that is straight across then I wear a band 99% of the time. I've had e-rings with a more ornate design that has diamonds on the shank, not allowing for a wedding band unless I go custom, I wore that solo.

If I had a three stone ring, I don't think I would.

I wear a wedding band without the E-ring often.

So for me, it really depends on the style of ring.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my 3 stone without a band a lot of the time because I like the way it looks better. My gf wears her ring without a band because her setting is thick and full of diamonds and a band would be too much also. The only time I think it would look "odd" is if you had a plain solitaire. Then I think you would just look engaged. But then again, whos business is it anyway?

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't. I do have a 5 stone "wedding band" type ring but I only wear it sometimes. I always wear a ring on my left finger, but I switch around a lot. I don't have a conventional e-ring anymore, either. The only thing my left hand ring collection has in common is that they are all diamond rings. I wear gemstones on my right.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
thank you all for the replies =)

MxMom

Rough_Rock
I did before our upgrade. I actually had two on each side and they were soldered to the ering. Since our upgrade, I have a three stone with three sided pave on it and I do not wear an ering. However, when I'm riding my motocross bike, the pave gets left behind.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do currently wear 2 rings, but I am hoping in the near future to reset my my 2 rings to make 1 ring, I like the look of only 1 ring, but since my ering is a solitare I feel I need to wear something with it so I do. I do wear my 5 stone and scatter band alone alot of times when I dont want to wear my ering.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Definitely not a big deal nowadays.

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Almost 7 years ago, I picked out my 3 row pave setting thinking I didn't need to wear a wband with it, since it has diamonds on all sides. After being married for a couple months, people would ask, "where is your wband?" or "when are you getting married?" After being married for 4 months, on our 1st Valentine's Day, my husband surprised me with a matching band, yay :) I wore them together for 5 years in a row.

For our 5th anniversary, I got my eternity ring which was meant for a RHR, I love it, so comfortable and I wear it more on my ring finger. But lately, like the others mention, I see more and more ladies just wear one ring now, either a solitaire or just a blingged out setting.

So my new look now, is I wear my e-ring on my ring finger alone and wear my eternity as my RHR ring.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm kind of in the opposite camp. 99% of the time, I only wear my wedding band. I only wear my engagement ring when I go out to dinner with my husband or something like that. I am not a big jewelry person and find my e-ring a little bit of a nuisance, a beautiful nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless :)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting.
I actually never heard of not wearing your wedding band, though I have heard of not wearing your e-ring, especially after being married awhile.
the only I had noticed is that to older people (35 plus) a 'wedding band' is a plain gold band while to the younger set, at least for the women, it is a ring with diamonds in it, eternity or half eternity, adn that some younger women seem to have several wedding bands and stack them in different ways, instead of just one--at least that what I read on Pricescope,although again, this is not something I have seen in real life anywhere. That is, I see the diamond wedding bands in real life but I don't know anyone who has more than one wedding ring in real life. they might have other rings, but they call them anniversary rings or something--the wedding band is always the one they got married with.
I do think that it's the wedding band that makes you look married, whatever kind or however many you have, not the engagement ring. In the cases I knew of where the engagement ring doesn't go well with the wedding band, it's the engagement ring that gets moved to the right hand.
The only semi-exception I know of is the case of those 'wraps' that were popular in the early 1990's, which look like you don't have a wedding band because they are rings that fit together to look like they are only one ring, but after you have seen a couple of them you can tell when that's what the person has on and that they have on a wedding band.
But I guess since several answered you that they don't wear their wedding bands, this must be a possiblity nowadays at least in some places and of course int he end its up to you and your husband. If he is fine with it and you are fine with it, it really is no one else's business. things have so changed that I have had issues with men feeling it is fine to hit on me with my left hand ring finger completely covered with engagement ring, plain gold band, anniversary ring, every signal you could possibly think of which you would think would be screaming "Married! Unavailable! Leave this one alone!' So since nothng is really an effective signal anymore, and you just have to be prepared to handle yourself, it can just be a style statment, right?

Black Jade, who was extremely disgusted recently when a 'gentleman' met her husband for the first time and told him "Hey, when I met your wife two weeks ago, I hit on her but she just ignored me and pretended she didn't understand me."
I would think you'd be ashamed to have been hitting on a married woman, grateful that she didn't embarrass you pulbicly and SHUT UP about it afterwards, but what do I know?
I don't think rings help when people are like this.

