shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone wear something (in public!) they they *know* is not flattering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2006 8:48:50 PM
Author: Christa

Date: 10/20/2006 7:32:58 PM
Author: Ellen
DeeJay, you remind me of my very wealthy aunt and uncle in FL. We went to visit, and went out for lunch one day. After they paid the bill, at the table, they looked around, and my aunt says, ok. With that they stuck all the creamer containers in her purse. LMAO I about died.

(Reminds me in a good way)
2.gif
That''s nothing.
5.gif
I had an elderly relative (a relative-in-law, actually, or to be precise a step-relative-in-law) who died a couple of years ago and everyone was shocked to discover that she had 1/2 a million in the bank--for years she refused to buy new underwear and she re-used bandaids! That should make you feel like a normal person, DeeJay!
LOL You know, I''ve heard of a couple people like that, and the second time I said, "Why would they live like that when they obviously had money". To which somone replied, "That''s why they had money". Might be a certain amount of truth to that...

Sorry though, I refuse to reuse my bandaids.
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2006 3:55:24 PM
Date: 10/20/2006 8:48:50 PM

Author: Christa

Date: 10/20/2006 7:32:58 PM

DeeJay, you remind me of my very wealthy aunt and uncle in FL. We went to visit, and went out for lunch one day. After they paid the bill, at the table, they looked around, and my aunt says, ok. With that they stuck all the creamer containers in her purse. LMAO I about died.

(Reminds me in a good way)
2.gif

That's nothing.
5.gif
I had an elderly relative (a relative-in-law, actually, or to be precise a step-relative-in-law) who died a couple of years ago and everyone was shocked to discover that she had 1/2 a million in the bank--for years she refused to buy new underwear and she re-used bandaids! That should make you feel like a normal person, DeeJay!
LOL You know, I've heard of a couple people like that, and the second time I said, 'Why would they live like that when they obviously had money'. To which somone replied, 'That's why they had money'. Might be a certain amount of truth to that...

9.gif

HOW can you reuse a bandaid? Doesn't all the adhesive come off when you pull it off your skin???
33.gif

Small update: I went to two department stores today and didn't buy anything. BUT THAT'S OK!!! Because before I might have been tempted to buy some of the things I tried on that technically "fit" but didn't look great because they were MAJORLY on sale. So I think that's progress, right? (Of course we're going out to dinner in three hours and I have nothing to wear that doesn't look grim... )

And AllisonFaye - it's so funny that you posted because I always associate Graff with YOU!!! Ever since you said that you went there I always think wouldn't it be funny if I ran into you there! I didn't actually try anything on though because it just got there about 2 minutes to closing time on a Friday night and I thought it wouldn't be fair to torture them at that point by trying on things that I had no intention of buying. (Really I went to scope it out becuase Mrs. Salvo is coming to town in a few weeks and I wanted to find the best places to take her.)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2006 4:14:13 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 10/21/2006 3:55:24 PM
LOL You know, I''ve heard of a couple people like that, and the second time I said, ''Why would they live like that when they obviously had money''. To which somone replied, ''That''s why they had money''. Might be a certain amount of truth to that...

9.gif

HOW can you reuse a bandaid? Doesn''t all the adhesive come off when you pull it off your skin???
33.gif

Small update: I went to two department stores today and didn''t buy anything. BUT THAT''S OK!!! Because before I might have been tempted to buy some of the things I tried on that technically ''fit'' but didn''t look great because they were MAJORLY on sale. So I think that''s progress, right? (Of course we''re going out to dinner in three hours and I have nothing to wear that doesn''t look grim... )

And AllisonFaye - it''s so funny that you posted because I always associate Graff with YOU!!! Ever since you said that you went there I always think wouldn''t it be funny if I ran into you there!
Uh, scotch tape? lol I dunno...

I''m not a fashionista either. I can''t afford it, and I just never was. But I "think" I always look nice. I tend to buy classic stuff, that never goes out of style. And always stuff that can be mixed and matched. RARE is the time I''ll buy something that cannot go with anything else. I also won''t buy anything that doesn''t "like" me. I don''t care how much I love something, if it isn''t flattering, I won''t buy it.

Just put on your diamonds, they won''t even notice what you''re wearing.
9.gif
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2006 4:24:25 PM
Uh, scotch tape? lol I dunno...

I''m not a fashionista either. I can''t afford it, and I just never was. But I ''think'' I always look nice. I tend to buy classic stuff, that never goes out of style. And always stuff that can be mixed and matched. RARE is the time I''ll buy something that cannot go with anything else. I also won''t buy anything that doesn''t ''like'' me. I don''t care how much I love something, if it isn''t flattering, I won''t buy it.

