shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Diamond Shape Affect The Value?

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
If you have two diamonds that are of the same quality and size, does the shape determine which one is more valuable? For instance, if you were choosing between a round diamond and a princess cut diamond and both of them were the same size and quality, would you be expected to pay more for the princess cut? I have always wondered if the stone shape that is more popular at a particular time affects the cost of it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would expect to pay less for the princess. Ideal cut rounds take more rough to create, and will command a premium. Also, shapes fall in and out of vogue, so yes some shapes will be less expensive than others.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I definitely think shape affects cost/value over time, because of demand. Rounds are just more in demand than other shapes, and will be easier to resell, if that's ever needed.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LunaStar|1480175556|4102739 said:
If you have two diamonds that are of the same quality and size, does the shape determine which one is more valuable? For instance, if you were choosing between a round diamond and a princess cut diamond and both of them were the same size and quality, would you be expected to pay more for the princess cut? I have always wondered if the stone shape that is more popular at a particular time affects the cost of it.
No, with the 4 Cs being equal a round will always sell for more.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shape can affect a diamonds value depending on "fashion". A round diamond is always "in fashion" and popular and chosen by most people, other shapes appeal to a smaller market. When a shape is "out of fashion" ie marquis cut, then relative cost is lower because there is less demand. Size has the most effect on diamond value, especially when you "go over" carat size. A 1.03 diamond is more than the .97 diamond vs the .91 diamond. Likewise the 2.03 diamond is more than the 1.97 diamond vs the 1.91 diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Higher Cut, Color or Clarity has a huge effect on diamond price too. A smaller high color stone can be more expensive than a larger lower color and the same with the others. A balance of the 4 C's is best, this board however promotes Cut above the rest for visual reasons but there are other levels to appreciate diamonds on such as rarity, purity etc.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Based on the lists that dealers use to determine value round is the costliest shape.
Other shapes have traditionally jockeyed for position below round.
In the '80's, for example, marquise shape was very popular and more costly than oval. That has changed.

Today there are some boutique shapes that might be equivalent or even more than round- but in general it's round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results