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
My Mom only wore her engagement ring for as long as I can remember, I don't know why but she never wore her wedding band. People used to ask her about it all of the time but in the last several years, it seems like it is a lot more common. If it works for you, then do it!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I wear 4 rings on my left hand. From bottom to top - my original wedding band that DH and I exchanged during our wedding ceremony, eternity band, spacer, and (reset) e-ring. Although my e-ring would probably look best with just my eternity band (and spacer), I can never NOT wear my original wedding band, as it is the one that DH put on my finger when we exchanged vows and we are both very sentimental about it. It is about 3.5mm, white gold, hand engraved (read: not script) with "our" saying, and matches exactly DH's band, except for size. DH lost his job 4 months prior to the wedding, and we were paying for the wedding and everything else ourselves, so we didn't have a lot of money to spend on our wedding rings. The rings were inexpensive, but they mean the world to both of us, so we will ALWAYS wear them, no matter what. Even if I wear no other jewelry, I will ALWAYS wear my wedding band. :love:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
It never crossed my mind until a couple of friends got married and did not get one. Since then, I've decided that a WB doesn't usually do very much for me with an ER, unless the ER setting is very simple or plain. I recently got a thin band to wear with my ER and I prefer either that or no WB at all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Rare occasion.

cheers--Sharon

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I do wear a wedding band but I honestly think that my e-ring looks better alone. I thought I would get used to the look of it but we've been married for 5 months and I still prefer the rings separately. However, I'm like Misfit in that I will always wear my wedding band because its symbolizes such a special day. I want to upgrade my e-ring in the future, but I will always wear my original wedding band.

I do think that these days anything goes, do what makes you happy. You can wear one ring or you can wear 5. Its all personal preference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I always wear my WB with my ER. I don't think there are any rules. Wear what is most comfortable for you (mentally and physically). I would feel naked without my WB and it also looks better with my ER than either of them do alone I think.

I had noticed is that to older people (35 plus) a 'wedding band' is a plain gold band while to the younger set, at least for the women, it is a ring with diamonds in it, eternity or half eternity,

I have *not* noticed this at all. I think your older people categorization is off (maybe older than 50 would be more accurate?). I see plenty of women older than 35 who have eternities or bands with diamonds in them as their WB. Maybe it depends on the area you live in though but around us I rarely see plain WB's on women in their 40's.

I do agree with you re the possibility of people mistaking your status. I remember when I got engaged I actually had people come up to me and ask when was the wedding etc. I was surprised because before that I never noticed if people were wearing a WB or just an ER alone. So it was amusing to me how people that I didn't even know would ask that of me seeing just an ER and no WB. I still think it is 100% fine to wear what you want though.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts too. I remember a nurse at my OB had just an ER. Since their hands are on your body, I saw it and asked when she's getting married; she WAS married, but didn't wear a band. To each his own, for sure. I wear my ER and a revolving stack of bands - never just one - so I guess I'm in a different camp.

Joolz

Rough_Rock
I damaged my original e-ring so I am just wearing a band these days but am upgrading for my 10th anniversary just a few more months away and I will only wear that ring. I am a minimalist and like the way e-rings look on their own, but the styles seem to be so much thinner these days I have been wondering as of late if it will have enough presence on my long fingers.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I wear a WB and an e-ring when I'm not working. I am more apt to wear just my WB and/or eternity than just my e-ring. Because it's a solitaire with a fairly thin band, it looks like I'm engaged without something next to it. Plus, sometimes it's more comfortable not to hae a diamond sticking up to contend with.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do, in fact, I often ONLY wear a 2mm plain band.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
missy|1321018425|3059539 said:
Yes, I always wear my WB with my ER. I don't think there are any rules. Wear what is most comfortable for you (mentally and physically). I would feel naked without my WB and it also looks better with my ER than either of them do alone I think.

I had noticed is that to older people (35 plus) a 'wedding band' is a plain gold band while to the younger set, at least for the women, it is a ring with diamonds in it, eternity or half eternity,

I have *not* noticed this at all. I think your older people categorization is off (maybe older than 50 would be more accurate?). I see plenty of women older than 35 who have eternities or bands with diamonds in them as their WB. Maybe it depends on the area you live in though but around us I rarely see plain WB's on women in their 40's.

I do agree with you re the possibility of people mistaking your status. I remember when I got engaged I actually had people come up to me and ask when was the wedding etc. I was surprised because before that I never noticed if people were wearing a WB or just an ER alone. So it was amusing to me how people that I didn't even know would ask that of me seeing just an ER and no WB. I still think it is 100% fine to wear what you want though.

I am over 50 and gave up the plain gold band a long time ago as did most of my friends. I wear a white gold three stone ring by itself because it has three-sided pave on the band. At my age no one asks if I'm just engaged!!! I think these days you wear what you like.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1321052525|3059883 said:
missy|1321018425|3059539 said:

I am over 50 and gave up the plain gold band a long time ago as did most of my friends. I wear a white gold three stone ring by itself because it has three-sided pave on the band. At my age no one asks if I'm just engaged!!! I think these days you wear what you like.

Definitely. It's cool to wear whatever makes you happy.
I just realized my mom never wears her WB. She wears her ER most of the time but never her WB. I am going to have to ask her why. I cannot believe I just realized this. I guess I am just always drooling over her ER and never notice that she doesn't wear a band. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results