Just put on your diamonds, they won''t even notice what you''re wearing.
9.gif
2.gif
Ellen, you might know I am like you in that I buy classic stuff...I wear slacks and a top and sweater to work all fall and winter. Most everything I have goes with black, so I have a couple of black cardigans, a black corduroy blazer, a taupe corduroy blazer, and almost everything can be worn with those. Oh, and I have a couple of different pairs of comfy black flats, too!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Hehe...I''m wearing my bad look today...Bermuda shorts...Not a good look for 5''2" 100 lb. me. I have to say, they really don''t lengthen me very much, but, it''s 80 today. At least they''re tan colored!
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How funny. I am pretty low key (but like inner kitten never leave the house without mascara!) but I am sure I wear things for comfort over looks sometimes. How funny I went to pick up DH from the airport today and say this lady who really needed a make-over. She had LOTS of potential but the wrong clothes, wrong purse, wrong hair cut, wrong hair color...then I felt kind of mean about my silent judging. Reminded me of this thread.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
During the winter if I'm at home I generally live in sweats or velour type tracksuits. That's because I have four cats and they are like moths to the flame. When I sit down usually one of them will be on my lap. So I NEVER sit around my house in anything nice due to the cat hair factor. I sometimes drive my oldest daughter who is a freshman to school and I have been known to put sweat pants under my nightgown and throw a coat over since the high school is three minutes down the road. It has occurred to me that I might someday have to get out of the car. I just cross my fingers that it will never happen.

However, at all other times when I go out, I try to look my best. When I had my kids I told myself I would NOT become frumpy. It just bugs me. I don't have a problem with what anyone else wears but I like nice clothes and really try to put cute clothes together. I remember my daughter's sports banquet last year. I think every woman there had jeans on-many had sweatshirts too. I wore cute stone colored pants with a corduroy blazer. Maybe I was overdressed but I felt put together. I think the only time I wear a sweatshirt out is if I'm hiking. I think whatever makes you feel comfortable is fine though.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I mostly don''t leave the house unless I look put together. I can''t say I''m always a fashion plate but at least it is nothing hideous. I''ve recently lost 15 pounds so I''m having trouble with "fit" on clothes. The stuff I wore last year is too baggy but I''m not to my goal weight yet so I don''t really want to buy a whole new wardrobe. I looked into altering what I have and I might as well buy new.

Every spring and fall I take all of my clothes out of my closest and force myself to try them on. If they are not flattering, they go in the Goodwill bag. I have very small closests in my house (think phone booth size) so this is a way to keep the amount of clothes to a manageable level.

My "at home" clothes though can be pretty bad. I have a couple of the velour pants & zip up jackets and I mostly wear those. But now they are super baggy and look really aweful. I''ve been wearing more jeans and sweaters and home lately. Before I got married in 2005 my "at home" clothes were down right scary. I had some bright yellow leggings and a yellow flowered sweatshirt that I wore because it was comfortable...I decided all of that kind of stuff had to go when I got married so I threw it out and bough the velour outfits.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you gals inspired me. I walked into my closet last night, closed the door, and took some inventory. I have a six foot long rack crammed with pants of which about 10 pairs fit me, and of those I only wear about 5. The lower six foot rack is crammed full of blouses and sweater sets, some of which also don''t fit me. On the long hanging rack I have a bunch of sundresses that I last wore on the trip where I got engaged... in 1998...

As a matter of fact, I have things in my closet THAT DIDN''T EVEN FIT ME WHEN I BOUGHT THEM!!! It was a case of, Oh, I''ll lose ten pounds and this will look great, so I better buy it since it''s such a great bargain.

So, ladies, there is a closet cleaning in order very soon!!

I''m getting rid of everthing that''s too big (yes, I EVEN have clothes that are TOO BIG for me lurking in there) and most things that are too small (there are a few exceptions and I *am* on a diet [can you see what a long uphill battle this is going to be for me?
20.gif
]), and the things that are simply unflattering in some way just have to GO.

And I think that is a good first step, right? I mean, if I don''t have things that look bad on me I can''t wear them. And then I will start to restock in a thoughful way.

Ug. It could take YEARS to get to a wardrobe that I like and that looks good on me... and then it will all be out of style and I''ll have to start over again anyway!!!
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ...sounds like you have a good plan. I hate cleaning my closet out but it feels so good when it's done!! We have our own closets so at least I don't have to share with Greg (thank goodness!) but even then it still can get really crazy in there with just my stuff. I try to closet clean 2x a year. It takes almost a whole weekend day typically! I try to lay out most things then try a bunch of stuff on as I am putting it back in or out. This year I was really a purger and I threw out a ton of stuff I was keeping for god knows what...so my closet was pretty lean. Plus like ID I recently lost some weight so a lot of my old clothes just don't fit me anymore. I did manage to re-fit into some jeans and other things from a few years ago so THAT was awesome, ahha. But really I have had to get the closet restocked big time. I have been shopping up a storm lately...poor Greg yesterday was like 'another trip??! what are you buying?!'...but I'm pretty much done now for fall/winter. I typically wear mostly jeans and sweaters but I also bought a few dressy pants and things...I need to get a few of these Juicy suit pants I bought last year tailored to fit me again, they are hugely big on me like balloon pants!

