shape
carat
color
clarity

does clarity of 1.7mm side diamond matter?

Sandyc

Rough_Rock
This is my first post. I'm mounting a 3.8 Ct pear VVS2, G-H. It will have 3 three 1.7mm diamonds on the side in bezels. In the attached picture, I didn't have the best lighting. The stone looks a lot better in person and doesn't have the black areas that you see in the photo. It was my mom's which she got in 1964. The jeweler told me that what she ordered for the sides are G-H S2. Will that look okay together? She says that the clarity doesn't matter on that size of stone. I've read on Brian Gavin's site that they use better clarity. Will it matter with just three bezels? What do you think? We tried to drop one of the 1.7 mms into the setting to see, but it was too small for us to manipulate. The color did seem the same to me.

img_11292.jpg

Sandyc

Rough_Rock
Oops. Its a 2.38 ct. pear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely shaped pear! I like how you are setting it!

Are the side stone VS2 or SI2? Huge difference!

Sandyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Yes, I think the shape is a plus. It originally had baguettes, then in the 1980's went into a large gold contemporary ( for 1980's) setting. So I wanted to make it more current and not so much reminding me of the earlier versions my mom had.

She said S2 and I assume that is not VS2. Do you think I should upgrade? If so, what should I ask for?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Realistically, if the side stones are true SI2s, it should not matter visually. Mentally, it might, to many people.

My concern, as a jeweler, is are those smalls well cut?

I do not mean are they H&A ideal cuts, but are they at least well cut? Many vendors will blithely put any 1.7 mm "object" into a ring and call it good. Then, once you leave the bright lights of the jewelry store there is no sparkle left to the small stones. With a poor cut, the clarity of the diamond will have little to no importance to the appearance of the diamond, unless of course it is truly an I1, or I2 instead of SI2.

Hopefully, you are working with a vendor who is going to provide you with well cut 1.7mm diamonds, and at that point, visually, an SI2 diamond will be as attractive as a higher clarity diamond. However, the price difference between a VS2 and an SI2 is so small that you might enjoy the piece of mind of going to a higher clarity and better cut. You are talking about 0.02 ct each diamonds. Even if the VS2 was $1,000 per carat more that would only be a difference of $20 per diamond. Even at full retail, I do not think the price difference will be anywhere near $1,000 per carat.

Another difference to consider might be to ask the vendor if he can get you some well cut single cut diamonds. With fewer facets these diamonds will have larger flashes of light and perceived sparkle than the full cut smalls. The difference can be quite astonishing. Again, cut will be more important than clarity in any properly graded diamond from SI2 and up. Good single cuts can be much harder to find than well cut round brilliants, but the search can bring the reward of better sparkle for your ring and the mental pleasure of knowing that you have taken the time to make your finished ring even more unique and special.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no such thing as S2, so there is a letter left out somewhere! But regardless, as Wink said, I would insist on excellent cut stones and VS clarity. Fine jewelry should always have high quality stones, even if they are tiny!

Sandyc

Rough_Rock
Thank you Wink! I will talk to my jeweler. Is there any possibility that the single cut and well cut 1.7mm stones might out shine the center stone? Is there the possibility that she may not even know what I am talking about when I say I want it well cut?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1459609017|4014577 said:
There is no such thing as S2, so there is a letter left out somewhere! But regardless, as Wink said, I would insist on excellent cut stones and VS clarity. Fine jewelry should always have high quality stones, even if they are tiny!

Ah the joys of traveling and not working on my normal computer. I completely missed the lack of the "I" when reading the original post.

I will claim immunity from such errors, properly stating that I am too distracted by my two beautiful grand daughters to have been looking for the small print. Of curse, now that DiamondSeeker2006 brings that fault into perfect clarity, I can see it clearly now... (Sigh, I hope I do not have to start reading my phone's tiny screen with a loupe.)

As for the OP's question about the smalls out sparkling the center diamond, please do not worry. Even well cut smalls are going to provide only a background sparkle and beauty to the ring. The center will always hold the front stage and command the eye. Even the best cut smalls will only serve to alert those who might not have seen the center yet that there is some sparkle here and thus draw the eye in to the main target, but once having done so they will properly fade into the background, adding a portion of beauty, but never being able to steal the show.

The additional cost of the better cut smalls is so inconsequential as to be a non starter. A little extra to get the ring made can result is so much more enjoyment from that ring, LONG after the additional cost is lost to your memory.

Wink

P.S. If you are not going to keep your ring clean, none of it matters! I am constantly amazed at how icky some ladies let their rings get. A little daily or at least weekly TLC can keep your ring looking as if new. There are many threads here about cleaning your rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy those precious little ones, Wink! I have two little granddaughters myself, so I know exactly what you mean!

You need to ask for excellent cut melee (tiny diamonds) with VS clarity. If a jeweler didn't know what that meant, I'd run! :-o

Sandyc

Rough_Rock
When you have to use a loop to see your granddaughters, that is when its gone too far!
Yes, I know what you mean about dirty jewelry. This was my mother's ring, and it was so encrusted with hard water deposits and what not, that it never appealed to me. I thought I just didn't like diamonds. I see so much dead diamonds around me.

The side stones are SI2. So is there a way to insure that they are well cut? They are brilliant cut. She seems to be a novice. But I can get her to order whatever I want as an upgrade if I know the language. When I say well cut, she says yes, they are brilliant cut. She is a friend in my tight knit group and I do want to go with her but just need help in telling her what I want exactly.

Sandyc

Rough_Rock
I found more threads about this subject and see now that I really have to be able to trust the jeweler more, as what one source calls excellent grade on a 1.7mm, , another may call good. I am going to put this on hold for now until I can confirm the quality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results