shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone prefer 60/60 diamonds?

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I have always suspected that I prefer near 60/60 style diamonds. I recently ordered two stones that I thought were going to be ideals but were criticized here as being closer to 60/60 than super ideal. when they arrived, I enjoyed their brightness but it was obvious they lacked fire and had the ”wrong” specs, so I tried again.

I ordered two stones that got approval on here and were designated IGI H&A. They arrived and are definitely sparkly and firey, and the arrows are clear as day. But there is almost so much fire that I think of moissanite or CZ. And I hate seeing the arrows so constant and bold. To me, they are like dark interruptions in this otherwise bright, sparkly thing.

Why do I seem to be the only one that feels this way? I think I want the less than ideal diamonds. But I don’t want to make a “mistake” I’ll regret. Can anyone relate to this at all?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
As long as you are making an informed decision and not overpaying for what you like I don’t see any issues. I like HPHT lab diamonds with blue nuance and natural diamonds with blue fluorescence that the market frowns on and discounts, and I’ll happily take the savings.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
No, but my preferred look generally has a slightly deeper depth (61-63%), slightly larger table (55-57%) and higher crown angle (at least 35). I'm not wearing a sarin report or a cert, I'm wearing a diamond, and they all have different personalities. You do you! There's a perfect diamond for everyone. :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a well cut round isn't doing it for someone I recommend they look at fancies rather than less well cut rounds.
Not that there are not well cut 60/60s but just saying....

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I had a diamond before my current one that favoured brilliance over fire, and I will admit, I too really love the face up brightness. I could go either way, although, my last stone was a 1.43 and this one is a 3 carat, I guess I haven't compared my old diamond's cut in my current diamond's size.

I guess this makes me wonder if size matters, what size are you looking at? I personally do not find my stone looks fake/cz/moissanite, but it's also set in a very well designed setting which is what I truly find makes a difference.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I picked a large 60+ table, 60-ish depth diamond personally. I liked it's beautiful white brilliance more compared to 8 diamonds I saw in person next to it (Office light, sunlight, no direct light) --- and 3 of the 8 had the standard "ideal proportions".

My final 2 selections were the one I picked and one of the ideals, which I could tell had a bit more fire...

It's simply a matter of taste. I could see myself going for a firey focused stone for a pendant next.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
As long as you are making an informed decision and not overpaying for what you like I don’t see any issues. I like HPHT lab diamonds with blue nuance and natural diamonds with blue fluorescence that the market frowns on and discounts, and I’ll happily take the savings.

Agree. Everyone should go for what their own eyes find beautiful. But don’t overpay.

I have a band of MRB (avatar pic) very-good-cuts and one reason I love them is that they do not go dark in the sun. I also had a 59/59 where all the angles still fell within the Holy Table parameters and it had so much fire. Ironically I had chosen it hoping for a bright, white, and boring look.

But a lot of non-ideal cuts actually look less than ideal. I bought a 54/71 for specimen collection purposes. It is a cool little oddity but there’s no denying that it has mush in the middle.
If you tried narrow-spec ideal cuts and don’t like them then you will not be making a mistake by getting something else.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This is such a great discussion!
The heart wants what the eyes like...I haven't been on PriceScope very long compared to many others, but I recall a couple/few threads where folks ended up returning their true SIC diamonds because they just didn't jive with their eyes and mind. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I quite like the 60-60 style. I think I'm one of those people on whom "super-ideals" are kind of lost - I think they're pretty, but frankly, I think all diamonds are pretty; and unless something is horrendously cut I don't much mind either way. I quite like how 60-60s look brighter/whiter and look bigger (because they're shallower).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results