In terms of finding things I like, I do a lot of online window shopping on sites and then I get into the store and try stuff on one afternoon. Also I find that I like 'brands' or similar at some of the stores. I don't know how familiar you are with Nordstroms but I love the Halogen and TBD brands that are put out in the Savvy and TBD departments. They have GREAT sweaters and tailored short jackets that go great with jeans and casual slacks that are priced very right. I just got 3 thin layering sweaters yesterday for $48 each that are very soft with long sleeves, and the cutest purple/plum tailored thin textured cord jacket with 2 buttons and a flattering fit for $88. I supplement my closet with things like this and also spend a little bit more and get other things that I know will last me for years, aka a black or camel blazer etc. But for 'trendy' or 'colorful' things I like to spend under $100 so that if I only wear it for 2 years or whatever it won't be a waste of $$. Also JCrew has very 'classic' styles that are affordable that to me do not go in and out of season really. I have sweaters from them I have worn for years and they still sell those styles in the stores this year. They also sell short/regular/long.

Also I shop sometimes in A&F and AE for sweaters and jeans and stuff. The stores near us are filled with 15-25 year old gals so I always feel like a grandma in there, but their stuff fits me, they also sell short/regular/long and their jeans are very flattering and only $50! So anyway...you can definitely get out and get some new comfy stuff that does not have to break the bank or be a high-end designer brand so you don't feel forced to keep it for 5 years...hehee.

And yes I second and third ID's velour tracksuits thing. I have a ton of Juicy but you don't have to spend on those if you don't want to ... almost every dept store and Target too makes a knockoff version. As long as it FITS you....they can be pretty flattering and you can wear them around on the weekend and they are very comfy...almost too comfy! hehe.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2006 5:35:20 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Ellen, you might know I am like you in that I buy classic stuff...I wear slacks and a top and sweater to work all fall and winter. Most everything I have goes with black, so I have a couple of black cardigans, a black corduroy blazer, a taupe corduroy blazer, and almost everything can be worn with those. Oh, and I have a couple of different pairs of comfy black flats, too!
ds, it''s scary how alike we think sometimes. lol I''d love to know what you look like, they say everyone has a twin somewhere.
5.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Durability?

Just J. Jill.

I have dresses I bought from them in the 1970s that are still wearable.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a funny topic. I''m pretty dressed up when I go to work, usually in a suit or some sort of skirt and blouse/sweater. But on my days off I''m very casual, usually in jeans, a t-shirt or sweatshirt. I love sweatshirts! They are so comfy, who cares if they''re not flattering?
16.gif

At home, it''s a different story though. As soon as I''m in the door, I''ll put on my pj''s. Sam does the exact same thing when he gets home. We lounge in our pj''s all day long if we''re not going out on our days off.

As for spending a lot on clothes, I just can''t do it. If it''s a really nice piece, i.e. a coat or jacket, I might spend 100-200. But if it''s for regular clothes, I like to save money there. I think the cheap stuff is just as good as the nicer labels. I love shopping at Old Navy, Gap, AE, Target, and Newport News.

Mara, I agree Nordstroms has some nice clothes, but I think it cost too much. I can''t imagine myself spending a few hundred bucks for buying several sweaters. Although sometimes I can find some good priced items when they have their anniversary sale.

It''s so funny about the wearing inexpensive clothes and pricey jewelry bit. Sam and I were having dinner the other night and I was dressed really nice. I was wearing this black and red empire waist dress with black patent leather pumps. As we were walking to the restaurant I told Sam my entire outfit only cost $95. The dress was $25 and shoes were $70 and those were a pair of my more expensive shoes too! Hee.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE shoes!!! It''s the one thing that doesn''t make me feel bad and always fits. It always looks fabulous and can perk up any outfit. I can go shopping sometimes, spend $85 and come home with 4 pairs of shoes. Hee. Sam is always impressed when I do that. He''ll be like, "what? $85 for all of that? good job!"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
milly...i think nordies has an expensive rep, but i like that they have different brands that are cheaper or more expensive so you can mix and match. you don't have to overspend. like their halogen brand has awesome stuff typically and i love getting sweaters from them, like the ones i just bought. i have a bunch of halogen sweaters from previous years and they last. and i have a halogen cord camel short tailored jacket that i have had for like 5 years that was $75! hahaa.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results