shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone think this garnet is real?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
i''ve got a pretty one coming sometime in the next week. i paid practically nothing for it, and i think it''s really pretty regardless, so i don''t care if the stone is real, and i will have it checked out when it gets here...seller said it could be a green garnet, but wasn''t sure whether it was a natural stone or not.

what do you guys think?

greenie2.jpg

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
another close-up

greenie3.jpg

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
here''s the whole piece in case anyone is interested

greenie1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My gut says synthetic or glass, because of the size and the stamped-looking setting. Is the setting marked? Did the seller say it was gold?

It''s a pretty piece, whatever it is.

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
here''s the auction info, i''ll let you know if i find any more stamps on it when it gets here

Very nicely detailed filigree work..

CIRCA: 1900-1940

MEASURES: 18’’ in length. The pendant is 1 1/8’’ X 5/8 ‘’ inches

MATERIAL: Marked 1/20 gold filled on the clasp.Appears to be a natural Gemstone. I believe it is a Garnet. However, I cannot say for certain on this one.

[what does "1/20 gold" mean?]

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2009 3:06:54 PM
Author:frenchblue
seller said it could be a green garnet, but wasn''t sure whether it was a natural stone or not.

what do you guys think?

Spherical bubbles like those outlined in the image are near-certain proof of glass. Glass is warm to the lips, not cool like crystalline gems. There are other clues but those should suffice.

Richard M.

greenie detail.jpg

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
ah well thank you richard!

for $30 and free shipping though, i''d say i''m still pretty happy.
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
"1/20 gold filled" refers to the amount of gold used to plate the (base metal) item.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Frenchblue--tell me about your avatar!
30.gif

eta: just looked it up--ahh! I remember now. Stunning!

The gold filled glass piece is very fun.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2009 6:36:21 PM
Author: glitterata
''1/20 gold filled'' refers to the amount of gold used to plate the (base metal) item.

Gold-filled isn''t plating, actually. To bear that mark, 1/20th of the weight of the item must consist of whatever karat of gold is specified. The marks typically read "1/20 14K Gold Filled)" or whatever karat gold is used.

To qualify as gold-filled a thin sheet of gold of the required karat is soldered to whatever non-precious metal is used in the setting. It''s much thicker than plating which is usually just a few microns thick and a tiny fraction of the item''s actual weight. Gold-filled settings wear much better than plated settings.

Richard M.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Richard, you''re right. Thanks for the clarification.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely a glass piece, but the setting is interesting nonetheless. Looks like a fun piece to wear.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tsavorite garnet was first discovered many years after this piece was made, so I would really doubt it''s a Tsavorite (green garnet).
Tsavorite garnet that size would sell for over $1000 per ct.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 10:00:31 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Tsavorite garnet was first discovered many years after this piece was made, so I would really doubt it''s a Tsavorite (green garnet).
Tsavorite garnet that size would sell for over $1000 per ct.
Gene you are right. But demantoid is also a green garnet isn''t it, and it has a long history
9.gif
Of course, then it would cost 30 thousand in this size, color and clarity. Sorry, couldn''t resist
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Once, before I knew better, I bought a Victorian ring with what the seller told me was a green garnet. It was a small (4 mm) emerald-colored round green stone. This particular seller is honest but not always knowledgeable--I once bought a natural star sapphire from her for $15 because she thought it was onyx. Anyway, I bought the green stone hoping for a demantoid, but it turns out to be a doublet of some sort. I think the top part is garnet and must have fooled her electronic tester. The setting is pretty, and I sometimes think of switching out the green thing for my $40 .27 R transition cut diamond (thread about it currently in RT).

What''s my point? Not sure. Further Adventures in Buying Things That Turn Out Not to Be Green Garnets, maybe?

frenchblue

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 12:05:50 PM
Author: glitterata

What's my point? Not sure. Further Adventures in Buying Things That Turn Out Not to Be Green Garnets, maybe?

HAHAHAHAHA! you totally crack me up glitterata. let's start a thread called Adventures in Buying Things That Turn Out Not to Be Green Garnets

where are the pics of your $15 star sapphire? i LOVE star sapphires but the only one i own is lab created. i want to see!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Mademoiselle Bleu, your wish is my command. I don''t want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, so I''ll start a new thread for my $15 star sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results